breakfast smoothies/shakes?

Options
purplejellies
purplejellies Posts: 6 Member
So i like to read and since this is my new i guess life long hobby, because we all know fit and healthy isnt just something temporary, it is a life long goal to maintain even after you have lost the weight you wanted to. I hear you need to eat 5 small meals a day 2-3 hours apart from each other. that being said iv also read that breakfast smoothies and shakes are an awesome way to start your day and even as snacks :). Any body have any healthy recipes for shakes/smoothies?

Replies

• akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My absolute fav....

-1.5 frozen bananas (I keep a big bag of peeled, halved bananas in the freezer at all times)
    -1 cup liquid - you can use almond milk, low fat milk, a combo of milk and water
    -1 tbsp natural peanut butter

Blend and enjoy.

Healthier = frozen berries, spinach, milk/water/juice.
  • uffis2003
    Options
    1cup almond milk one cup mix frozen fruits and I spoon of vanilla whey protein powder
  • purplejellies
    Options
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    My absolute fav....

-1.5 frozen bananas (I keep a big bag of peeled, halved bananas in the freezer at all times)
    -1 cup liquid - you can use almond milk, low fat milk, a combo of milk and water
    -1 tbsp natural peanut butter

Blend and enjoy.

Healthier = frozen berries, spinach, milk/water/juice.

can you use SOY Milk?
  • purplejellies
    Options
    uffis2003 wrote: »
    1cup almond milk one cup mix frozen fruits and I spoon of vanilla whey protein powder

does it have to be whey protein powder? i have soy protein powder.
  • BRITTBRAT29
    Options
    I like to do a shake with 1/2 a cup kale 1/2 a cup spinach a cup of frozen berries almond milk and a tablespoon of almond butter
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just made a protein shake with 1 banana, 1tsp Cocoa powder, 3tbsp whey protein powder, coconut water, ice. It was surprisingly good but a bit sweet for my taste so would prob go half a banana next time.

I also like green smoothies with Apple, kale, date, water/coconut water.
  • dtsbrown
    dtsbrown Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup Greek yogurt
    1/2 frozen banana
    2 tbs rolled oats
    2tbs flax seed
    1/3 cup vanilla soy milk
    Very yummy and healthy!!!
  • sadiebaird21292
    sadiebaird21292 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1 banana
    1 orange
    5-6 strawberrys
    1/2cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 cup plain greek yogurt

I also add a few handfuls of kale or spinach if I have it on hand

Favorite smoothie!!
  • Chrisea3
    Chrisea3 Posts: 1
    Options
    1/2 banana, 1/2 grapefruit, about cup of mix of aloe vera juice and water with ice ,plus chia for me like a dash and blend
    very refreshing and with protein with the chia ,hope this helps:)
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have been trying silken tofu smoothies lately and lovin them!

12 oz of silken tofu
    3/4 cup blueberries
    3/4 cup raspberries
    1 banana
    8 oz of pomegranate juice (optional, can use some water or almond milk or whatever to thin out smoothie)
    1.5 tbs chia seeds (optional, but adds nutrition and a fun crunch)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options

If you like gingerbread, Oxygen magazine has a recipe for a delicious Gingerbread cookie shake: 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup vanilla enriched Rice Dream, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 T molasses, and ice cubes. Blend and drink ! Mmmmmm

I also like a Creamsicle, which is a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat vanilla yogurt. Blend and drink.

The Protein Packed Pina Colada smoothie is blended with the following ingredients: Cup cottage cheese, cup canned pineapple or cup pineapple juice, half a frozen banana, half a cup of milk, 1 T coconut, half a scoop vanilla protein powder, and a cup of ice cubes.

The Key Lime Protein Shake is blended with half an avocado, juice of a lime, 2 tsp lime zest, 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, 1 T coconut, a cup of milk, and 1-2 packets of Stevia (optional).

The Chocolate Maple Shake is made by blending a cup of milk, 3 T protein powder, 1 T cocoa powder, and 1 tsp maple syrup

Last but not least, for a change, I blend a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of chocolate protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat coffee yogurt. Also good!

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Smoothie.

I also like a Creamsicle, which is a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat vanilla yogurt. Blend and drink.

Lately I also add a tsp of each of the following: Chia seeds, Sesame seeds, Goji powder, Acai powder, Cinnamon , Cacao nibs or cocoa powder, Hemp seeds, Flax seeds (half tsp), Powdered Calcium, Vitamin D – liquid and Maca, along with a choice of either: Beet, carrot, or pomegranate powder, tart cherry

It's quite a drink!

• melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup raw rolled oats
    1/2 cup low fat plain yogurt
    1/2 frozen banana
    1 1/2 cups of frozen pineapple
    2 cups kale, spinach, chard

Makes a huge smoothie and it's less then 400 calories. I'm full until lunch. Plus the oats are good for fiber, breast cancer, heart disease, and diabete prevention.

I sub out the pineapple for an apple or pear with blueberries at times or a whole banana. If you add a 2 tbs. of unsweetened cocoa powder, you have a chocolate shake. I also like using peanut butter powder for a protein boost.

A chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie fulfills my sweet tooth in the healthiest of ways!
  • Bereyff
    Bereyff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take one cup of kefir (plain) and blend it with a cup of frozen berries for a 180 calories or less with a dash of plain stevia. Delicious
  • soyebo
    soyebo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found this smoothie refreshing
    1-cup unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 cup mixed berries frozen
    1/2 banana frozen
    2 tablespoons of rice protein
    2 tablespoons of flex seeds
    The flex seeds are placed in the blender last to make sure they are grind up well.
    This keeps me full until lunch.
  • hakola542005
    hakola542005 Posts: 2
    edited April 2015
    Options
    8 oz unsweetened cashew milk
    1 tablespoon of pb2 (powered peanut butter)
    1 tablespoon of hersey's unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 scoop of chocolate protien powder
    2 ice cubes
    Blend
    Enjoy
    Tastes like a Reese cup and 160-180 calories depending on your protien mix
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been doing Matcha (Green Tea) Smoothies

1/2 c. cold water
    1/2 c. milk (soy, coconut, almond, whatever floats your boat)
    2tsp Matcha powder
    1 scoop protein powder (I use Vega One natural)
    1 tsp honey
    1 banana (or 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks)
    2-3 ice cubes