Fitbit with MFP

I've been looking into possibly getting a Fitbit. Wanted to hear from anyone that had one if it is worth it and does it really help. Also, was wondering which one you have. I am torn between the FitBit one and the wristband Fitbit. Not sure which one is "better" or more accurate.

If anyone that has a Fitbit could provide some feedback I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Replies

• cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    I've had a fitbit one since June 2014. And I just got a fitbit charge HR on Monday.

I got my first fitbit when I hit my goal weight and I've been using it to maintain my weight. It works great for maintaining. I "eat" 50%-100% of my fitbit calories.

I like that the fitbit one is discreet. I wear it on my bra. However, I was looking for a new watch, so the fitbit charge HR works nicely and I really like I don't have to strap on a separate HR monitor.

I've been wearing both the one and the charge HR since Monday and the steps/calories burned are similar.
    I can't give feedback on the heart rate monitor because I've been sick and too weak to workout.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    I have the charge hr, and have been using it for a month. I'm going into maintenance. I have my settings at sedentary and average a fitbit positive calorie adjustment of 300-500 calories per day. I've occasionally eaten some of those calories and I'm still losing. I think it's pretty accurate.
  • nc603
    nc603 Posts: 17
    Thank you @cjames010 and @mom2ava07 for your feedback.

I am looking at the Fitbit to help with my weight loss. I like that it would track my entire day without having to strap on a HR monitor during my workouts. The calories burned for exercise on MFP seem high to me, so I was looking at getting something more accurate.
  • tbee83
    tbee83 Posts: 9
    I just got a FitBit Flex (wristband) and started wearing it yesterday. It syncs to MFP so I can see both apps right on my phone. I counted my first 100 steps and it was accurate. I keep checking to see how many steps I have taken and I am already driven to walk more.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    It helps so much. I know that if I get my 10k steps in, I get another 300-400 calories for the day. (I'm set to sedentary on both my fitbit and MFP) I've lost 24 pounds, the most I've EVER lost in my adult life, and I love the competitions I get in with friends (built into the fitbit app) to get the most steps in a day/week/weekend. It's very motivating.
  • Angierae75
    (And I eat back most of what my fitbit gives me, and I'm losing.)
  • nc603
    @Angierae75 - Do you have the Fitbit One or the wristband Fitbit?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    It's been a great thing for me. I am so short that if I don't stay active, I don't have a lot of calories to work with. So it lets me make sure I get at least 10K steps in and then adjusts my MFP calorie goal accordingly. I find it to be pretty accurate for me and I wear an older model. I haven't tried the wrist type and probably wouldn't because I have seen too many people complain about them. They say that it either picks up steps when you're not walking, because your arm is moving or it doesn't pick up steps because your arm's not moving (say when pushing a grocery cart.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Here's a link to the FitBit Group.....so much information there

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

FAQ's.....Friends, Discussions. This should be really helpful.
  • nc603
    @maidentl - thank you so much for the info. That is exactly what I was wanting to know. I want something that can accurately track my calorie burn not only for the day but also during my workouts but I don't want to have to strap on a HR monitor. I also like how the Fitbit One is discreet.

@TeaBea - Thank you so much for the link to the group. I couldn't find a way to search for groups so I tried scrolling to find a Fitbit one and it too forever!! This really helps. :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I got the plain easy and simple fitbit zip last week. I counted my steps myself to compare and it's pretty spot on. I dont exercise other than walking so the HRM ones would be of no use to me. It has helped me tremendously! Before i was averaging 1500-2000 steps, since getting the fitbit i'm between 10,000-15,000 steps everyday. I've never walked this much in my life! :D
  • Angierae75
    nc603 wrote: »

I have a Flex. (Wristband)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Angierae75 wrote: »

I have a Flex. (Wristband)

Is wearing a wristband a pain? Does it look funny? What about if you walk but don't swing your arms etc etc
    I've got mine permanently clicked onto my bra
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    @maidentl - thank you so much for the info. That is exactly what I was wanting to know. I want something that can accurately track my calorie burn not only for the day but also during my workouts but I don't want to have to strap on a HR monitor. I also like how the Fitbit One is discreet.

@TeaBea - Thank you so much for the link to the group. I couldn't find a way to search for groups so I tried scrolling to find a Fitbit one and it too forever!! This really helps. :smiley:

Keep in mind that it can only track your workouts if they're steps - if you walk or run, otherwise it's not useful for workouts. I couldn't even get it to accurately track the elliptical. My main exercise is walking, so it works for me. :)

• amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Not to muddy the water but I found an UP Move by Jawbone at Costco a couple of weeks ago for $47.00 (includes two wristbands and a clip). For the price, I couldn't resist. It's really nice since I do mostly walking and running for my cardio work. Like others have said, it really is helpful to see how you're doing. My job is extremely sedentary and I now have 'benchmarks' during the day so I can make sure I reach my 10,000 step goal each day. Worth every penny.