Stronglifts - help please

Options
jontucc
jontucc Posts: 142 Member
i am new to lifting and feel lost like I don't know if I am doing this right. Have decided to try the strong lifts program and am really struggling with just lifting the 20kg bar for some of the workouts therefore reduced the starting weights.
Here is where I am at after my first workouts:

A:

Squat 20kg
Bench 10kg
Barbell row 10kg

B:
Squat 20kg
Overhead press 7.5kg
Deadlift 25kg

Does this look ok? I was able to finish the sets although some I really struggled with and feel like my form was not good. should increase by 2.5kg next workout or stay on my current weight until I feel my form is good for all sets?I am really weak with the overhead press and bench press so will it cause imbalance if I progress on the others and stay on the same weight with these until it feels easier? Also my muscles are sore does this mean I should rest extra days? So far I have only done a workout on Monday and Wednesday so my next one is Friday.
Would appreciate any help or guidance, thx

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Focus on fixing your form first. Injury is inevitable if you keep increasing weight with bad form.

Also it's fine if some of your lifts progress quicker than others. Usually your bench and overhead press will be much lower than your squat and deadlift. That's completely normal.

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The weights are fine. Don't worry about how heavy you are lifting right now. Form is the most important thing, so it makes me nervous that you say you think your form was bad. Do not be ashamed to go lighter if it helps your form. If necessary, you can ask a trainer at the gym for form help. I got one free personal training session when I joined my gym and I used it on them helping me with my squat form.

Like you, I also started with less than the standard bar weight for bench, rows, and OHP. No shame in that. You will work up to the heavier weights faster than you think.

Remember, the goal is to do five sets of five reps of each exercise, with GOOD FORM. So stay at each weight until you can accomplish that. For example, you may be ready to move up in weight for squats, but not bench. That's okay. Technically you are supposed to add weight every time, yes, but that's ONLY if you completed all sets and reps with good form the last time. If you were unable to do that, stay at the same weight until you've got it down, then move up.

M/W/F is a good plan with rest days in between. It's okay to still be sore for your next workout as long as you are able to work out, again, with good form. Hope I did an okay job explaining this, but basically yes it looks like you're off to a good start, and don't be afraid to take it slow!
  • jontucc
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it. I will drop back on the weights and concentrate on my form. I feel it wasn't good on some of the lifts because I could feel I using my lower back too much. My husband helps check my form but I think he gets a bit annoyed because he doesn't fully agree with the way Mehdi lifts...so I may have to try a session at the gym. I am working out at home for now because of two young kiddies and working full time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I stay at a particular weight until I can get through all 5 sets with good form. Then I'll move up, and repeat.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I started on weights like these too so don't worry. You can see on my profile my current lifts (I started in August). My bench still isn't great but definitely an improvement on when I first started and I still get a kick out of just the empty bar as it reminds me of my progress :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    Focus on increasing weight first. Injury is unlikely if you keep increasing weight with bad form.

Also it's fine if some of your lifts progress quicker than others. Usually your bench and overhead press will be much lower than your squat and deadlift. That's completely normal.

This is terrible advice.
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Focus on increasing weight first. Injury is unlikely if you keep increasing weight with bad form.

This is terrible advice.

So what is some 'good' advice?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    CAC10456 wrote: »

This is terrible advice.

Focus on form, not just increasing weight.
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Form Form Form Form!!!!

I agree that walterc7's approach is terrible, in fact quite dangerous advice. I agree about asking a trainer, as they can give hints and tips for safe and successful lifting.

I started stronglifts 5 weeks ago and yesterday I deadlifted 100kg!!! My form was pretty good, but I am not 100% happy so I am going to drop to 90/95 for my next workout and concentrate on form.
  • jontucc
    Options
    I think walterc advice may have been a typo then edited bc when I read it, it says focus on form before increasing weight and not what was quoted.

Thanks for all the advice. My main worries was that not progressing meant not stimulating muscle growth and I was worried about imbalance if some lifts were much heavier than others.
    I think I am on the right track now. Will keep weight lighter until I am happy with my form.

Also, my back shoulder and neck feels really sore and stiff. Is this typical?
    Also do you do some type of stretching or cool down after the workout ?
    Sorry so many questions..

• silver_inca
    silver_inca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    personally, I wouldn't worry about the actual weight too much. It is not set in stone :) I struggled with overhead press at 35kg, and bench press at 55, so i dropped down to 30kg/50kg and purchased some 0.5 & 1 kg discs and now i have set my increments to 1kg, instead of the preset 2.5kg. I feel better & small steps works for me :)
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Your neck shouldn't be sore...make sure you don't have the barbell on the back of your neck for the squats. I'm just starting Stronglifts for the second time. I tried it last year but ended up training for a half marathon and slacked off the weight training because I was struggling to find time for everything.
  • jontucc
    Options
    julielh72 wrote: »
    Your neck shouldn't be sore...make sure you don't have the barbell on the back of your neck for the squats. I'm just starting Stronglifts for the second time. I tried it last year but ended up training for a half marathon and slacked off the weight training because I was struggling to find time for everything.
    Thanks, I think u r right, the barbell was in the wrong position. I think I had trouble balancing the barbell.
  • jibeirish
    jibeirish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I find locking my shoulder blades together when the barbell is resting on my shoulders helps to keep it sitting right, also using no weight on the barbell to perfect my form really helped

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of Stronglifts and form is key. I am still on the same weights for overhead presses until I know I can do them perfectly. Same with the rows. My legs are pretty strong and have moved up consistently on Squats and Deadlifts. You'll know when you are ready to move on to the next weight. I never stretch after but that's just me. I usually do some kind cardio after my SL. Good luck.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    CAC10456 wrote: »

This is terrible advice.

Focus on form, not just increasing weight.

Agreed. But if your form is still not good after 3 or 4 tries at that weight lower the weight...

It's not about upping the weights as much as it is getting your form down at the start.

Once your form is nailed down you will increase your weights and find you don't stall out as much or as quickly...

• jontucc
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies. :)

I will be watching videos on form and practicing will the standard bar until I get my form right.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Focus on fixing your form first. Injury is inevitable if you keep increasing weight with bad form.

This! Toss ego aside and have a trainer teach you perfect form. After multiple injuries trying to muscle through and lifting way too much weight a professional body builder taught me perfect form just using a broomstick at first and then worked up to a bar. You will be amazed at your progress once your form is perfected.

Videos help as well, but often the angles are insufficient. I also find that women are much better at describing detail and fine motor skills and do a much better job in helping you perfect form.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Nope. Evengi was just being cheeky and edited my response in his quote to troll you all.
  • mikeywalaszewski
    mikeywalaszewski Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do the bar either man, now my squats are almost 200 pounds. Form like everyone else said, so you don't snap yourself up. Also, I found using knee wraps or compression helped A LOT. I love stronglifts, simple but effective. If you have any questions please ask because I really struggled before i excelled with it. So I know where you're coming from! Good luck brother! You can do it!