Calorie increase after reaching my goal

Options
not sure what to do. I reached my goal on 1100 calories a day. I must admit I don't always reach my caloric goal for the day. I want to maintain but I think increasing like they want me to I will gain. The calorie increase was up to 1550. I don't want to gain but I think I should increase to a manageable amount of calories without gaining. Any suggestions

Replies

• scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Increase slowly. 1100 is really, really low to start with.
  • maryo2093
    maryo2093 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know 1100 is low but nothing was happening at the recommended 1200 a day. I do think 1550 is way way high for maintance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What speed of weight loss did you have in your last 4 weeks?

What makes you think 1550 is low? Are you really, really tiny and inactive?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Logic is your friend.

You were losing on 1100/day, yes? You no longer want to lose so you need to eat more than 1100. (Because eating 1100/day will make you continue to lose.) So increase. If you are afraid to go to 1550, try a midpoint for 4-6 weeks. 1300-1350.
  • jadezia
    jadezia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I read a post a week or two ago where the person's trainer suggested adding in something simple, like an extra glass of milk after a workout or at the end of the day. That adds about 150 calories to your diet. Its something simple you don't have to plan for (my calorie goal is about 1200, and I too sometimes don't really come near it and MFP yells at me, so I've been trying to add little things like snacks during the evening when I'm home).

But try adding an extra 150 calories or so a day for a week or two, and monitor your weight. If you continue to lose, then you know can try adding two glasses of milk, or maybe drinking a glass of chocolate milk instead, etc. Just keep adding a consistent amount of calories every day for a week or so, and monitor your weight. Once it stalls, then you know you've reached your maintenance calorie intake.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Walk up your calories until you find the balance you're looking for.