What to drink during weight loss?

Options
AlyM725
AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
Hello All,
I am having a bit of trouble in my weight loss journey. Its been throwing me off for years, and usually the reason I quit after a while. I have no idea what I should drink! I usually drink Dr. Pepper, but I know that's not good and needs to stop. However, just plain water doesn't cut it, and I get sick of it after a week or two. Artificial sweetners (aspartame, Splenda, etc) make me dizzy and give me horrible headaches, so Crystal Light et al is out. I don't think stevia does this, but I've only tried it once to make sweet tea. I've tried make water with fruits, but it just doesn't do it. Does anyone have any suggestions on a flavorful, low calorie drink?

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Iced tea sweetened w stevia?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Have you tried water with cucumber peel? Sounds weird but it's a super nice flavor, more fresh than anything.

Or what about sun tea? (tip: sun is not necessary) https://www.pinterest.com/explore/sun-tea-recipes/
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    About a half gallon per day of coffee together with water and a cup of tea before bed.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Water... Water ... Water..
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened tea? AND WATER. Mix it up so you don't get bored. Limiting yourself to one thing has never helped anyone.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I would suggest drinking whatever you plan to drink after you've lost the weight. It could make maintaining your loss harder if you go back to eating/drinking things you gave up while losing.
  • cat_caffeine
    cat_caffeine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    carbonated water with fruit/stevia might be a good option for you. All of the benefits of water and fruit but the fizz might help with the transition
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Unsweetened tea. Is my savior. Also black cold brewed coffee, no later than 3pm for me. Also coconut water for after a workout. Also Bragg makes some delicious low calorie Apple Cider Vinegar drinks, but those are sweetened with stevia.

Another big favorite of mine is sparkling water. Look for la croix or something like a sparkling poland springs or ice mountain water, which come in soooo many flavors. Occasionally I will add an emergen-c for an extra mood/energy boost with minimal calories. The fizziness is very fulfilling.

Also if I'm splurging, I'll get a GT's/Reeds/Kevita kombucha. Those are low calorie, usually about 70 calories per bottle or less, and they have live probiotic cultures, and they are fizzy like soda :)

Oh yeah, and get a water pitcher with a fruit infuser. Lemon water will give you a vitamin C boost and keep you energized and hydrated throughout the day.

I'm a beverage lover, like yourself, as you can see. I used to drink Diet Coke by the case, but I kicked it.

If I get a soda now, it's going to be all natural like Blue Sky or a stevia-based soda, and only on occasion.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Whatever the heck you want, make it fit.

I love water, soda water, tea, diet pop, coffee, wine, beer, hard alcohol.....
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I gave up artificial sweeteners (including the ones touting themselves as "natural" like stevia and agave) and have for the last several months have drank almost exclusively hint fizz (unsweet sparkling water.) Once you make the adjustment you will likely not miss soda at all. Sparkling Ice is great but is sweetened with Sucralose so if you aren't adverse to sucralose that's also a great alternative.
  • NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try LaCroix. My wife loves'em. Fizzy but no calories, no sweetener, and no sodium.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    NateMcG76 wrote: »
    Try LaCroix. My wife loves'em. Fizzy but no calories, no sweetener, and no sodium.

Love lacroix. They're actually really good.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I used to drink the market pantry fizzy waters, cherry. But now I drink 90% water, sometimes I'll throw in a Diet Dr. Pepper, coffee, sometimes beer. Don't cut everything out, be happy but yes mostly healthy. :smiley:
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Get a water bottle and cut up some fresh fruit and put it in the bottom. Strawberries and kiwi are good, or orange slices. Also apple and a tsp. of cinnamon is a good combo! Then fill the bottle up with cold water and leave it in the fridge over night. The fruit flavor will be infused into your water. It's a nice way to give it a little hint of sweet without adding any artificial sweeteners!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water but sometimes I get tired of the tastelessness. I have added lime juice, lemon juice and cranberry juice to plain water for just a few calories it gives some flavor. Sparkling water works the same, I have also looked at some of the water flavorings, there are a few out there that do not have artificial sweeteners in them and are still low calorie. I have found some sparkling fruit juices that only have about 60-80 calories each, Ocean Spray makes some. Last summer I discovered Dry Soda brand soft drinks that are only 40-70 calories a bottle. They come in various flavors. I found them in Washington state and have been able to buy them online. I have mixed soda water with orange or grapefruit juice and that is good as well. I have stalked the drink aisle in the grocery store checking calorie counts and ingredient labels searching for alternatives. I will also make "sun" tea with fruit flavored teas, it gives a little sweetness without the sugar.