Scared of the dreaded scales!

Options

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    jodiealgar wrote: »
    I haven't weighed myself in around 2/3 years. I have gained a lot of weight and I am absolutely terrified of stepping on them, to the point where I have slight anxiety even thinking about it. I have refused numerous times at the doctors and hospital. I know it needs to be done but I can't bring myself to it. Any advice?
    "...I have gained a lot of weight and I am absolutely terrified of stepping on them....Any advice?"

lose weight and grow a pair in no particular order?

If only it was that easy?

Because denial and avoidance make *everything* better, right?

I'm not in denial, I know that it needs to be done. I know it's just a number but it's a big deal for someone who's overweight.

"Absolutely terrified" and "slight anxiety" do not compute. And your behavior suggests absolutely terrified. Everyone on this board is overweight, but not everyone hides from the scale. I think you're in denial about your denial.

Maybe because not everyone is the same? The reason I'm terrified is because I suffered with bulimia and have only really started recovering from it, I'm anxious that it will trigger it off again. I didn't want to discuss it but seeing as I'm being accused of being in denial...

A past eating disorder is a different than just not wanting to weigh yourself. Speak to your doctor about it. Find out if the doctor even thinks you need to lose weight.
  • jodiealgar
    jodiealgar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I found knowing the number motivating. It gave me a number to aim for. It keeps me motivated on a daily basis. The losses inspire me to keep loosing and the gains and maintains make me work harder for a loss at next weigh in. Just do it. It might give you the push you need to really focus. I cried when I first stepped on, and I never want to feel like that again, so I took control.

Thank you, I'll keep this in mind!
  • jodiealgar
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself in around 2/3 years. I have gained a lot of weight and I am absolutely terrified of stepping on them, to the point where I have slight anxiety even thinking about it. I have refused numerous times at the doctors and hospital. I know it needs to be done but I can't bring myself to it. Any advice?
    "...I have gained a lot of weight and I am absolutely terrified of stepping on them....Any advice?"

I'm not in denial, I know that it needs to be done. I know it's just a number but it's a big deal for someone who's overweight.

"Absolutely terrified" and "slight anxiety" do not compute. And your behavior suggests absolutely terrified. Everyone on this board is overweight, but not everyone hides from the scale. I think you're in denial about your denial.

Maybe because not everyone is the same? The reason I'm terrified is because I suffered with bulimia and have only really started recovering from it, I'm anxious that it will trigger it off again. I didn't want to discuss it but seeing as I'm being accused of being in denial...

A past eating disorder is a different than just not wanting to weigh yourself. Speak to your doctor about it. Find out if the doctor even thinks you need to lose weight.

My doctor advised me to lose weight because I have other health conditions. I'm not using my past eating disorder as an excuse but I never want to go back down that road again, it all started with that number on the scale.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

This would of been good to know from the beginning.......
    See your doctor who helped you with bulimia.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Get on it, and get over it. You can't actually work towards making things better until you deal with the actuality of how it is. I can empathize, I've been there. Take a big breath, get on it, and make a plan to move forward.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Ever thought about measuring yourself instead? Or changing lbs to Kg? I was nervous about weighing myself after a long time and I was used to stones and lbs so by changing the scales to just lbs I didn't really have the anxiety because I didn't know how much heavier I was than the last time I weighed myself. If that makes ANY sense. lbs on its own was just a number on the screen that I knew had to get lower.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    A scale is just a tool, a measuring stick. There is no more reason to be intimidated by a scale than by a hammer, screwdriver, or any other tool.
  • jodiealgar
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Ever thought about measuring yourself instead? Or changing lbs to Kg? I was nervous about weighing myself after a long time and I was used to stones and lbs so by changing the scales to just lbs I didn't really have the anxiety because I didn't know how much heavier I was than the last time I weighed myself. If that makes ANY sense. lbs on its own was just a number on the screen that I knew had to get lower.

This is a really good idea, thanks! I think changing the scale to kg will help as I'll be too nervous to convert it yet id still have a number to work with.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Just take a deep breath and do it. The scale is only a reflection of reality. That reality is true whether you step on the scale or not, so, you're better off just facing the truth. Feel all the feels you need to, then make a plan to fix it. You're here to do just that, I assume?
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I second measuring yourself and changing lbs to kg. Anything that allows you to track progress is good.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

This is a really good idea, thanks! I think changing the scale to kg will help as I'll be too nervous to convert it yet id still have a number to work with.

Exactly, you can convert it in your own time, when you feel comfortable. But for now, atleast you can put your digits into the calculator and get crackin with the weight loss! :wink:
  • Afisk05
    Afisk05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem for about 12 years. I am thinking about filling a bucket with rocks and then weighing myself with it every time I get on the scale. And I don't ever want to know how much the bucket of rocks weighs.
  • jodiealgar
    Options

Exactly, you can convert it in your own time, when you feel comfortable. But for now, atleast you can put your digits into the calculator and get crackin with the weight loss! :wink:

Thank you honestly, I'll definitely try this! Now to find a scale that converts to kg haha.
  • jodiealgar
    Options
    Afisk05 wrote: »
    I have had the same problem for about 12 years. I am thinking about filling a bucket with rocks and then weighing myself with it every time I get on the scale. And I don't ever want to know how much the bucket of rocks weighs.

Maybe try the kg method that I've just been told about? :)
  • Lois_1989
    Options

Exactly, you can convert it in your own time, when you feel comfortable. But for now, at least you can put your digits into the calculator and get crackin with the weight loss! :wink:

Thank you honestly, I'll definitely try this! Now to find a scale that converts to kg haha.

Isn't there normally a switch on the scales? The stupid type where you need a pokey thing that is thinner than a pen. I would look on the underneath and sides for a switch before spending money on new scales. Glad to be some help! :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yeah, this is a great idea.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Well know this...regardless of what the scale or measuring tape says we are healthier if we track our food and excercise on a regular basis.
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It is actually difficult to lose weight without stepping on scales. The simple reason is that being on track with your eating and exercise produces such minuscule results week-to-week that you won't notice the difference by looking at a mirror. You will throw in the towel swearing "it's not working!" in a week or two even though you actually lost 2 pounds of fat and were completely on track.

So summon the courage, buy a scale if you don't own one, and step on in private. It'll be very crushing but it'll be the first step to becoming the person you want to be, free of the constraints, physical and social, of being overweight.
  • Afisk05
    Afisk05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Afisk05 wrote: »

Maybe try the kg method that I've just been told about? :)

The math is way too easy.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can't change what you don't know. I you want to lose weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle, having a more normal relationship with the scale and food is important. Good luck!