Scared of the dreaded scales!

Options
I haven't weighed myself in around 2/3 years. I have gained a lot of weight and I am absolutely terrified of stepping on them, to the point where I have slight anxiety even thinking about it. I have refused numerous times at the doctors and hospital. I know it needs to be done but I can't bring myself to it. Any advice?

Replies

• aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale away so you aren't tempted? I don't do them either.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you want to know your weight you would need to step on a scale, but not everyone uses scales. You could take measurements. This website also tracks inches. Relying on photos is another option. Having update photos of your progress can be nice.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Your medical practitioners need to know how much you weigh so they can accurately prescribe medication dosage, etc...

If it bothers you that much, then agree to step on the scale but tell the doc/nurse that you don't want to know what it says. Close your eyes and let them do what they need to do.

You can use something else as your own measuring stick. How do your favorite pants fit? Okay, next time you wear them... how do they fit? Do they fit looser? Sweet, you're going in the right direction.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just rip the bandaid off.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest reasons why I've had weight loss success during the last five months that I didn't have during the last five years is because I stepped on the scale. I knew I was overweight, but I didn't want to admit how overweight I was. I tried losing weight without looking and it didn't work. When I finally stepped on the scale, I was twenty pounds heavier than I thought I was.

I wish I could tell you what I did to overcome the anxiety, but I'm not sure what I did. I just know that I somehow pushed the fear of feeling sick aside long enough to look. Something you might try is stepping on the scale and letting a friend look, but have the friend promise to tell you later and in a way you aren't expecting. Once you know what you weigh, it gets easier, because you'll probably never weigh that much again (at least not for a while).
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Not knowing the number on the scales doesn't change the reality of it. I think it's nice to know your starting point. Then you can see how far you've come... whether that's a week from now, a month, a year or several years. If it's higher than you're expecting, then that's just going to make it all the more impressive when you reach your goal weight! Plus knowing might help to motivate you to stick to your goals.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I recently avoided the scale b/c I was afraid that I had gained weight. Turns out I did, but it was only 2 lbs. So now back at it trying to lose 27 lbs.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Everyone is different, but ignoring the scales got me fatter and fatter. It was too easy to say "These cheap-quality shirts always shrink in the dryer, I really must invest in some good clothes one of these days" and "My pants still fit, things can't be all THAT bad." One day I got on the scales...and yep...things were that bad. I had managed to stretch my pants with all my fat.

There are people who do just great with no weighing, so I'm not saying everyone's experience is going to be exactly like mine. But I can say that knowing the truth and no longer hiding it from myself was a real wake-up call, and since then, I've lost 29 lbs.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    jodiealgar wrote: »
    "...I have gained a lot of weight and I am absolutely terrified of stepping on them....Any advice?"

lose weight and grow a pair in no particular order?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    One of the biggest reasons why I've had weight loss success during the last five months that I didn't have during the last five years is because I stepped on the scale. I knew I was overweight, but I didn't want to admit how overweight I was. I tried losing weight without looking and it didn't work. When I finally stepped on the scale, I was twenty pounds heavier than I thought I was.

This is pretty much the same for me too.

I didn't weigh myself for years and then did, as part of accepting where I was and doing something about it. It hurt, but then I owned it and lost the weight. Kept it off for 5 years and then things happened and I started to regain. I knew I was regaining but kept not wanting to see the evidence so decided I lose first. Nope. Kept gaining, kept putting off weighing myself, kept planning to really start losing a bit later. Actually got into a good weight loss mode for a while, biked a lot, ate well, lost a few sizes, but didn't weigh and after a few months fell out of it, gradually at first and then I was back to where I was.

When I finally decided that this was it I could tell I was the heaviest I'd ever been but figured I was just a bit more. No, it was over 20 lbs more than my previous high. That was really painful at first, but once again the knowledge and acceptance became part of me being able to make a concrete plan with goals, and ultimately contributed to me sticking with it. There was a real difference vs the time I lost without weighing even with the lost sizes, because the scale let me see results way before I could any other way and once I started seeing them that really helped keep me motivated.

Now I weigh every day because getting over that foolish scale fear and the power it had over me is important--I'm never going to go that long without weighing. Sure, I don't like it when it's up, but my mood is no longer that affected by it--I mostly see it as just useful data (along with other things like measurements and how clothes fit) that I can deal with rationally.

I'm someone who does have a huge and self-destructive tendency toward avoidance, admittedly--forcing myself to see and accept what I'm scared of or avoiding has always been something important to addressing my problems, so I guess it's not surprising weight was the same. This may not be the same for everyone, but trying to see the scale number as just a piece of data is something that I suspect can be helpful for many of us.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Because denial and avoidance make *everything* better, right?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Just step on it already. Not knowing your weight won't make it any more or less.

But knowing you weight x or y might just motivate you to lose weight. Might shock you into losing weight if it's much higher than you thought. Or might be a relief when you find your not as heavy as you see in the mirror.

Lucky for me I guess my scales didn't go high enough. So I lost any where up to 15 kg before I could weigh myself.
  • jodiealgar
    jodiealgar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    "...I have gained a lot of weight and I am absolutely terrified of stepping on them....Any advice?"

If only it was that easy?

I'm not in denial, I know that it needs to be done. I know it's just a number but it's a big deal for someone who's overweight.

• jodiealgar
    Options
    Thank you for the replies everyone! I'll keep your advice in mind next time I'm asked to be weighed by a doctor or nurse :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies everyone! I'll keep your advice in mind next time I'm asked to be weighed by a doctor or nurse :)

You don't own bathroom scales?
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I found knowing the number motivating. It gave me a number to aim for. It keeps me motivated on a daily basis. The losses inspire me to keep loosing and the gains and maintains make me work harder for a loss at next weigh in. Just do it. It might give you the push you need to really focus. I cried when I first stepped on, and I never want to feel like that again, so I took control.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself in around 2/3 years. I have gained a lot of weight and I am absolutely terrified of stepping on them, to the point where I have slight anxiety even thinking about it. I have refused numerous times at the doctors and hospital. I know it needs to be done but I can't bring myself to it. Any advice?

I'm not in denial, I know that it needs to be done. I know it's just a number but it's a big deal for someone who's overweight.

"Absolutely terrified" and "slight anxiety" do not compute. And your behavior suggests absolutely terrified. Everyone on this board is overweight, but not everyone hides from the scale. I think you're in denial about your denial.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options

First time I stepped on the scale I saw 248.8. Just get on the thing! Its not scary, sure I knew I was going to hate the number, but it was just the push I needed! It's not a big deal, it's a big motivator!!!
  • jodiealgar
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

You don't own bathroom scales?

I do but I'd rather it be accurate than under or above.
  • jodiealgar
    Options

"Absolutely terrified" and "slight anxiety" do not compute. And your behavior suggests absolutely terrified. Everyone on this board is overweight, but not everyone hides from the scale. I think you're in denial about your denial.

Maybe because not everyone is the same? The reason I'm terrified is because I suffered with bulimia and have only really started recovering from it, I'm anxious that it will trigger it off again. I didn't want to discuss it but seeing as I'm being accused of being in denial...