Quit Smoking, Gained Weight

Options
amyk113
amyk113 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
Ugh!
Gained 10lbs quitting smoking.
Obviously it was worth it and quitting smoking was way worse for me but these couple lbs need to go. Everything fits just a bit too tight. Started working out 4 days a week or more. I just can't stop snacking! I keep shoveling food in my mouth to compensate for there not being a cigarette in there. I wish I could just not have food in the house but I have two kids so there are always snacky stuff to temp me. Anyway, hoping it gets better.

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    amyk113 wrote: »
    I just can't stop snacking!

This is why you have gained weight.
  • amyk113
    amyk113 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your keen insight. Quite helpful.
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    With you working out AND just quitting smoking, I know it's difficult to fight those cravings. However, you could try eating healthier, low-calorie snacks when you feel like you need to snack on something. I decided to stop eating red meat, but my mother makes beef or pork for dinner at least 4 nights a week because my dad needs to gain weight. And it's hard, because I LOVE pork... But on nights when she makes them, I either have some tuna or prepare myself a serving of chicken. It definitely helped me, because it's been about a month now and I haven't had a single bite of pork. (:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You will have to exercise more willpower. If you keep shovelling food in your mouth unchecked, you won't progress.
  • bikinbeth
    bikinbeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Quitting also slows metabolism and I already have low thyroid. I've been chewing sugar free gum and eating tic tacs. You still have to count them tho. I go thru a lot. I am up about 6 lbs since end of January.
  • Kathryn97Perry
    Kathryn97Perry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with quitting smoking but I may have a few helpful tips. There have been studies that say if you infuse your body with vitamin c then it will help to detox your body. The vitamin c will help to flush out the toxins from food and drinks that make your body crave even more food and then it could be easier to ease up on the snacking. Good luck to you!!
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I went through something similar. I quit smoking (unfortunately I fell off the wagon since :( ) and I found my appetite definitely increased! One of the reasons quitting smoking causes weight gain is because nicotine is a stimulant, similar to caffeine. It suppresses your appetite to a certain extent, and it gives your metabolism a slight bump. Obviously, those do not weigh out the numerous terrible side effects, so good for you for quitting! It's definitely not easy, so major kudos! If you can quit smoking, you can definitely lose weight! You are obviously strong and have immense will power! First off, since you quit, you no longer get the slight metabolism boost from nicotine (it's very slight though, so don't worry!). Your body WILL adjust to this. Working out will definitely help as well, as regular exercise increases your metabolism much more than nicotine! So keep up the good work in being active! Also, make sure you drink plenty of water. It helps keep you fuller, so you do not feel the need to snack as often! Keep a water bottle with you at all times. When you are tempted to snack, drink some water first. Then, if you are still hungry, you are probably truly hungry and not just bored or craving a cigarette. At that point it is ok to have a healthy snack. It can be hard when other people in your house keep tempting, not so healthy food around. Try putting those items in a cabinet you do not go in often to avoid them. Keep healthy snacks readily available, so when you want to reach for a snack those are the things you grab! Cut up raw veggies and fruits and keep them right inside the fridge. Also keep around protein bars, greek yogurt, raw, unsalted nuts, and string cheese. Those are good quick grab and go snacks that are healthier options. Just remember, you will get through this and be so much healthier since you quit! And, if you do fall off the wagon, you will have to quit all over again and end up gaining even more weight,so it's better to just keep going now and not backslide! Good luck:)
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Ziplock bags. Buy lots. Portion out snack foods into the bags when you open them. For example, I bought a large bag of tortilla chips (I like chips and salsa for snacking. Salsa is low cal, chips not quite as low) but I counted out the number of chips in a single serving and put them in a ziplock. Then I put the baggies back in the torilla bag to hold them all. Now I can grab the right portion of chips without accidentally over eating. You can do it with other snack foods too! I get most of my calories each day from snacking, but I space snacking out through the day.

Snacks high in fiber are great because they keep you feeling full longer. Fresh Raspberries are great! Pears, and apples too. Good luck!
  • auntyp147
    auntyp147 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good luck amyk113. I've tried giving up a couple of times and know how hard it is! I lost my appetite though, got crumpier and when I started smoking again, my appetite came back again and I wasn't cranky anymore. Have you tried nicotine patches or nicotine chewing gum? I haven't tried those, preferred to go cold turkey instead, but I have heard the patches and gum have worked for some people. :)
  • Incy_Wincy
    Incy_Wincy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm with you @amyk113 - I'm only just over a month quit, and I've found I've had the munchies A LOT. I'm training myself to eat sensible munchies though - and weighing them since I started on here, too. I haven't got any wonderful advice, just wanted to say well done on quitting, and if you can beat smoking, you can certainly manage to lose a few pounds. Go you!