Shirataki noodles-- help this girl indulge!

Options
Phoenixflame
Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
So, Hungry Girl raves about these and I've had a good dish of them once. I'm going home soon and would love to make some Shirataki dishes.

Any tips for making them? I tried to make them in my dorm microwave. It didn't turn out well. But I had them from a stovetop some time later, and they were much better. Thing is, I can' t contact the person who made them for me, so I'm at a loss.

So, tips and tricks? Recipes?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    So, Hungry Girl raves about these and I've had a good dish of them once. I'm going home soon and would love to make some Shirataki dishes.

Any tips for making them? I tried to make them in my dorm microwave. It didn't turn out well. But I had them from a stovetop some time later, and they were much better. Thing is, I can' t contact the person who made them for me, so I'm at a loss.

So, tips and tricks? Recipes?
  • rachel512
    rachel512 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hey phoenix,
    the first time i tried these things i cringed but now i swear by them! first you MUST drain them thoroughly (i douse them in hot water to get that strange odor and then dry well) I add tomato sauce and parmasan cheese and throw on some vegan sausage/meatballs...may sound gross if youre not used to eating this way, but feel free to add real meatballs or something like that. Enjoy! Hope this helps...they're 40 calories a pack how can you not learn to love em!
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I rinse them then boil them and rinse again and then cook them with some spaghetti sauce. This is usually how I have them and I love them like this.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    You have to rinse them extremely well. Then dry them. You can then either microwave or boil them as you would cooked pasta.
  • greeneyedgirl
    Options
    where can you buy these noodles?
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    where can you buy these noodles?

I've seen them in the small Commissary here on the military base, so I'm assuming they can be found in pretty much any grocery store.
  • sukey
    sukey Posts: 25
    Options
    What are they made from? I don't think I've ever seen them or heard about them before.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    aren't they in the produce section - refrigerated?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    They are made of Tofu and Yam flour. They are in the refrigerator section of the grocery store usually near the won ton wrappers.

They come packed in water which has a strong smell. You need to rinse them very throughly and dry them before using them. They have very little flavor, so you need to put them with something flavorful.
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    aren't they in the produce section - refrigerated?

Here they are in the produce section, right next to the tofu.