New to site but not new to weight loss...already starving

Options
Hi all,
I normally don't post to these sites, I am more of a "lurker" as I figure most of my issues or questions have already been answered. I was on a different site years ago and managed to go off the deep end. I lost my goal of 20ish pounds but couldn't stop...developed a lovely eating disorder and had to retrain myself to act normal. I have gained all of the weight back...now, I am not fat by any means, I am just looking to shed a little weight so my muscle shows better. Today is day 2 of my goal to drop 13 pounds...and I am already hitting a wall. I am sick, and did not realize these silly cough drops have 15 calories in each drop! Need less to say they have taken the space of my pm snack, and its not even pm yet....lol. I'm starving...trying to distract myself. So just wanted to say hi and will probably pop in from time to time as my weight progresses.

7503941.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• mierla
    mierla Posts: 25
    Options
    When you're ill probably isnt the best time to start losing! I'd start in a week or 2 when you're feeling better. And think, as long as you're below or on your BMR you'll be losing! Starving will just make you more likely to binge later so have some fruit or veg and go a bit over.

I get the munchies with period pain, so I just have to stop counting for a week or so.. These things are life!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP - hope you can go about losing your 13 pounds in a healthy way. Just a thought - if 15-calories-each cough drops are taking the place of your afternoon snack, then you may not be eating enough calories. Please make sure that you're eating *enough* - restricting calories too much does more harm than good. with only 13 lbs to go, your weight loss goal should be only 1/2 a pound a week, and you should be eating most of your exercise calories.

Check out this thread: you'd be Stage Three or Stage Four.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/49690-the-banks-plan

Edited to add: I agree with the above poster - if you're sick, you need to focus on getting well. Your body needs adequate nutrition to take care of itself. It might be best for you to switch to maintenance calories (you can do this through the "goals" tab on the homepage) until you're feeling better.
  • SoUnaware
    SoUnaware Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know what it's like to get sucked into an ED and then gain all the weight back while trying to recover. Lucky you, you have muscles though! I have none!! I'm getting to my goal weight and then focusing on muscle building! I think because you're sick, you should go a little bit easier on yourself. An if cough drops are taking up an entire snack, it sounds like you're not eating enough anyway!
    I try to break down my 1200 calories into at least 4 meals, but most days I try for 5. I slept in today so it'll probably be four. That's a good start there. I LOVE food, so it's like I'm eating all the time :D
  • MsLaurie65
    MsLaurie65 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am sorry you don't feel well. Don't press when you are sick, it will probably make you feel worse. But take your time with this, you are not in a race with anyone on here, we care to much to do that. Just watch what you eat, log in your food, exercise and drink water and just watch those little ole' pounds come off!
  • frenchielover
    Options
    LOL....thanks SoUnaware, its not that I'm not eating enough....the goal I have set is 1,260 cals per day. The problem is that I can't stop coughing in our office and its embarrassing so I'm gobbling up basically an entire bag of cough drops. heh. Once I am totally healthy again in a couple of days I can get back to exercising and not obsessing over these silly calories like cough drops. I just think I am realizing that I was REALLY indulging before tracking food again...and drinking too much too.
  • frenchielover
    Options
    mrsjones....you are FABULOUS..Good advice!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Use the search function if you are uncomfortable asking questions that you feel may have been asked before but also remember that this is your weight loss not anyone elses and replies to one person will not always apply to you.

you generally need more calories when ill but even if you don't there is no need to go without food, what is the point of going hungry if its likely to make you feel miserable and in turn make you feel like quitting...no point at all so write off todays cough drops and eat supper!.

I echo what accountant_boi said, with only 13 lbs to lose you should have your goal set at 1/2lb a week, any more than that and you may find yourself hitting a plateau sooner rather than later.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Can't see what you are eating so hard to advise but I can tell you that eating protein and fiber is what keeps you full during the day. Exercise also helps!