Should I Warm up with Cardio, Then go to Weights. Right or W

Options
The optimal workout is a 10-minute warm-up on a low-impact cardio machine followed by 30 minutes of weights and then 30 minutes of intense cardio.

By starting with weights, you alert your muscles to trigger the proteins that churn through calories while you train. So even though you're probably spent after 30 minutes of weights, your body is ready to eat fat faster than it would if you started by "telling" the body to attack sugar.

A lot of people get this wrong, thinking weight training diminishes the effect of the cardio work. It's the opposite. Just remember the phrase: "Muscle eats the fat." If you want to lose the flab -- and who doesn't? -- you want your muscles as active as possible.

That means starting with weights. If you only have 30 minutes total, go for weights instead of cardio. That sounds counterintuitive, since we feel sweating is "proof" we're losing fat. But you will lose a lot more fat by pushing and pulling weights and then going on a brisk walk in your neighborhood (or even at the mall).

The guy or gal who is dripping buckets on the Stairmaster is getting a good workout, but you're likely getting a better one by getting sore and not getting soaked.

reference: http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong

Replies

• irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    do you think it is more effective than interval training? and what about older folks and those w/stiff joints? is it still a good idea not to warm up?
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well this is good info, never really looked at it this way. Well I know a few people at the gym who only lft weights and no cardio at all and they say they never do cardio.
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been doing this for a while I always start out with a 5-10 minute run then hit the weights hard...then do a light cardio.. now I think I will up my after cardio to 30 minutes like you said and see what results I get thanks for the info....
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    Thanks! i will try this. I have read it before but I have read the other way around more and so I have been hestitant to try this. I know when I had a trainer she only wanted me to warm up 5 to 10 and she was ready to start doing weights and total body stuff.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    do you think it is more effective than interval training? and what about older folks and those w/stiff joints? is it still a good idea not to warm up?

always warm up for 5-10 minutes - A proper warm up safely prepares the body for the increased demands of exercise. Cold muscles do not absorb shock or impact as well, and are more susceptible to injury.

here is more info on it: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=10
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    what works for me:

Short warm up on no impact cardio, 30 in weights, lifting as HEAVY AS POSSIBLE in the 6-8 reps range, then 20 min of elliptical running. Weights get my heart rate up to 150 in no time and it stays there. If I do cardio for 30 min with no weights, I struggle to get it over 120.
  • mwhartley
    mwhartley Posts: 35
    Options
    Awesome info! Thanks, for this great topic!
  • fathomblue
    fathomblue Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info, now I know that I have been weight lifting too long, I was doing a mile run then doing heavy weightlifting for 1 hour, then running for 30 minutes, but by the time I was done I was exhausted. I'll tailor it as you suggested and see how it goes :)