Toppings for Plain Greek Yogurt

Options
I like to eat Yogurt twice a day and I always use raisins as toppings, I am worried I am adding too much sugar and defeating the purpose of eating plain yogurt.

Any suggestions for toppings without adding too much sugars or carbs.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "too much" sugars or carbs. How many raisins are we talking about here?

When I have room for carbs in my macros, I like to drizzle some honey over my greek yogurt. When I don't, I find that about half a serving of frozen cherries, thawed, make a tasty topping and add some fiber to my diet.
  • Putrevus
    Putrevus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "too much" sugars or carbs. How many raisins are we talking about here?

When I have room for carbs in my macros, I like to drizzle some honey over my greek yogurt. When I don't, I find that about half a serving of frozen cherries, thawed, make a tasty topping and add some fiber to my diet.

I use a tbsp of raisins once so it is like 2 to 3 tbsps everyday.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I pack mine in the morning with frozen berries and flax seeds. By lunch time they are thawed and juicy and I mix them in. I usually add some Sweet N Low too. Sometimes I add cocoa powder, but not very often. Mixed with the berries its very good.
  • ramndeepbining
    Options
    Peanuts
    berries
    even sliced bananas would work as toppings but my favourite BLUEBERRIES AND RASPBERRIES!
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like a couple of drops of liquid stevia from trader joes with cinnamon and vanilla. No added calories.

I also like a tablespoon of fruit preserves (35 calories)

Love frozen berries.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Granola because I can't make myself believe that something is food if I don't have to chew it.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I also love mixing greek yogurt with sriacha sauce and using it for veggie dip or in place of sour cream.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I mix in:
    -pb & spelnda then dip apples or spread it on toasted banana bread.
    -smashed berries
    -smashed strawberries, splenda, cocoa powder, crushed girl scout cookies
    -pb, splenda, chocolate chips

I want to try cookie butter mixed in one day but it's thicker than PB so it'd be harder to stir in
  • vellablu
    vellablu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and some liquid stevia (organic from trader joes- zero calories and zero sugar)! If you have room for carbs, crumble up half a quest bar. It's 90 calories and .5 gram of sugar for chocolate chip.
  • GregA1968
    GregA1968 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use fresh or frozen blueberries and raspberries and chopped plain almonds for texture.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    WHO has recommended a restriction on "free sugars" like the white stuff you spoon in to coffee, and syrups. Raisins and fruits don't count towards that restriction.

I like mixing oatmeal in to plain yogurt (greek is too thick) and then layering with frozen blueberries like a parfait. Let it soak overnight.

Other options for your Greek yogurt:
    Currants
    Chia (give time to soak)
    Coconut flakes
    Banana
  • jbgibso3
    jbgibso3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    *Peanut butter, honey, almonds
    *Peanut butter and berries
    *Chia, organic granola, honey
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nuts - peanuts, walnuts or pecans
    or nut butter - almond, cashew or hazelnut
    and sweetener - brown sugar, maple syrup or honey.

Despite the sugar I add, it will be less sugary than commercial varieties.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I use 3 prunes to top my honey Greek yogurt but that probably is not much different from raisins. The amount of sugar and carbs isn't very high and fits my goals though.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Mixing just 1 Tsp. of maple syrup and 1 Tbsp. of cinnamon in makes it so yummy and doesn't increase your sugar intake significantly. You could also try a natural, calorie free sweetener, such as Stevia. Just mix in one pack to start though, cuz that stuff is pretty sweet! Other good toppings are nuts and seeds. Doesn't add sugar, but gives some crunch! I like to mix a couple Tbsp. of raw, unsalted almonds in mine. Or, you could try a Tbsp. of granola. Just look for one that's low in added sugar and high in protein and fiber, and keep the portion small because it is calorie dense! Fresh fruit also is always a great option. It adds some sugar,but not added sugar, the natural kind! I love blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, peaches, apples, or sliced bananas in mine. Throwing in a few slices of kiwi and a couple halved strawberries is also delicious!
  • emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love frozen berries with mine :)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i make my own toppings
    Jam kinda toppings

Cook apples with cinnamon and some sugar or sweetener
    Cook strawberries or peaches with some vanilla and sweetener or sugar.
    Any other kinda fruits will do. And i use nuts too.

I make them and put them in the recipe feature here and calculate the "about servings i am going to make. When the batch is ready i weigh out how much a table spoon is. And log that correctly in the recipe. Than when i eat yogurt i take a table spoon of what i like that day. Apple pie topping with raisins etc or pear topping or melon etc.
    I make all kinds
    I also use them with cereal, ice cream

Most of the time i have a yummie topping for about 50 calories which is fresh and healthier than store bought options.
    Plus i can control how sweet or sour a topping is.

Another advantage is that you can freeze it in portions. handy is an icecub tray and weigh your portions into it and freeze. The evening before i take a portion or two out of the kind/taste i would like to eat the next morning.
    Just use your imagination

Cooking can be adventurous if you want too :)
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I tsp jam. Any fresh fruit you like. Nuts. Salted sunflower seeds - sounds weird but it really is yummy!
  • chill3568
    chill3568 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Granola because I can't make myself believe that something is food if I don't have to chew it.

I agree! Granola. Love the crunch! Very satisfying!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Walnuts and honey, fresh strawberries (or whatever berries you like), corn flakes, maple syrup
    If it does not have to be a sweet treat or eaten as dessert, mint/spearmint and a hint of salt