Conversation with a Registered Dietician

Options
vaston
vaston Posts: 38 Member
After reading all of the debates on these forums about caloric intake, I sat down with a close friend of mine and asked her about it. She holds a degree in Diet and Nutrition and has been a nationally certified RD for many years. She has spent most of those years working as a Nutritionist at the largest hospital in a city of nearly 6 million people. So her qualifications are legit.

I asked her about net calories vs exercise calories vs total calories. She told me that during weight loss it is ESSENTIAL that you don't drop below 1200 NET kcal per day. Regardless of how much exercise you do, your body requires a minimum 1200 kcal to function properly. If you are consistently below 1200 kcal/day NET over a long period of time you force your body to alter the way it metabolizes its fuel. You will be losing weight like crazy but your body will not be doing it correctly. It will drop into survival mode. What should normally be burned for energy will be stored, and muscle will be burned for energy. She said that if you drop below 1200 kcal/day NET once or twice in a few week period then you should be fine, but if you are averaging below that then you will be in trouble. She also said that people will argue with her about it because they are losing weight, and losing it fast. What is the primary side effect of this? REBOUND weight gain. When they experience the rebound weight gain they come to her and ask for help. That's why fad/shock/HCG/cleanse diets don't work long term. They don't teach the body how to properly maintain it's metabolism. Because you sent your body into starvation mode, even if you eat your BMR, your body will respond by gaining the weight right back because it thinks it needs to survive. Many of us have experienced this.

We also talked about doctors/providers and their nutrition training. Most don't really know much about proper weight loss and dieting. How do I know this? I work in medicine ;) Hence the reason I asked her about it. Most med schools teach 1-2 semesters of nutrition, and that's it. And trust me, nutrition is about as low on the priorities list as you can get when it comes to medical training. Have you seen all of the overweight cardiologists out there? So continue to consult with your doc about your weight loss, but if you have real questions you may have to go to a more intense source for information.

I know that this will not end the debate. But hey, I went to an educated source that has practiced for years. I think I will follow her advice. Good luck in your weight loss journey, I'm down 10 lbs in 6 weeks! Sweet!

Replies

• tdjones00
    tdjones00 Posts: 68
    Options
    Nice to hear the professional side of view.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    thanks for a great post!
  • perlah
    perlah Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you for the information, I was wondering what all the NET Cal was about.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info....
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Awesome information! I did my minor in nutrition and I have the SAME conversation with people I train with. My 'simplified' response has become, "I lost 90 lbs and NEVER went below 1400 calories a day." And a lot of time they still don't get it!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Eating muscle to survive = not gooood! I tend to think of a skinny, wet noodle. lol.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Eating muscle to survive = not gooood! I tend to think of a skinny, wet noodle. lol.

LMAO! I have to find a pic of a skinny wet noodle for my profile!
  • shefly
    shefly Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yea we know... there are multiple "debates" daily but thanks for posting a professional opinion to add fuel to the fire. No really, thanks, its good fuel! :)
  • SoSheDid_
    SoSheDid_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, it's very good to hear this from a professional. Thanks!
  • ImBabyBunny
    ImBabyBunny Posts: 75
    Options
    Wow. O-0 Thanks! Very eye opening... hmmm
  • AngieAllTheWay
    AngieAllTheWay Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great information!

So to further clarify this with MFP, when MFP increased your daily goal when you exercise, is that to meet this requirement to consume a net of 1200 (if your cals were set at 1200)?
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Vaston, it's very interesting to hear a professional opinion. Thank you for the post. If you don't mind, could you ask your friend if she can recommend a good scientific review or paper where I can read up on this? I have access to most scientific journals through my work, so it doesn't have to be open access.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    excellent post, thank you
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Thank you for the info....
  • gratenni1
    gratenni1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is a great report - thank you. I hope that it works. I just want the truth and i will follow but everytime i get some new info that sounds logical i try to test it so far nothing has worked. I have untill the new year 2012 to lose 15-20 pounds. Its good to know that i don't have to rush it.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Just having a bit of a browse on Web of Science, I found this interesting abstract [from Bryner et al. (1999) Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combined with an 800 calorie liquid diet on lean body mass and resting metabolic rate. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 18(2):115-121].

"Utilization of very-low-calorie diets (VLCD) for weight loss results in loss of lean body weight (LBW) and a decrease in resting metabolic rate (RMR). The addition of aerobic exercise does not prevent this. The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of intensive, high volume resistance training combined with a VLCD on these parameters... Conclusion: The addition of an intensive, high volume resistance training program resulted in preservation of LBW and RMR during weight loss with a VLCD."

So according to their study, you do go into what these boards call "starvation mode" if your calorie intake gets too low, but this can be prevented by intensive strength training. BUT looking further, I then came across another, more recent study that found that although exercise can prevent skeletal muscle mass with a very low calorie diet, it doesn't prevent loss of muscle mass from the HEART, which could have alarming health implications.

I guess this is why dieticians recommend a more cautious calorie minimum.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Just having a bit of a browse on Web of Science, I found this interesting abstract [from Bryner et al. (1999) Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combined with an 800 calorie liquid diet on lean body mass and resting metabolic rate. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 18(2):115-121].

"Utilization of very-low-calorie diets (VLCD) for weight loss results in loss of lean body weight (LBW) and a decrease in resting metabolic rate (RMR). The addition of aerobic exercise does not prevent this. The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of intensive, high volume resistance training combined with a VLCD on these parameters... Conclusion: The addition of an intensive, high volume resistance training program resulted in preservation of LBW and RMR during weight loss with a VLCD."

So according to their study, you do go into what these boards call "starvation mode" if your calorie intake gets too low, but this can be prevented by intensive strength training. BUT looking further, I then came across another, more recent study that found that although exercise can prevent skeletal muscle mass with a very low calorie diet, it doesn't prevent loss of muscle mass from the HEART, which could have alarming health implications.

I guess this is why dieticians recommend a more cautious calorie minimum.
    Very interesting as well. :)
  • vaston
    vaston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Vaston, it's very interesting to hear a professional opinion. Thank you for the post. If you don't mind, could you ask your friend if she can recommend a good scientific review or paper where I can read up on this? I have access to most scientific journals through my work, so it doesn't have to be open access.

I will be happy to ask. It may be a few days before I see her again. I will let you know what she says. Most of this is built off of a career in nutrition, but I'm sure she would have access to some recent studies.