Exercising after a stroke

Options
hello everyone and I'm new here. I've recently had a stroke and I changed my diet started tracking my calories here. Now for exercising, I started walking at a slow pace. I'm still very tired but need to build up strength. Does anyone have any good suggestions on something else I can do safely for now til my doctor says I can increase.

Replies

• Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'd build your endurance first so you can exercise without getting so tired. If you are on a treadmill, slowly increase the incline on your walk. Maybe do some body weight movements if he allows it. (you can look those up with like "body weight exercise" )
  • sherylyoconnor
    Options
    :D
  • sherylyoconnor
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I see my doctor today. So far I don't have any weakness in my left side except my face. I want to be very careful as one of my meds makes me sleepy. I'm trying to push for physical therapy cause they will provide speech therapy also. Since I work in retail I need my smile and for people to understand me. I very much love my job. It truly is the job of my dreams.
  • Mawgeena
    Mawgeena Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's me Barb, I worked retail for 16 years. Now I run a banquet hall and bar. Not sure when I will get back to work. I am on plavix, aspirin and atavan. So sleepy but resist lying down. Walking around the house helps me burp. So much indigestion from these meds. I try to walk the park at a slow pace. Also lay on my yoga mat that is over a soft rug. I stretch out and lift 2 pound weights which are heavy after the stroke..
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    hi, i'm sheri,
    i teach SilverSneakers, which is a chair exercise class for seniors or those with recent surgeries or injuries, or with chronic health problems. i teach at the YMCA. if you are near a Y, check to see if they have these classes. or, look online at silversneakers.com to see if anywhere near you has these classes. if you are a senior, you may be able to get a free gym membership if they offer SS at that facility. message me if you have any questions.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    hello everyone and I'm new here. I've recently had a stroke and I changed my diet started tracking my calories here. Now for exercising, I started walking at a slow pace. I'm still very tired but need to build up strength. Does anyone have any good suggestions on something else I can do safely for now til my doctor says I can increase.

Please run this by your doctor...I worked with a 90 year old woman who had a stroke and then a few tia's that followed. her right side was weak and her leg would drag....her hand could not write as it once could. I took her to the pools at Healthtrax gyms (rehab pools) and with a noodle around her back (to hold her up) we would mimic riding a bicycle and kicking...I would do it with her and she would mimic me. Then a physical therapist was added to this water work and she added weights to her ankles...we did this 5 days a week. In one years time..she did not need a walker anymore but kept her cane just in case. We healed her. I think we would have progressed further but her grown children removed me...they did not want her well they wanted to put her in a home. How sad huh.

• sherylyoconnor
    Options
    Thanks my husband told me to go to he pool. We have one in our complex. My weakness is on the left side of my face. I've been doing smiling exercises.
  • sherylyoconnor
    Options
    I'm inky 47. The doctor told me I was too young to strut having these problems. I've called s gym next door to me but they told me I have to have clearance from my doctor first.
  • sherylyoconnor
    Options
    Hey Barb I'm also in Plavix and Lipitor along with coenzyme and B1 asprin and the list goes on. I don't remember my blood pressure meds but like you in sleepy all the time. I also work retail as a Store Manager. I really love my job and my boss is amazing.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Sheryl- I had a mild stroke in 2013, after a week I came home and started on exercise bands and a lot of simple mobility balance work.
    You don't need cardio, and these exercises like walking toe to heel BACKwards..along a wall for balance, Doing Knee lifts, stepping up and then down just ONE stair step. Really simple repetitive, makes a difference. as my Dr said DO the most the first 6 weeks after as that's when the brain will remember best. if you just sit and say I'll wait till ..whenever…. you lose valuable time you won't make up later. A rubber exercise band, tied with a loop at one end, put your foot in the loop, hold the other end, while seated, and push pull to add tension to work the muscles.

I had a walker w/ big wheels and did 1/4 then 1/2 mile walks down my street. look up stroke exercises online too.

Don't laff at this, but I did something the tech had never seen and she recommended it to the staff for other stroke patients. They give you a tub of gummy putty dough to squeeze for your hand. OK Put that putty onto a cookie sheet or tray, set it on the floor in front of your chair, and roll your bare foot and toes over it, (seated is safest) squeeze and twist with your toes for several minutes. your feet have HALF the bones in your body, and relearning delicate muscle balance by pushing the roll of dough, or treading it works. And put down large marbles, thick pens and try to grab with the toes. we rarely go barefoot in our culture so this is a good time to build up muscle memory and takes little real strength. if you are squeamish get a putty tub just for your foot work exercises. For hands they tell you to pick up pennies, various small nuts and screws to retrain the fingers too.
    Good Luck.
  • tonihunter945
    tonihunter945 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

• tonihunter945
    Options
    Asking your doctor would be best because you are a risk for falls and you don't want to hurt yourself
  • tonihunter945
    Options

• tonihunter945
    Options
    In 3 months I will be a RN so if I can help just ask I'm here for you. I need to lose weight because of my high blood pressure and I want to practice what I preach
  • sherylyoconnor
    Options
    :)
  • sherylyoconnor
    Options
    KETOGENICGURLKETOGENICGURL I will look into that. I've been doing some resistance training like walking my dog around my spartment complex. I guess I'm trying to do too much too fat cause I still have more tests to do. Will find out on my next appointment.