5:2 advice please

Options
Hi everybody i've been doing Exante (VCL) diet which is 600 calories a day +around 10 calories for drinks. I've lost 10lbs so far in 3 weeks but i have been having weekends off on mantaining.
But now I want to start 5:2 I was thinking about doing 1,200 calories on normal days (MYP recommends) and 600 using VCL products on the 2 days.
I want to be loosing around 3lbs per week.
Has anybody got any experience or done this?
Thanks in advance! x

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Firstly, good to hear you're not doing 600 a day anymore!

With 5:2 I believe the idea is to eat maintenance 5 days and 500 on 2 days. If you're eating 1200 on normal days, you're meant to eat that everyday. Work out your TDEE (http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) and eat that on the other days, and 500 on the 2 days.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I currently eat 600 cals Mon & Thur, and 1500-1800 per day the rest of the week. I did try 1200 cals the other 5 days but struggled due to being hungry pretty much all the time. My weightloss also stalled, and didn't start again until I upped my cals a bit. Bodies are funny things.

As long as you are in a small deficit during the 5 'feasting' days you will lose weight but not become so disheartened you'll be tempted to binge or give up.
  • jodes18
    jodes18 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you what I might try is eating 1,500 on the 5 days and exercising around 200-300 off, because I usually loose around 3lbs per week 1,200 calories and exercise its just I was loosings 4lbs per week on VCDL but I want to be on something more suitable but I don’t want my weight loss to slow down too much and the average on 5:2 is 1lb per week.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    4lbs a week is twice as fast as the maximum recommended loss, you shouldn't continue trying to aim for that. 1lb a week is a good rate.
  • MimGSR
    MimGSR Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    1-2 lb per week is a good rate to lose. One of the problems with losing too fast its that you'll end up losing more lean body mass as well as fat and end up looking less 'toned' at the end.
    It obviously takes longer losing slower, but you'll end up with a better body.