Scale problems, what to believe?

Options
Okay I've had this old health o meter scale(http://www.healthometer.com/Product.aspx?cid=1086&pid=8508) for like 8 years now and I started to notice that sometimes the readings just don't make sense. I step on it and get my weight then maybe 5 mins later after doing nothing that changes my weight I can try again and see a drastic difference( + or - up to 1.5 lbs!). Then a few mins later it will change again up or down a varying amount. I understand it rounds to the nearest .2 lbs but these are usually at least .6 lb differences. This was a bit disturbing so I thought I should buy a new scale since this one is old maybe the battery isn't right... I didn't want something real expensive and fancy just an accurate weight scale so I looked around and this one from EatSmart (EatSmart™ Precision Digital Bathroom Scale http://www.eatsmartproducts.com/products) seemed to have nice reviews on Amazon for a good price.

So this morning I weighed myself on both scales and got the same number which I thought was a good sign, then I weighed myself again on both scales after letting them reset and the old one told me I was up .6lbs from the first reading and the new one told me down .2 lbs!! This is all very frustrating... I know the scale isn't the most important part of weight loss and getting healthy BUT I like to know the information I'm getting is accurate!

I have both scales on a tile floor that is level (I checked with a bubble level) so I know that's not the problem and I try to step on the same way every time... any ideas?

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about the 8oz fluctuation and just look at whole numbers or buy a more expensive scale.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Well if it's only changing max +/- 1#, then it's relatively accurate. It seems you're looking for consistency enough to show when you've lost weight, but you're going to get fluctuations (from your body) even if you have the must accurate scale in the world. Go with the more consistent one and consider success when you see a trend..

One scale tells me something thats up to 3# off from the other, but they're both consistent. So, I only get excited when I see a trend..
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If it's going to freak you out every time you step on the scale, just step on it one time and take that reading.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Just try and weigh yourself once a week. Ur weight can fluctuate so much during the day. I once weighed myself daily and was getting discouraged from seeing different numbers everytime. Try the once a week thing, it'll be hard at first but its better for ya. :smile:
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My scale is a Health-o-Meter. When I weigh, I get on it 3 times in a row. I have to tap it once (so I get a 0.00 reading) before I get on it. The first time is usually up to .4 heavier than my actual weight. I weigh two more times just to be sure I get the same number. A little OCD coming out here????
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    To me it's not really about the freaking out over numbers it's about the accuracy. I don't want to step on it and see 1.5 lbs loss if it isn't accurate. I'm perfectly fine with seeing a gain even because I know it's likely body functions if I have stuck with my calorie deficit and it will show eventually. I'm not referring to weighing myself multiple times in a day I mean within minutes, I don't think my body gained or lost a lb by standing there at the scale..

I guess my question is should I be worried my scale isn't accurate or does everybody have that problem?

Yes I am a little OCD about accuracy in my #'s lol...
  • RoySaffold
    RoySaffold Posts: 7
    Options
    i have a Taylor scale that was recommended by Consumer Reports as accurate and repeatable that also does 0.2 pound increments. I might advise you that a shift of 0.2 pounds indicates that your weight is close to the boundary of the next 0.2 pound. But even that isn't the real answer, the real answer is that these scales are accurate to plus or minus 0.2 pounds. If your new scale bounces around more than up or down 0.2, then it isn't doing a good job. Your old scale. which you report would vary 0.6 pounds, seemed to have a problem with repeatable accuracy. But plus or minus only 0.2 pounds is pretty good for any bathroom scale. By contrast, a doctor's scale generally is marked in quarter pound increments (0.25) and you can get the same number on repeated measurements if they are done very carefully. If you are in a hurry (like the nurse at the doctor's office) you'll get plus or minus 0.25 on those very expensive scales.
  • RoySaffold
    RoySaffold Posts: 7
    Options
    Just a post script...

I would advise that you to weigh yourself first thing in the morning after arising, before you eat or drink anything. Also weigh with no clothes on. That way removes most of the variables other than what is currently working its way through your digestive system.

Personally, I weigh before and after my shower (I dry off before weighing). Most days there is no change, some days I see a 0.2 pound difference, and very, very rarely a 0.4 difference (once in 72 days).