when to start the transition

Ok let me give some stats

35years old
male
6'4"
Sw 310lbs
cw 260~

I do jiu jitsu 2-3 a week and would like to start the strong lifts program. Im not very strong considering my hieght. Push ups are embarrassing and my arms and chest are small

i sure i have 20 -30 pounds of fat to loose but would also like to get stronger to help with my sport, and appearance. When should i start lifting? Should i eat a surplus?

More info to follow

Replies

• kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    I'd start lifting right away and don't eat a surplus. Once you get down to a maintenance weight, you can decide what to do. As a beginner, you can gain strength without a surplus of calories and still lose fat with a deficit. You'll love seeing the weights get heavier! Everybody has to start somewhere, so just get in there!
  • Toyota3b
    Toyota3b Posts: 4 Member
    Iv heard that i will be waisting my time and wont get stronger in a deficit. Im currently set to loose 2 pounds a week, and on average , thats what iv done since before Christmas
  • Toyota3b
    Iv gone to the gym two times in the last bit doing the 5x5 stronglift program. I was sore and had the delayed mussle soreness for days
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Toyota3b wrote: »
    Iv heard that i will be waisting my time and wont get stronger in a deficit. Im currently set to loose 2 pounds a week, and on average , thats what iv done since before Christmas

With your stats, I believe you can gain strength, or at least become more and more efficient and be able to continue upping your weights. You should start lifting now, even if it's just to save muscle as you lose fat.
  • Toyota3b
    No Transgender stuff to worry about Pancake.
  • Hey, maybe i can help. I was a competitive power lifter and brazilian jiu jitsu Brown belt.

Powerlifting(low rep lifting) isnt going to help you. As big as you are, you want to develop strength, but also endurance behind that strength. You want to teach your muscles to function when they're still fatigued.

A lot of guys i know do high rep workouts. This one guy, who is the strongest man i know does 100 rep per body part workouts. Ive done his workout and its intense. He does it a few times a week in between training. With the trauma to your joints and body from the jj alone Its important to make sure you have rest days.

If you have any questions, let me know. Thanks