How do I know if it's time for new running shoes?

Options
PeachyPlum
PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
So, I'm getting back into running by doing Couch to 5k again. My heart and lungs are super stoked and all "oh yeah we remember how to do this, let's go!"

My legs and feet are all "are you kidding me with this *kitten*?"

I didn't have this problem the last time around... Two years ago. I was fitted at Fleet Feet and came home with shoes I loved, never had an ache or pain at all.

Now my shins start hurting while I'm doing my warm-up walk, and don't stop till the workout is over (no lasting pain so far). The bottoms of the balls of my feet are hurting, they feel almost bruised.

I'm pretty sure these shoes don't have the recommended 300 - 450 miles on them, although I lost my mileage log when my smartphone gave up the ghost.

I really don't want new shoes, as it's not in the budget, plus I adored these shoes when I first got them and Asics discontinued this series, so I'll have to switch to something else.

Thoughts? Could my form have deteriorated badly, causing the pain? Is there a clue based on visual inspection that should tell me the shoes have run far enough?

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    2 years it is probably time for new shoes. Do they have a wear pattern on the bottom? less shock absorption? I usually switch my worn out running shoes to casual and walking shoes and keep a good pair for running.
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, you probably need new shoes.
    Your feet will thank you!!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how many miles you put on them per week (on average) and if you've ran consistently for the last two years. But unfortunately, it probably is time for a new pair of shoes if you're having so much discomfort with the ones you have. You could give it a couple more runs maybe to see if it's just your body getting back into the swing of things, but if your feet/shins don't improve in 1-2 runs, I'd recommend shopping around. (Personally though, I'd put the shoes on the retirement shelf ASAP with so many problems from the get go!)

How long ago did Asics discontinue your shoe? You may still be able to find new ones on clearance on places like running warehouse.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a different surface than you did before? Starting out faster?

Could just be the shoes - I go by how worn my tread is, and how the legs and feet feel more than by mileage, which can be different from shoe to shoe in my experience.

I would also recommend looking for the discontinued shoe online - you can often find them on Amazon or other sites, and for pretty good bargains.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You sound like you need new shoes! Make it work in your budget, it's worth it!
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    Thanks everyone, sounds like I know what I'm doing on my day off!
    I'm looking closer at my shoes, and although I still have some "tread" left I notice now that the structural integrity of the sole appears to be compromised - the midsole is flexing quite a bit, allowing the inner and outer sides of the outsole to move independently of one another, especially in the area where my metatarsals are bothering me.
    Never really thought about it, but I do run on possibly the worst surface ever for shoe wear - extremely coarse asphalt (the kind that gives you wicked road rash when your running partner smells a rabbit and trips you with his leash).
    Couldn't hurt to head to Fleet Feet and pick out my next pair of shoes to rotate in. If I don't experience the pain with the new ones, I'll know it's time to retire the old guys.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You know when there is no sole between your feet and the ground :)
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I blew out the sides of my shoes.... That's how I knew.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I was told that if you press on the ball of the runner and it feels somewhat spongy then it is time for new shoes. Also they recommend new shoes every six months or 400 - 500 miles. Treat yourself to new shoes...your feet will thank you for it and you will enjoy your run so much more.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    psmd wrote: »
    You sound like you need new shoes! Vibrams are the best possible running shoe. Make it work in your budget, it's worth it!

Some people like Vibrams but I would caution some people against their lack of padding. It may take some acclimation and some people never adjust.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Three years after my shoes took the worst (climbing hills, hundreds of runs, trekking through waters and muddy lands, etc etc), it only took one puppy to destroy them. Or just the right foot!. So yes, that's how I knew.

And I think it's time for you to purchase new ones! :P
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Two years ago.

Now my shins start hurting while I'm doing my warm-up walk, and don't stop till the workout is over (no lasting pain so far). The bottoms of the balls of my feet are hurting, they feel almost bruised.

Time for new shoes

No-brainer really

• Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I replace shoes at the first sign of unusual discomfort while running or when I see the midsole start getting wrinkly.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    if you love the shoes but they've been discontinued, check eBay. Chances are you'll find them, new condition and quite probably cheaper than they were new in the store. I get fitted once a year(ish) and then buy new pairs on eBay as needed for roughly 2/3 the price in stores.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I get fitted once a year(ish) and then buy new pairs on eBay as needed for roughly 2/3 the price in stores.

I'd personally encourage someone making use of the fitting service then actually use the place that's provided the service. Unless of course the shop charge for the fitting service as a separate item, then offset against purchase.

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So, I'm getting back into running by doing Couch to 5k again. My heart and lungs are super stoked and all "oh yeah we remember how to do this, let's go!"

I didn't have this problem the last time around... Two years ago. I was fitted at Fleet Feet and came home with shoes I loved, never had an ache or pain at all.

I'm pretty sure these shoes don't have the recommended 300 - 450 miles on them, although I lost my mileage log when my smartphone gave up the ghost.

I really don't want new shoes, as it's not in the budget, plus I adored these shoes when I first got them and Asics discontinued this series, so I'll have to switch to something else.

Thoughts? Could my form have deteriorated badly, causing the pain? Is there a clue based on visual inspection that should tell me the shoes have run far enough?

Try the 5 fingers, I heard good stuff about them :P
  • Katerina9408
    Options

are u doing a good warm up and cool down ? I wasn't in the beggining and I f***ed up my knee...
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I get fitted once a year(ish) and then buy new pairs on eBay as needed for roughly 2/3 the price in stores.

I'd personally encourage someone making use of the fitting service then actually use the place that's provided the service. Unless of course the shop charge for the fitting service as a separate item, then offset against purchase.

Well, my original plan with the existing shoes was to purchase that pair at the running store, then purchase future identical pairs from the web.

It's a moot point though. The shoe has been discontinued so long and I'm such an unusual size that I haven't been able to find a replacement at any online source.

It's been three years since the original fitting, so I could probably do with being re-fitted anyway.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Well, my original plan with the existing shoes was to purchase that pair at the running store, then purchase future identical pairs from the web.

That's my approach. Pretty parasitic to do otherwise IMHO.

• Katerina9408
    Options
    A couple of other suggestion which I get from runners when my knee was hurting : 1 ) visit orthopedist 2) eat more avocado 3) rest until it stops hurting 4) the earlier u do something about it the less u have to rest 5) elastic bandage and Perskindol befor running 6) Deep Relief 7) it could be a pinched nerve in your back or your running technic might be wrong 8) you could be flat-footed 9)orthopedic insoles, don't run down hill do- running on sand, interval running,running up hill, exercise on place for legs and back-jumping squats,burpees,lunges