Getting enough calories

Options
Can someone explain the "eat more calories, and lose more weight"?

According to MFP, I am not eating enough calories most days. I don't disagree, but I'm not hungry either, and I had been focusing on WHAT goes into my body, more so than "how much". Am I stalling my weightloss, but not eating enough?

(Please just a simple explanation, not a judgement - I'm trying to find what works for me!)

Replies

• melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories, you do not fuel your machine (body), malnourished bodies don't tend to succeed at doing very much. The better you eat, the better you feel the more you do. It's not really about "more", but rather "better", and when you eat "better" calories (ie: real food, low in sugar) you can still lose weight while eating more calories.

You will always lose weight on a deficit alone, you will lose FAT when you eat correctly.

EX: when I ate poorly (prepared foods, restaurants, bread, grains etc) I would lose on 1200-1300 calories- which is at a deficit, now that I have made huge improvements in my eating habits (over years) I can eat 1800 calories and still lose fat at the same rate. More food is better.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not stalling weight loss - but if you're eating too low, you may not be getting the nutrients your body needs. What is your goal, and what are you averaging for intake?

If you need to increase calories in: where you've changed to fat free options, use 2% or full fat. Cook with olive oil. Eat nuts or peanut butter. Have avocado on your sandwich/salad. Eat some fruit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I could not achieve 1200 a day I started to get a little wobbly. The body will power what it needs and if that is from muscle, the muscle will be sacrificed. You could be sacrificing your hair and your nails too. It took a while for my nails to stop chipping for instance.

Eat to your minimum at least.
  • DrinkwineMichael
    DrinkwineMichael Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Glinda,

Your body is an AMAZING and automated machine. The problem with many "diets" is that prolonged caloric deficit can cause your body to go into "conservation mode" in order to maximize the use of available resources. Basically, your metabolism slows, your energy levels go down, fat storage becomes a priority, etc. as your body doesn't know that you are doing this on purpose and it is trying to keep you alive with what you are giving it. The trick, then, is to create a caloric deficit while keeping your body from going into "conservation mode." This is why occasionally upping the calories while keeping them low the rest of the time can keep you in the weight loss sweet spot (pun intended.)

There are a lot of resources out there on this subject. One approach (that I used personally) is called the Slow-Carb Diet. As with any diet there are pros and cons. Do your research and pick one that fits your needs. Just remember...your body is a machine programmed to keep you alive, work with it and not against it and your results will be nothing short of fantastic!
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the insight!

I certainly did a drastic (needed) change in diet, but my average day looks something like this (It's pretty routine during the work week):

Breakfast: 2 eggs
    Snack: Apple or Orange
    Lunch: Grilled Chicken (3-4 oz) on a garden salad
    Snack: Greek yogurt
    Dinner: Either fish, or Chicken, with steamed veggies

I run aprx 30 minutes, ever other day (Couch to 5K training).

Weekends vary a little but are basically the same types of food - I usually have a bigger lunch because I have access to more veggies and the bbq or oven etc. but really it's more of the same.

I feel full, so I don't eat more. This has curbed previous bad habits of reaching for a bowl of cereal, muffins, cookies etc.

What can I do to increase the calories, while staying within this style of eating? I'm thinking of adding in Oatmeal for breakfast, and almonds during the day - something like that? I'm really enjoying my healthy lifestyle...
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    I'm looking back at my diary, and the only time I came close to my measly 1200 calories, was when I included rice.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Sounds healthy to me, and like a yummy diet. :) Maybe cook the eggs in some (real) butter, or some oil? Throw a handful of nuts or avocado on your salad. Have some red meat once in a while, it tends to be higher in calories than chicken. have a serving of a nut butter with your apple. :)
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to add in calories but still maintain the same type of meals...try adding in some nuts with your fruit in the am or add in nuts/seeds to your salad or cheese. You could always add full-fat salad dressing as well. Afternoon snack...try mixing in granola or something like that to add calories. Dinner...looks tasty to me but maybe add some olive oil and grill the veggies or roast them with olive oil for something different and a few extra calories.
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    you should think about adding more fat! Add avocado, nuts/seeds, full fat Greek yogurt. Also you should work on increasing your intake overall, your diet makes me hungry just looking at it.

My days are something like this... along with clear tea, black coffee and loads of water.

Breakfast
    2-3 eggs scrambled with vegetables topped with cheese and avocado OR Protein waffles with nut butter and maple and sausage.

Lunch
    6oz chicken/beef/pork/fish, with several cups of mixed greens/vegetables
    1 serving of fruit
    1-2 oz nuts and seeds
    1-2oz cheese

Dinner is some combination of 6-8oz meat and vegetables prepared with coconut oil or butter

And when needed i will have a scoop of whey protein powder mixed with water
  • waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the insight!

I certainly did a drastic (needed) change in diet, but my average day looks something like this (It's pretty routine during the work week):

I run aprx 30 minutes, ever other day (Couch to 5K training).

Weekends vary a little but are basically the same types of food - I usually have a bigger lunch because I have access to more veggies and the bbq or oven etc. but really it's more of the same.

I feel full, so I don't eat more. This has curbed previous bad habits of reaching for a bowl of cereal, muffins, cookies etc.

What can I do to increase the calories, while staying within this style of eating? I'm thinking of adding in Oatmeal for breakfast, and almonds during the day - something like that? I'm really enjoying my healthy lifestyle...

Like what others have said, try adding some nuts and other healthy fats. I really like peanut butter and 2 2tbsp of Jif is 190 calories. Easy addition right there. I pretty much eat like you, just in larger portions and just a little more snacking. Every morning I have eggs too, but instead of 2, I have at least 4 (omelet or scrambled) and add sliced turkey and sometimes cheese. And for dinner, I usually eat at least 8 ounces of either chicken or fish, having whichever I didn't eat the next night.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree that the body works best when fueled. If you aren't low carbing, maybe add an english muffin or piece of toast with your eggs at breakfast or some bacon. You definitely want to get enough fat. Especially if you are eating higher amounts of protien. Fat keeps things moving if you know what I mean.

Anyway, nuts are great. I like full fat greek yogurt with a tsp of honey. Throw some fruit in there. Apples are great and contain a ton of fiber. You could also add some legumes or beans to your dinners. Good fiber and protein.

If all else fails. Eat some chocolate. I had several hershey kisses yesterday and they were delicious.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I lost my hair when I didn't eat enough :( You will lose weight eating so few calories but your body will sacrifice muscle in order to preserve its precious fat stores. Make sure you are getting your protein and doing some resistant weight training (body weight resistance is fine...no need for weights or machines)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    As others have said, calorie dense foods can be your best friend when you're trying to eat more. These are foods that pack a lot of calories into just a small amount, so they boost your calories quickly without putting a lot of extra food in your stomach.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ this may help you figure out what's missing from your diet, I suggest about 50-40g carbs, 25-30g protein, 25-30g fat but you need to find out what works for you!
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    I lost my hair when I didn't eat enough :( You will lose weight eating so few calories but your body will sacrifice muscle in order to preserve its precious fat stores. Make sure you are getting your protein and doing some resistant weight training (body weight resistance is fine...no need for weights or machines)

Ya see I'm totally not ok with that. I will eat more - no hair loss please! :) I'm starting to work Pilates into my routine for off days - I'll look into resistance training too.

I can definitely add in an extra egg, and more nuts - I can add it to my salads... I'm trying to get the right balance.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Have some fruit and/or toast with the eggs.
    Have some peanut butter on the apple, or combine the fruit snack with a little cheese or nuts.
    Slightly larger portion of chicken w/ the salad.
    Add fruit to the afternoon snack.
    Have some rice with the dinner, or a starchy side like sweet potato, baked potato. Carbs are not evil. :)

Aim for 5+ fruit/veggies per day. Counting the salad as 1 that is...

• GlindaGoodwitch
    Options

Have some rice with the dinner, or a starchy side like sweet potato, baked potato. Carbs are not evil. :)

Aim for 5+ fruit/veggies per day. Counting the salad as 1 that is...

[/quote]

My hips would disagree - but then that was carbs without moderation ;)

Thank you for all the ideas!

• GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    Thank you @diannethegeek for the list!
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    I like carbs too... There is no bad bread! But have learned food in reasonable portions, and living an active life were my 'key' to weight loss and now maintenance.

Getting a reasonable amount of nutrition will help your running program by the way. :)
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    I like carbs too... There is no bad bread! But have learned food in reasonable portions, and living an active life were my 'key' to weight loss and now maintenance.

Getting a reasonable amount of nutrition will help your running program by the way. :)

I can't wait til I'm at a maintenance level. I'm working hard to get there. I know no one food is evil as long as it's in moderation - I would just like to find a nice healthy balance to get me to the "goal" - and then a reasonable maintenance plan. I'm not looking to be a super model. More a super-mom: healthy habits, healthy lifestyle, healthy family. And my pre baby jeans please ;)