Not losing with insanity.

Options
Hi, I'm on day 10 of the insanity workout and I'm so only lost 1lb. My husband is doing it with me and he has lost a lot of weight already and you can see the change. Starting to feel very disheartened as I put a lot of effort into my workouts. My calorie goal is set to 1200 but most days I do eat back most of my calories as I'm hungry. I weigh, measure or scan through the app all I eat so I'm not sure if my logging is off. I've lost a lot of weight before, I know I can do it but I just dieted..I didn't exercise. Kinda confused. Any tips? Is my calories set too low? Should I stop eating back my calories? Thanks

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    You're retaining water from exercise and totally normal. Sometimes takes up to 3 weeks for it to settle. Continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • drinkxyouxpretty
    drinkxyouxpretty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also if you don't usually exercise you're probably replacing fat with muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Possibly, but at that low of an intake, more than likely not. Muscle can be broken down, but still need a surplus to build it (can't build something out of nothing). Repair of muscle requires water and continuous exercise will force the body to store glycogen in anticipation it's going to use more energy. This alone can increase the weight of someone with a new exercise regimen from a couple of pounds up to 10lbs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • shaunsykes35
    Options
    The first time I did insanity I lost 7 lbs in the first month and then a further 21lbs in the second month. Quite common for the larger gains (losses) to come in month two.
    I am currently on the last day of month 2 of the insanity:max 30 program and have only lost 3 lbs so fat but I appear thinner. Probably muscle gained is offsetting the fat lost.
  • weeplin
    weeplin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm sure I did read about that somewhere. If my body is retaining water because of exercise, will drinking more water help? I'm trying to drink around 1200mls a day.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    weeplin wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm sure I did read about that somewhere. If my body is retaining water because of exercise, will drinking more water help? I'm trying to drink around 1200mls a day.
    Maybe, maybe not. The body works on chemical reactions from within, so even just a higher stress day at work may cause water retention.
    If your clothing is getting looser, then you're on the right track. Scale weight fluctuates continually. So the reality is if you fit the clothes you like to wear, like the way you look and people are complimenting on how you look, does scale weight REALLY matter that much?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• weeplin
    Options
    No it doesn't matter I suppose but I am yet to fit into the size I want so I'm not happy. I've had 5 children and I'm trying to get back into my uk size 10 jeans (I'm a large 12 at the moment). I used to weigh around 125-130lbs but I weigh 151lbs now
  • Sapphire_Elf
    Sapphire_Elf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't matter I suppose but I am yet to fit into the size I want so I'm not happy. I've had 5 children and I'm trying to get back into my uk size 10 jeans (I'm a large 12 at the moment). I used to weigh around 125-130lbs but I weigh 151lbs now

Sounds like me :) My OH and are doing Insanity and we are half way through Week 3. Like you I have seen minimal losses on the scales but I generally feel slimmer. I weigh about 149lbs so not far off your stats.

I wonder if your calories are a bit too low? I did the Insanity calculations which gave me about 1800-odd, and have set mine at 1600 which should still give me a deficit, but gives me enough energy to get through the workouts - and I am hungry all the time as well! I also cycle 6 miles a day and I am eating those calories back -10%.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you logging for insanity that you're eating back? If I were doing Insanity I would log 250-300 cals per workout.
  • weeplin
    Options
    That's exactly what I'm logging and Insanity set me 2000 calories. Only done this for a few days though so no change yet. I was previously only eating 1200 which I think must of been too low
  • tonihunter945
    tonihunter945 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm on day 10 of the insanity workout and I'm so only lost 1lb. My husband is doing it with me and he has lost a lot of weight already and you can see the change. Starting to feel very disheartened as I put a lot of effort into my workouts. My calorie goal is set to 1200 but most days I do eat back most of my calories as I'm hungry. I weigh, measure or scan through the app all I eat so I'm not sure if my logging is off. I've lost a lot of weight before, I know I can do it but I just dieted..I didn't exercise. Kinda confused. Any tips? Is my calories set too low? Should I stop eating back my calories? Thanks

• tonihunter945
    Options
    I hate that men lose more weight then women. But are metabolism is different. I enjoy tae Bo videos and I lose weight fast. But when I had knee surgery I gained weight. I was in pain and depressed. When I'm depressed I eat. But if you enjoy a certain workout video, you would will put in 100% and get out 100% thus lose more weight
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain the weight in 10 days and you won't lose it in 10 days. Patience.
  • tonihunter945
    Options

• tonihunter945
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat
  • kraigiark
    kraigiark Posts: 27 Member
    Options

speaking from my experience with insanity, I also had my cals set to 1200 (which i know is low for a male) and I never ate back my calories. I lost nearly 20lbs during those 8 weeks. I didn't see results the whole first month, no weight off, no change in the mirror, it SUCKED. Then all of the sudden as I started month 2 the weight just flew off, eating became easier, and the image in the mirror was changing.

My advice is stick it out!! You should also get a HR monitor (if you don't have one) so you can see exactly how hard your working.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

three words : running and water