Juice vs Smoothies

Options
Hi All!
So I'm running into an issue where I buy a ton of fruit and veggies every week but I end up throwing them out because they end up going bad. I hate eating fruits and veggies but I'll drink them all day long. However my blender is cheap ($15 from Walmart) so it doesnt fully blend stuff like spinach so I end up with a weird texture and little pieces of veggies in the fruit mix.
I'm debating buying a juicer for veggies to try to get more in my diet but I don't know anything about juicing.

Is there a major difference between juicing and blending? is one better for weight loss?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Juicing leaves you no fiber as it's discarded. Blending leave in fiber, so there is at least that. Better "blenders" like a Ninja or Nutribullet will handle that. Just realize, its an easy and fast way to take in calories, so just a "heads up" as you can easily drink a lot of calories without realizing it.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the nutribullet. It is so easy to use, so easy to clean up, and the smoothies it makes are delicious. Plus, if you get a nutribullet you can use frozen fruits and veg in your smoothies and they don't go bad if you forget them for a while.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Juicing keeps most calories and nutrients but gets rid of the fiber/bulk. The bulk/fiber is what fills you up.
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    definitely try getting a nutribullet... i love mine.. i would rather drink my veggies and fruit then eat them.... and its great when ur fruit starts t go bad example bananas u can freeze them and make it into a smoothie... just think in the summer when it gets hot drinking a nice cold smoothie
  • kchemsi
    kchemsi Posts: 1
    Options
    Nutribullet all the way...I never thought I would be having spinach, carotts, banana, various seeds, dates...in the same delicious smoothie. The texture is great too!
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have a nearly new Breville juicer with an extra extractor basket that I will gladly sell you. Once I saw how much pulp I was throwing out I realised that it really was a waste of good vegetables.
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Smoothies!! I've done both and I prefer the taste, texture, and additional nutrient content of smoothies. One of the best tips I have before you run out and buy a new blender is to first blend the spinach and your liquid (unsweetened vanilla almond milk for me) together alone. This helps me get it nice and smooth before adding in my fruit.

I was worried my blender wouldn't be good enough after reading about the more expensive nutribullets and ninjas, and having one of those probably will help me expand into adding harder veggies and seeds, but my little magic bullet works fine for what I want now, as does the old standard blender my parents got for their wedding 20 plus years ago, using the above tip.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamix and its the best investment i ever made! Itll pulverize the foid into juice! My favorite is making soups in it. Itll boil it right in the blender. Made spinach cream soup today, and tomato soup is one of my favorites. They are pricey but i use mine every day and ill never be without one!