Tired All The TIme

Options
These last 2 or 3 weeks I've been so tired! I eat a keto diet because I have PCOS and it helps with that. Usually I have tons of energy, I'm running around doing stuff I haven't done in years. Lifting weights, walking for 30 minutes, etc. But recently I have not been able to stay awake. I take my husband to work because he doesn't have his license, and I get up at about 6:30 am. When I get home at about 7:10 am I'm fighting not to get back into bed, and if I don't I'm usually starting blankly into space.

I take a prenatal vitamin, I am getting enough iron. I go to bed in time to get 8 hours of sleep. I get plenty of sunlight.

I'm blaming it on weather and allergies at the moment. But maybe someone else has better insight? IDK.

It's not the keto. Keto has given me boundless energy.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    You're taking a prenatal vitamin. Are you pregnant or trying to get pregnant? I honestly don't know anything about the keto diet.
  • kaitlinrt
    kaitlinrt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If it continues you should have your thyroid checked. If you have high blood pressure or a BMI above 30 or are told by your husband that you snore loudly, you may need to talk to your doctor about a sleep study.
  • ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the Keto diet. Does it allow for a little caffeine? Maybe some oolong tea in the morning? It could be the season change too. Also, if you're trying to get pregnant, possible that you are now? I know when I got pregnant, I was exhausted. That's how I knew I was pregnant very early on.
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not trying to get pregnant. I take a prenatal vitamin because it's good for anyone of a child-bearing age to take one. Plus it has a lot of good stuff in it. I'm definitely not pregnant, I'm on the pill and I don't have any other symptoms. And I need doctor aid to get pregnant.

Keto is I only eat 25g of carbs or less a day. I use fat for energy through ketosis.

I drink plenty of caffeine! Lol, but caffeine has never had an effect on me.

I have perfect blood pressure. Doctors are usually surprised because I'm overweight, but I have PCOS which makes it difficult to lose weight. I also do not snore. He snores. But I don't. I believe I had my thyroid checked a few years ago, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask for them to check again. I'm not sure how that works, if it can change.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'd take a pregnancy test. Birth control can fail. I thought I couldn't get pregnant and then I started losing weight. Both times fatigue was one of my first symptoms.
  • cljohnoson52
    Options
    You can also check your vitamin D levels. I was the same - falling asleep whenever I sat still. My vitamin D was a little low - with supplements I feel better. Good Luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Mythril wrote: »
    I also do not snore. He snores.

My husband has sleep apnea but I never realized how much it affected me until he got a CPAP. He finally slept through the night and so did I. I had many of your symptoms but since I am hypothyroid I just blamed it all on that. It is amazing how the person sleeping next to you can affect your sleep without you knowing it.

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Get some sleep! If you've recently started to work out, your body needs more time to repair. If you have time to nap, then do it. You're obviously not getting enough sleep, so please get some more. Stimulating yourself with more coffee or whatever isn't going to fix the root of the problem.

I know for me, when I've had a more active day with exercise, I'm dead asleep on the couch by 10 pm. My body just needs the time to repair my muscles, and sort through my "stuff" from the day.

PS - if getting more sleep isn't helping, then please see your doctor for above reasons (thyroid, apnea, etc).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on the diet?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Oh, and allergies make me super tired... but I feel better when I get more sleep. So I'm back to that one. :)
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When is the last time that you had your blood drawn and your vitamin levels actually checked? I ask because you mention that you are taking a prenatal, so you say that it can't be low iron. That isn't necessarily true, it is possible to take an iron supplement (or multi vitamin) and still be low on your iron level (you could have an inability to absorb iron, birth control method could hinder iron absorption, diet, etc). You also might be low on B12 or Vitamin D. But the only way to know would be to have your doctor run some labs on you.

You also mentioned that you have allergies. Do you take allergy medicine for that? I know some people who have allergy flair ups this time of year and experience feeling overly tired.
  • Mythril
    Options
    I do sleep a lot! Lol. I sleep 7-8 hours a night and then 1 or 2 more in the morning, and sometimes another hour in the afternoon!

I am definitely positive I am not pregnant. I will wait until a missed period before I take a pregnancy test. If I miss it, I will.

I was on Keto for 6 months last year, and have been back on Keto since the first of this year.
  • Mythril
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I haven't had my blood drawn in a few years. I don't have very good insurance, and I don't do regular check ups. I haven't been since I had my gall bladder out in 2011. I've only been to the gynecologist for my yearly check ups. The prenatal doesn't have iron, I don't think. I'm getting a lot of iron from my diet.

I am not taking anything for my allergies. I only have a runny nose. *and the occasional sneezing fit.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Zombella wrote: »
    I'd take a pregnancy test. Birth control can fail. I thought I couldn't get pregnant and then I started losing weight. Both times fatigue was one of my first symptoms.

First symptom for me, too. It took a while for other symptoms to set in but I went from high energy to weak and blah in no time.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my blood drawn in a few years. I don't have very good insurance, and I don't do regular check ups. I haven't been since I had my gall bladder out in 2011. I've only been to the gynecologist for my yearly check ups. The prenatal doesn't have iron, I don't think. I'm getting a lot of iron from my diet.

I am not taking anything for my allergies. I only have a runny nose. *and the occasional sneezing fit.

Most insurance either requires a yearly physical and/or offers preventive services for free, before deductible. If you're only going to the ob/gyn for your yearlies, make sure they are doing full bloodwork that your regular doctor would normally do, as well. Either that or go to your regular doc to get full bloodwork. A lot of problems can be prevented early on and, in most cases, it's free of charge with insurance.
  • Mythril
    Options
    I just am not pregnant. Sorry, it doesn't happen to me. I have thought in the past that something looked like I was potentially pregnant, and I wasn't. I want to have a baby so bad I drive myself nuts sometimes. I just can not believe that I am pregnant. I do not believe that I CAN be pregnant.
  • missimplicity
    missimplicity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do sleep a lot! Lol. I sleep 7-8 hours a night and then 1 or 2 more in the morning, and sometimes another hour in the afternoon!

I am definitely positive I am not pregnant. I will wait until a missed period before I take a pregnancy test. If I miss it, I will.

I was on Keto for 6 months last year, and have been back on Keto since the first of this year.

Yeah I "had" PCOS too and my doc told me that I'd need help getting pregnant too. My OMG surprise baby will be 7 this year. It can't hurt to just take a test to rule it out.

• missimplicity
    missimplicity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just am not pregnant. Sorry, it doesn't happen to me. I have thought in the past that something looked like I was potentially pregnant, and I wasn't. I want to have a baby so bad I drive myself nuts sometimes. I just can not believe that I am pregnant. I do not believe that I CAN be pregnant.

I should add that I have absolutely NO problem getting pregnant now. I also have a three year old, angel babies, and am currently missing a period. Anything can happen.
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Totally off topic here, but I have a friend who had PCOS... and she dropped about 30 lbs and got pregnant on accident! Sooo anything is possible! She was also on the pill.

She's on baby number two now. It's amazing what a healthy lifestyle can do. :)
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water - being dehydrated can make you feel tired.