Alternatives to bar squat

Options
So i've been lifting at the gym now for about 5 weeks (yeah i know i'm a veteran!) i was lucky enough to not be in work so was able to go at none busy times but now unfortunately I'm back in work and so have to go at peak times.
My gym is fairly small and there are only three squat racks- at busy times this area is full of groups of blokes who go around together and tend to use this equipment all evening every evening.

Instead of getting annoyed about it, because they're fully entitled to do that, i was wondering if anyone could recommend another exercise that i can do that doesn't involve a bar that but will give me just as good a work out? I'm planning to do this when i cant get to it and then on weekends etc do the bar if its a bit quieter. for example a kettle bell squat?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Google goblet squat.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'd say Goblet Squats, where you can hold a kettle bell or dumbbells, or even a plate. I've had to switch to them for a while due to my form problems with any bar squats. I can't use very heavy weights, though, so I also include Barbell Glute Bridges to help make up for the issue.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,802 Member
    Options
    I prefer Bulgarian split squats. It's like a cross between a squat and a lunge. Stand before a bench with a dumbbell in each hand, facing away from the bench. Carefully raise one leg behind you to rest the foot on the bench. Now bend the front leg to lower yourself to the ground, preferably til the knee of your back leg touches the ground but as low as you can go. Reverse motion back up. Repeat for reps, switch legs. Start with light weights until you get the motion and balance down, but eventually you can work up to quite heavy depending on grip strength.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Its not ideal, but there's always the Smith Machines. Leg Press machines as well. I also like to do walking lunges with the fixed weight barbells. If there is a free full-size bar, you've got hack squats you could do. Also a T-bar squat. Hopefully you'll find a good option. Alternatively, you could always ask to work in :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    terizius wrote: »
    Its not ideal, but there's always the Smith Machines. Leg Press machines as well. I also like to do walking lunges with the fixed weight barbells. If there is a free full-size bar, you've got hack squats you could do. Also a T-bar squat. Hopefully you'll find a good option. Alternatively, you could always ask to work in :)

Goblet squats or split squats are both far superior alternatives to the smith machine.
    I wouldn't even entertain the thought of using the smith machine.

OP, ask to work in. That's the best option if it isn't free.
    You could also go earlier in the day, before work, if your gym is open.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've had a shoulder injury and have been unable to do back squats. I have been doing front squats but otherwise will do goblet or kettle bell squats and normal dumbbell squats I also do the single leg squats that nossmf mentions.
  • Ellst85
    Ellst85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys there are some great ideas there! I do a bit of the goblet squat now - I'll just add a few of the other suggestions in too so it doesn't get samey
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a Trap Bar aka Hex Bar? If so, doing Trap Bar Deadlifts is actually a very good supplement for the squat, very similar range of motion.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The goblet squat and, at least early on, dumbbell squats are good substitutes.