Going over Goals

Options
I have a problem. I don't usually get 1200 calories without going in the red with my goals. I know it's important to eat my 1200 calories but I don't like going in the red. What should I do?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well I would start with eating more than 1200 but that's another thing...

As for your goals ie carbs, protein etc you have to remember those are minimum requirements...don't worry about it unless you have a medical condition and you are required to watch things like sugar etc.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    How long have you been aiming for 1200 calories? Are you losing anything with how many calories you are eating now?

I'm thinking your goal might be too aggressive. But I have no info to go on.
  • pattywedge
    pattywedge Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories for almost 3 weeks now. I have lost 6 pounds so far. My goal is to lose around 1 to 2 pounds per week. I have 39 pounds left to lose.
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    1- 1200, is probably not enough.
    2- if you are going over your proteins and fats, i wouldn't worry about it, the app is a suggestions not a law, especially if you are using the ridiculous default macro breakdown.
  • pattywedge
    Options
    Why is 1200 calories not enough?
  • melanieliving
    Options
    It's pretty much the bare minimum required to remain healthy, there is no room in a 1200 calorie diet for indulgences EVERYTHING you eat should provide you essential nutrients or you will end up being deficient.

1200 is a *magic* number propagated by a lot of marketing and nonsense. Eat real food, be active, easy.
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far. I wouldn't worry a lot about the macros unless you are way over on sodium or sugar. Kind of impossible for it to be perfect anyway, just keep close to them.

And those who say 1200 net calories is not enough wouldn't say that if they were short, older, and have a desk job. Everyone is different. That is why MFP gives some of us that amount for a day. A little more and we don't lose and only a couple hundred calories more than that and we gain.

OP, keep doing what you are doing!
  • BlxxdtheFrxxk
    BlxxdtheFrxxk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I avoid going into the red because i set mfp to lose 1 pound a week but I eat to lose 2 pounds a week. So as long as i eat under 1730 calories I never go into the red. :)
  • melanieliving
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @lisac195 I'm 5'1, work a office/desk job and eat 1800 calories (more if i'm working out hard) and still lose weight at a rate of 0.5-2lbs per week (many factors attribute to weight loss on the scale-ex hormones). It's all about what you choose to eat. No matter what, being on a 1200 calorie diet requires excellent planning.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    lisac195 wrote: »
    Congrats on the weight loss so far. I wouldn't worry a lot about the macros unless you are way over on sodium or sugar. Kind of impossible for it to be perfect anyway, just keep close to them.

And those who say 1200 net calories is not enough wouldn't say that if they were short, older, and have a desk job. Everyone is different. That is why MFP gives some of us that amount for a day. A little more and we don't lose and only a couple hundred calories more than that and we gain.

OP, keep doing what you are doing!

^I agree. Protein, fat and carbs I just try not to go far *under* - don't worry about over. And if you eat basically any fruit at all, you'll be over on your sugar as well which is silly.

I agree also about the 1200 calories - especially if you're hitting all of your macros, that makes me think you have a nice balanced diet with nutrient-rich foods. Calories are the most important thing for weight loss, but I don't think they're the best way to gauge the health of someone's diet.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    pattywedge wrote: »

It might be enough if you are short and sedentary. The important question to ask first is: How did you come up with 1200 calories? did you use a calculator or just pull it out of the air because it's the generic number in lots of magazine articles? If you did use a calculator, which one? Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Also, in which categories are you usually ending up "in the red?" I don't worry about some as much as others. In fact, I've changed which nutrients I monitor, I dropped sugar and sodium and put fiber and calcium in their place.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Extra walks keeps me out of the red. I'm on 1200/day and lost 8 lbs so far. Congrats on the loss :smiley:
  • pattywedge
    Options
    I do have an office job. I am 5'5" 47 years old and pre menopausal. I am walking at least 1 hour a day and I do use some of my extra points. I have noticed that some fruits are very high in sugar and don't eat them, I look for low point fruits. I also try not to eat after 8:00pm.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

It might be enough if you are short and sedentary. The important question to ask first is: How did you come up with 1200 calories? did you use a calculator or just pull it out of the air because it's the generic number in lots of magazine articles? If you did use a calculator, which one? Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Also, in which categories are you usually ending up "in the red?" I don't worry about some as much as others. In fact, I've changed which nutrients I monitor, I dropped sugar and sodium and put fiber and calcium in their place.

Listen to this wise woman!

I'm on 1240, but I'm short, sedentary, and a bit older than you. It's an appropriate calorie goal for me.

How tall are you and what's your activity level?

Regarding being in the red, what numbers are you seeing there? I never worry if I go over in protein or fiber or sugar (because it's set very low, and I know I don't eat a lot), for example. Some might be concerning and show your diet is out of balance OR that you might simply benefit from resetting your dietary goals in MFP through customization.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    With less than 40 pounds to lose you would probably be better off setting your weekly weight loss goal to 1 pound a week. That should give you more calories to consume.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I do have an office job. I am 5'5" 47 years old and pre menopausal. I am walking at least 1 hour a day and I do use some of my extra points. I have noticed that some fruits are very high in sugar and don't eat them, I look for low point fruits. I also try not to eat after 8:00pm.

What is your current weight?

In what categories are you "in the red?"

You keep referring to "points." I assume you have used Weight Watchers in the past? MFP and calorie counting work a bit differently, so set aside what you know about "points" and just log everything you eat.
  • melanieliving
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    With less than 40 pounds to lose you would probably be better off setting your weekly weight loss goal to 1 pound a week. That should give you more calories to consume.

YES!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have similar stats. I'm 43 yrs, 5'4" and work a desk job from my home office. I'm 35 pounds overweight. My equilibrium calories if I don't get out and exercise is between 1500-1600 calories. When I had 12+ months of strength training under my belt 2 years ago, my muscle mass was bigger and I was burning more like 1700. I'm pretty confident of these numbers because I have a Fitbit, a heart rate monitor, kitchen scale and I have some pretty solid logging streaks under my belt where I can see actuals for calories in/calorie burned/weight changes.

If I target 1200 net calories, that only puts me at 1 pound loss a week. 1200 net calories is a PERFECTLY HEALTHY calorie goal for someone with our stats. It is less likely to be a reasonable target for someone taller, younger and in their 20s.

Just sayin'
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

It's probably what MFP calculated for her, and she trusted the site, as most of us do on here. I doubt she just pulled it out of the air. I'm on 1,200 as well (as per MFP's recommendation for me to lose 2lbs/week). I'm 5'7" and have a desk job and I work out (hard!) 5 days a week minimum & walk 1.5+ miles each day on my lunch...so I net 1,200 but I usually get to eat more than that. On "rest" days I try to stick to the 1,200.
  • lburnett66
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories per day and was gaining weight. Si I added more exercise, still the same thing. I went to a nutritionist and had my resting metabolic rate checked (which measures the # of calories your body needs for basic functions). Turns out my RMR is 1700. My body was in starvation mode because I was eating 500 below my RMR. And on days where I ran 6-7 miles? Good lord, it was a full-on revolt. Once I started eating more, the weight gain stopped, and now the weight loss has started.

Just a word of advice - you can do a lot of damage if you assume the "standard" guidelines work for everyone.

Getting my RMR measured answered a lot of questions. I highly recommend it - it's a 10 minute test that any RD or nutritionist should be able to do. Totally worth it.