Are cheat days bad for your diet?

Options
1235»

Replies

• audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree, it isn't just one factor. Which is why it is important for people to understand how their bodies respond. There are a number of reports of the technique working for many people, myself included, so I'm finding that the facts you're sharing and the ones I've found from anecdotal evidence and journal articles are not quite matching up. If nothing else, it has inspired me to read more research papers on the issue. Thank you for sharing your information.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If cheat days or meals help you adhere more strictly to your goals at other times, and your "cheat" is not calorie-laden enough to wipe out your deficit for the week, then it's doing more good than harm. If, on the other hand, you're eating too much during your "cheat" so that you're reversing the progress you've made, then what's the point?

But regardless, "cheat" is a terrible word to use, as it denotes something bad and sneaky and promotes an unhealthy relationship with food.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    But regardless, "cheat" is a terrible word to use, as it denotes something bad and sneaky and promotes an unhealthy relationship with food.

I agree.

The thing is ... what I've been eating while I've been losing weight here has been delicious and mostly satisfying (OK, I'm craving entire loaves of bread, but setting that aside ...). Low cal food doesn't have to be bland and boring. I just put away an immense bowl of spiced red lentil soup mixed with chow mein soft noodles for lunch. It was delicious, spicy, and filling ... and all up was just over 300 calories, which about normal for my lunches.

This whole idea of cheat meals leads me to believe that people are eating the most boring things imaginable and can't wait to break free and have something tasty. Why not incorporate tasty food in your normal every-day diet?

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cheat meal, didn't hurt me any
  • bigcle82
    bigcle82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    As a collage student, i tend to drink every weekend-not a glass or two of wine but more like four-five cocktails or so. Don't judge, you all know what it's like lol.
    It is at least 1000 calories that i don't need, and they don't bring me any nutrients, they are downright bad for me. But it's life and i have a lot of fun.
    Usually on saturdays i have cheat days. Never ever set me back where i would eat pizza, chocolate, although i still have treats every day just within my calories. Actually it always pushes my weight loss a little as i'm always lighter on Monday than on Friday morning haha.

Go ahead, enjoy life, think of this as a long term lifestyle. You're gonna drink and eat yummy meals, as long as you are healthy most of the time, it's all good :) It's not a race, getting fit is a long process that's never going to finish if you're serious about it. Even when you get to your GW you won't be like "good now i can eat all i want and lay on couch all day" It's even harder to control yourself when you're maintaining.

My point was, go ahead. ;)

When i drink i just mix some vodka with some crystal light. A lot fewer calories.

there you go or vodka, water and mio
  • jessjess6791
    jessjess6791 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bad for your diet, good for you psyche. At least in my opinion. Just get it all out then get back to business. =)
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on having a "treat" on Easter. I'm eating approximately 200 calories less each day this week, which will give me an extra 1200 calories to play with on Sunday and still hit my overall weekly goal. Macros may be a bit wonky, but, oh well. There's no way I'm missing out on my sister- in- law's prime rib and apple pie.