Calories

Options
does it matter much where calories come from or just that I stay within my range?

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    For weight loss just stay in your goal range.
  • AggressivelyUnhungry
    Options
    Technically, you will lose weight if you consume fewer calories than you burn... but to be healthy, you need to get your calories from a good source. Eating 1,500 calories of fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, and lean protein (whatever the source) will ultimately be better for you than 1,000 calories of cheesecake!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Does it matter for what purpose?

Calories are for weight loss
    Macros for body composition
    Micros for health

That's a bit oversimplified (macros matter more if you have a medical condition) but it gives you a general idea. You'll also find that the type of food you eat matters for staying full, and therefore helps you meet your calorie goal with greater ease.
  • cdogthegreat0702
    cdogthegreat0702 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you will lose weight by staying in your range, but you'll have more energy eating healthy foods- not to mention you can consume more food by eating healthily than you would with ice cream and fried chicken.
  • mromano22
    mromano22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Yes. I mean how closely do I have to pay attention to how many carbs vs protein I eat of my 1200 cal allowance?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal...

For weight loss, it doesn't matter. A calorie is a calorie.

For body composition (maximizing fat loss and minimizing muscle loss), you'll need to eat enough protein (about 1g/lbs of LBM) and couple it with a progressive resistance training program.

For overall health, you'll need to get enough fat (avoid artificial trans fats), fiber, and other micros.

If you're struggling with adherence (assuming you've chosen a reasonable calorie goal), increase your intake of satiating foods. These are usually foods with protein, fat, and fiber.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    You'll get a few different answers to that, but generally, you want to ensure that you're eating a healthy amount of protein in order to help protect your lean body mass. When you keep a calorie deficit, it's not just fat that your body burns for fuel, it also burns muscle. Eating enough protein, and lifting weights, can help limit that muscle loss.

Eating enough good fats will help keep you satiated so you don't feel hungry all the time.

Eating enough fiber will keep your digestion going and feed your gut flora.

Personally, I changed my goals from what MFP recommended to 30% protein, and I count my fiber, but I don't worry about carbs and fats, as I don't eat a lot of fried food, and I do eat a lot of evoo, nuts, seafood and avocados. The less you have to keep up with, the easier it is to adhere to your plan.