Macros menu

Options
Hello Everyone!
My personal trainer suggested I follow an 1800 calorie diet with 40% protein, 25% carb, 35% fat. I've never had a diet so complicated before. I can watch calories, I can watch carbs but trying to do all three is confusing my mind. Is anyone else following these types of numbers or have suggestions on what to eat. I appreciate it!

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    its not that difficult.. 40% of your calories should come from protein, 25% from carbs and 35% from fat. either log before hand or throughout the day to see where you are lacking.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It takes time to figure things out but you can do it, it just takes a little trial and error.

You can manually set your goals: home- goals- set goals- select to manually set goals - adjust the numbers. This will have your diary set to all the right numbers for you.

I would just start logging and stick to your calorie goal, after a couple days look at your diary and see how you are hitting your macros. Adjust from there. If you are high on carbs and low on protein then shift some of your food choices to higher protein options. Continue to adjust. You will get there. In time you will hit the point where balancing your macros almost becomes second nature.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I used to look at www.eatthismuch.com for ideas. you can customize meals and macros (or at least you could before they required a free account sign-up).
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    It is extremely difficult to be on target or hit all the macros and stay within the calories.

I focus on Calories. Carbs and Protein.
    I 1st always try to hit my protein for the day, then Calories and Carbs. I rarely bother with fats.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty similar in my meal plan. It's a lot of damn eating, isn't it? I find it easier to hit my macros if I spend a bit of time each day pre-logging/figuring out my menu for the day, that way I don't end up in a bind at the end of the day wondering how I'm going to get in 100g of protein, 20g of carbs, and no fat because of the choices I've made throughout the day, LOL!

Someone suggested something to me that has been the best tip ever. Focus first on protein. It's where most of your calories are coming from, and lets face it, it's hard to get in so much protein. At least it is for me- I'm overweight because I eat high carbs and fats by default, so restructuring has been a bit of a puzzle.

So build your meals around your protein. If you need, say, 30g of protein at each meal, figure out where that's coming from, and add in your carbs and remaining fat to round out the meal. And of course, it's ok to go over on one macro at one meal, then make up for it in another. I find that I usually end up with a couple meals that have higher fat, then a couple with lower fat, and by the end of the day, it all evens out.

Make sure you weigh and log everything. I've found the bar code scanner on the MFP mobile app makes food entry a breeze.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Oh, and in case you aren't aware- protein and carbs both have 4 calories per gram, fat has 9. That can help when you're trying to figure it out on the fly in your head. :)
  • lizde217
    lizde217 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am following a similar plan. I adjusted my macros accordingly in MFP and I do my best to hit those goals daily. Once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad. Just a LOT of protein!! You could do it! I googled IIFYM for more info and tips for when I get stuck. You got this!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Macros are malleable. Activity level is the driver. I currently average 45/25/30 (carbs/fat/protein) against a goal of 40/25/35. . . I may start upping the carbs.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm at 45/30/25 (carbs, fat, protein) and use http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to help set my goals. MFP will calculate it for you, so I find that preplanning your meals in the morning or the day before helps. I plan the whole day and see where I'm short or over and adjust before I eat the food.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Use this app and set it up on options ...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is that diet supposed to do for you, and why didn't your trainer providing you with a meal plan to accomplish those goals (which I feel, yes, are extreme and unnecessary)?
  • kutedaisy
    kutedaisy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I joined gym in Feb but haven't had any progress, so this is what he recommended.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on the same macro split in January for the first 17.5 of the 30 lbs I had to lose. I'm Italian and my diet was really heavy on carbs, so he had me change the focus to get 80~100 of protein a day, good fats and the balance carbs. I found by focusing on the complex, low GI veggies I still had room for a serving of pasta, rice or potatoes in addition to 1 bread a day. At the 17.5 mark he moved me to 30 carbs/ 35 fats/ 35 protein which is where he thinks I should stay into the future but I'll cross that bridge when I get there :)

It took a little planning the first couple of weeks but it fell into place. I start the day with eggbeaters (to save on my fats) or a mix of eggbeaters and one egg .... Poultry and fish and pork loin for the main protein and have a tuna lettuce wrap for a snack if I haven't hit my protein mark for the day. Good luck! I'm 5' and have lost 21 lbs since the first week in January so it did work for me.