Fitbit calorie adjustment

2»

Replies

• mlyn627
    mlyn627 Posts: 104 Member
    I think maybe it's because I changed my activity level to light activity in mfp. Could that be the reason the adjustments have gone down?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    mlyn627 wrote: »
    I think maybe it's because I changed my activity level to light activity in mfp. Could that be the reason the adjustments have gone down?

It could indeed.

What kind of walking are you doing? What's your BMR? (if you don't know, look here: http://iifym.com/bmr-calculator/)
  • mlyn627
    Nothing aside from the normal everyday walking, I don't even do any extra walking. BMR is 1622
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    I think I am confused. I don't think this was for me, my diary isn't public. Or at least I don't think it is. If it is, my really high calories burn days are hikes that last about 8 hours, 10 plus miles, with a pack.

I only enter my exercise on my fit bit and let it all come over. I make sure to get the right time logged, so it won't count pilates as steps, or what ever else I do in the gym. I don't mess with the hikes.

quote="mlyn627;30122014"]Nothing aside from the normal everyday walking, I don't even do any extra walking. BMR is 1622[/quote]
    Myrmilt wrote: »
    I have my fit bit set at sedentary - it took me some time to figure out the website as I do almost everything via the app.

I have noticed that the fit bit gives me more calories than MFP - but overall the difference isn't that great. I think it's because I have them both set on sedentary with no workouts.

I was adding in my workouts on MFP, but it was making the fit bit adjustment whacky. I think it was due to timing issues, I take my fit bit off when doing yoga or something like that, but I wasn't putting in the right time. I have decided to change that and add all my exercises to the fit bit and let it come over to MFP as one adjustment.

Honestly (don't hate on me), if I had had the fit bit before finding MFP, I probably wouldn't be using MFP. 2 separate systems that track it all versus the one that is on my wrist. But I like seeing the difference, and I really like the weekly reports fit bit sends me via email.

And if my phone hadn't broke and lost all my food data after a month of tracking it, I wouldn't be on either program. Having the data in 2 sources on the web allows me to always have the data. (until the zombies come and the web dies)

Make sure calorie adjustments are off on the FitBit (settings - preferences), especially if you're taking your FitBit off.

Those are really high burns. Are you logging your exercises in both places?

I only log exercises that FitBit can't measure - and I log them on MFP. So yoga, weight lifting, stretching are all logged on here, and they transfer over to FitBit automatically. Anything step related shouldn't be logged anywhere IMO - that's what the FitBit is for.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I have the Fitbit synced to MFP but I eat based on what Fitbit tells me. I just have them synced so it WILL give me more than 1200 calories here when I track my food. But if Fitbit tells me I burned 2250, then I try to eat 1500, regardless of what MFP tells me I can eat.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    And awesome, I quoted the wrong thing. Meh, hopefully who ever needed the advice got it. I think mine is working fine, or at least well enough that I am currently losing with my intake.
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Following on from this thread and previous thread on a similar subject, I had my MFP set to Sedentary and was regularly having large Fitbit adjustments of over 500 calories due to the number of steps I was taking and found I wasn't really having the expected loss. Following the advice from a previous thread, I adjusted my MFP to Lightly Active, this has effectively dropped my daily calories by 200 psi after the daily Fitbit adjustment.
    Hopefully this should get my loss back on track.
  • mlyn627
    Following on from this thread and previous thread on a similar subject, I had my MFP set to Sedentary and was regularly having large Fitbit adjustments of over 500 calories due to the number of steps I was taking and found I wasn't really having the expected loss. Following the advice from a previous thread, I adjusted my MFP to Lightly Active, this has effectively dropped my daily calories by 200 psi after the daily Fitbit adjustment.
    Hopefully this should get my loss back on track.
    I changed my mfp to lightly active and my adjustments are a little less now, but still higher than I think they should be. I am still just eating my goal in mfp and ignoring my adjustments for now. I will reevaluate it in a couple of weeks and see if it's working.
  • I noticed that my app was counting steps when I wasn't even moving. I had my app open on the counter while cooking and I was tapping the spatula with my dominate hand(with the Fitbit on.) I tapped the pan it counted 10 steps. I did it again and it counted ten more steps. Maybe it's counting fast repetitive motions?
  • Gene2727
    Gene2727 Posts: 7 Member
    I just bought a fitbit charge hr and mfp was giving me too many allowed calories, I set my level of activity to very active and now only the actual workouts are calculated
  • mlyn627
    I think mine is still giving me too many exercise calories, so I never use them for my daily allowed amount.
  • HAS415
    HAS415 Posts: 48 Member
    I'm having a big problem. I have my fit bit synched to MFP. here's the big problem. Well, there's two. I think my fitbit is counting my steps wrong. They are high. Like really high. I didn't realize I was THAT active. Even worst is the end of the day when I finally submit my diary and finalize it it gives me the calories over. Like last night was 22. I look a bit later it said I was 90 something over. Then I look today and it said I was like 300 over last night. How the hell can that happen when I didn't eat any more food after I finalized it. It's driving me nuts. I need to meet a calorie goal so I expect to go over a bit but not 300. I'm supposed to be gaining about 5 more lbs to meet a goal before I can start training again. This is throwing me off. I have an eating disorder which really complicates things and this is making things hard for me.