Is anyone else losing weight in the hopes of getting pregnan

Options
Hi Everyone! :smile:

Is anyone else on here losing weight in the hopes of being healthy in order to get pregnant?

My name is Shannon and my husband has had cancer three times in three years so we can't have babies naturally anymore so we have to do IVF. Its expensive- like $15,000- so we've been applying for grants (very few available) and have been saving money. We know that once we have enough funding to afford it, that we have one shot, because it will be years before we can come up with that amount of money again. Anyways, so my goal is to lose 55-60lbs so that I am in the healthiest possible shape for the baby. I know there are lots of other people out there who are losing weight to increase their fertility-whether naturally or in addition to fertility assistance, and I thought I would start a thread where we can share ideas, stories and motivation!!

So far, I've heard that losing weight, fertility yoga, and drinking green tea everyday are great for increasing fertility! Other ideas?

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not currently losing weight to become pregnant but I wanted to tell you my story for encouragement! I lost my first pregnancy at 8.5 months due to pregnancy induced hyper tension and a couple other factors but I really believe it had alot to do with my weight. My second pregnancy took 4 years to become pregnant and was awful, long story short on bed rest at 5 mos due to the hyper tension causing premature labor, he was born a month early but everything was good. My third pregnancy we tried and tried for 5 years. About 4.5 years into it I became healthier, made better choices, exercised and lost 60 lbs then bam I was pregnant and had a complication free pregnancy so I truly belief weight plays a HUGE factor in the health of a pregnancy and can stop lots of pregnancy induced problems! Good luck to you!
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It's one of the huge reasons I want to get fit! I'm getting married in July and we want to start trying to have a baby right away. We tried for a few months around the holidays and I'm pretty convinced my weight is why it didn't happen for us(yes I know 3 months isn't long to try) so I want to get as much of this weight off as I can before we start trying again, that way I know I've done everything I can to make it happen :-)
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
  • MrsHinds7
    MrsHinds7 Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi! I'm not currently losing weight to become pregnant but I wanted to tell you my story for encouragement! I lost my first pregnancy at 8.5 months due to pregnancy induced hyper tension and a couple other factors but I really believe it had alot to do with my weight. My second pregnancy took 4 years to become pregnant and was awful, long story short on bed rest at 5 mos due to the hyper tension causing premature labor, he was born a month early but everything was good. My third pregnancy we tried and tried for 5 years. About 4.5 years into it I became healthier, made better choices, exercised and lost 60 lbs then bam I was pregnant and had a complication free pregnancy so I truly belief weight plays a HUGE factor in the health of a pregnancy and can stop lots of pregnancy induced problems! Good luck to you!

Wow!! Thats great!! Thank you so much for sharing. It's very sad that you had so much difficulty at first but SO great to know that improving your health and weight helped!
  • MrsHinds7
    MrsHinds7 Posts: 64
    Options
    It's one of the huge reasons I want to get fit! I'm getting married in July and we want to start trying to have a baby right away. We tried for a few months around the holidays and I'm pretty convinced my weight is why it didn't happen for us(yes I know 3 months isn't long to try) so I want to get as much of this weight off as I can before we start trying again, that way I know I've done everything I can to make it happen :-)

How exciting! I hope it works out for you!! Even trying for a few months can be disheartening. We had exactly one month in between my husband's surgery and the start of the chemotherapy that would make him sterile so we tried very hard but I guess it wasnt meant to be and the timing wasnt right. I hope it happens for yall! Good Luck!!

I found these and am going to order them soon and give them a try:

http://shop.yoga4fertility.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=yf_3004

http://shop.yoga4fertility.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=yf_3003
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat as you. My hubby and i spent close to 10gs this year trying for baby #2. I am not being considered for IVf unless i lose 80lbs. I feel your pain. good luck!!!!!
  • MegaLoveBird
    MegaLoveBird Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey Shannon,
    Thank you for starting the thread! I am also losing weight for a healthier pregnancy. Baby #1 I gained @65 lbs. and ended up getting a CS after 30 hrs. of labor. Not the ideal situation. My hope and prayer is that this time around I make better choices and have more motivation to be healthy for my baby and myself.
    I absolutely appreciate your share and transparency. Our first child was unplanned and happened the first time my husband and I had sex, CRAZY, I couldn't even believe it! However, my husband was told he could never have children due to the surgeries he had due to colon cancer. We've been trying for Baby #2 since October.
    My heart goes out to you Shannon, and also to the rest of you sweet ladies who are posting here.
    xoxo,
    Megan
  • FabiLous5
    FabiLous5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes same here!! Have 2 children from previous marriage, one little girl with current fiance. We want one more but tried last year and nothing. I am looking to lose 30 lbs to be healthier for this future pregnancy (fingers crossed) this is the heaviest I have ever been @ 200 lbs!!!!! We want to try again in 2/3 months, also a getting married in July. Any advice? Does stress cause anything lol. Oh the pressure!!
  • mammabear1193
    mammabear1193 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I sort of an. My daughters a year and half old and I really want a sibling for her but I put on a lot of weight with my pregnancy with her and I don't want that to happen again. So becoming healthy to have another baby is motivation for me.
  • MANONARWAL
    MANONARWAL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember now. I lost a good number of lbs for my wedding with the help of Herbal Magic (don't judge me lol). However, I have gained more weight now (almost 2 years after the wedding). Now that we are planning for a baby, I realize I am at least 20 lbs overweight :( I am really trying with this app to keep my food on track but still it's so slow going. Reading all the risks of an overweight pregnancy scares me and I need the motivation or ideas to keep this weight loss train on the tracks. Looking for someone/a group to relate with to help one another out!
  • futuremommyt
    futuremommyt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Definitely that's me. Besides the other obvious health reasons, my husband and I are planning to start TTC next December. I have around 40 lbs I want to lose before that. Being overweight and pregnant sounds like a nightmare for both mother and baby, and I want to be healthy for pregnancy, delivery, and as a mom.
  • xxval21xx
    xxval21xx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you for thsi post!! Starting a family is a big reason why I want to get healthy! Feel free to add me! I am very supportive and love support from my friends
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Well it's not the only reason, but it is part of the reason i'm sticking with it so much. I want to be really healthy and strong prior to pregnancy, as well as at a good weight so I can make sure i have as healthy of one as possible!
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Want to lose about 15-20 before trying to get pregnant. Don't want weight in addition to age (will be 38) to hinder me from conceiving my first. Pray for me. TIA.
  • Msmikeia
    Msmikeia Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi ladies! I too am on a rough weight lose journey hoping for conception. My hubby and I have been trying for about 19 months. I've gained about 50 pounds in 4 years, so my OBgyn thinks my weight is the problem. It's so depressing and heartbreaking but I'm trying to stay strong and motivated. Best of luck to everyone!
  • chanel62957
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm in the same boat!
    I had my daughter in 2013... And had preclampsia and was on bedrest for over a month.
    My goal is to lose 100 pounds to be healthy for baby #2.
    Wish you all the luck.
    Any one feel free to add me, I'd love support ✌
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    We are going to start trying in two months. I want to lose a few more pounds before we start to be as healthy as possible. Think of you all! Good luck ladies!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    MrsHinds7 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone! :smile:

Is anyone else on here losing weight in the hopes of being healthy in order to get pregnant?

My name is Shannon and my husband has had cancer three times in three years so we can't have babies naturally anymore so we have to do IVF. Its expensive- like $15,000- so we've been applying for grants (very few available) and have been saving money. We know that once we have enough funding to afford it, that we have one shot, because it will be years before we can come up with that amount of money again. Anyways, so my goal is to lose 55-60lbs so that I am in the healthiest possible shape for the baby. I know there are lots of other people out there who are losing weight to increase their fertility-whether naturally or in addition to fertility assistance, and I thought I would start a thread where we can share ideas, stories and motivation!!

So far, I've heard that losing weight, fertility yoga, and drinking green tea everyday are great for increasing fertility! Other ideas?

Hi - I'm a reproductive physiologist so my question is honest and not an attack of your plan to undergo IVF. There are much cheaper possibilities that might work for you, such as artificial insemination or even depositing sperm into the Fallopian tube. IVF is also hard on you. Please go to a good, ethical clinic to discuss all possible strategies. Of course, if there are nearly no sperm, IVF and even ICSI are reasonable.

Either way, there is no doubt that being a healthy and fit woman will help you during all phases of motherhood.

Good luck!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Want to lose about 15-20 before trying to get pregnant. Don't want weight in addition to age (will be 38) to hinder me from conceiving my first. Pray for me. TIA.

I think that because you are 38, you should start trying to conceive now. Best wishes!
  • Drkchyld
    Drkchyld Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i haven't read the thread but browsing seems like the topic has changed. i am trying to get healthier to get pregnant. i hopefully will be going back to iui's next month after an extended break.