Where is the magic button?

Options
redscylla
redscylla Posts: 211 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
This is maybe more of a rant than an actual question, but does anyone else sometimes feel like there's a magic button of motivation and commitment somewhere in their psyche that gets turned on or off at random?

For example, in September, I committed to 30 days of no added sugar or simple carbs. Just like that, I cut out bread, candy, other baked goods, sugar in my coffee. Push the button, turn off the urge. It was effortless. I did not experience even a moment of temptation. In fact, I didn't immediately rush out and celebrate Day 31 with scads of sugar.

Somewhere in November, however, I slowly drifted back to eating sugar and simple carbs. (Edit for clarity: because I have no intention of attempting this as a life long habit. I know that doesn't work. But I do like to give myself occasional challenges, to see what I can manage. My goals are and have been in the my 43 years on this planet: to eat healthy foods, to consume treats in moderation, and to maintain a healthy weight. Yet, I have failed at that repeatedly.) Not coincidentally, I drifted back to some other bad habits and started to regain weight.

So I swore that in January, I was going back to my good habits. The same commitment I'd made in September. Except this time, I struggled. I argued with myself. I cheated. I failed. I binged. I cried. I went on tirades against my weakness. Right up until this Saturday, March 28th.

On Saturday, I woke up in the same frail, obese, mortal body as always, only suddenly I had no trouble eating healthy food and avoiding crap foods. Granted, it's only been three days now, but those three days have been effortless. I went grocery shopping. I cooked things. I ate salads. I had a yogurt as dessert one night. I've been at work all day--the hotbed of temptation for me--and I just ate my healthy lunch and chewed a piece of sugar free gum, and I'm happy. Looking forward to my home cooked dinner later.

Like somebody had just pushed my magic button of motivation and commitment to healthier living. What gives? How can I go for months, struggling to eat healthy meals instead of stuffing my face with pizza, and then have these periods of tranquil acceptance of low calorie, wholesome foods? What is that? Is it an emotional issue? A seasonal issue? A hormonal thing?

I'm desperate to understand this magic button, because I'm tired of fumbling around trying to keep it turned on.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The magic button is learning to fit the added sugars and simple carbs in moderation.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    To expand on that.

When you cut things out you may be motivated initially. If it is a habit at some point you will be required to use will power to continue it. We don't have infinite will power.

Instead of fighting the old it is easier to build new habits. Focusing on eating vegetables, fruits and lean meats at the main meals while adding the things you enjoy to keep you on track is sustainable. It makes the commitment easier and then you don't need motivation. It requires less will power to have a small amount than it does to cut it out completely.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The magic button is learning to fit the added sugars and simple carbs in moderation.

Yep, this. ^^^^

It's not sustainable OP!!
  • redscylla
    Options
    Of course it's not long term sustainable. That's not the mystery. The mystery is why sometimes eating the things I know are good for me is so hard sometimes. September was just an anomaly, the sort of "challenge" I like to give myself sometimes. Nothing I expect to keep up for the rest of my life. What I do expect to keep up is still incredibly elusive. Why between November and March was it seemingly impossible to just eat healthy foods in moderation? It was. I sabotaged myself like crazy over just a really basic healthy diet with reasonable treats. Then I go through periods where that is incredibly simple. Literally, like a switch has been thrown in my mental/emotional state.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The only magic button I have is the MFP app on my phone. Log it and try to make it sustainable. You can set up little challenges for yourself but I usually make those physical challenges like burpees or planks. The eating one can throw you into a binge.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Were you restricting your calories too much? By the way, you arent alone. I have that same darn button.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your personality type seems to be all or nothing and with dieting it seems you go to extremes and dont really think things through. You male things harder for yourself than need be.
  • redscylla
    Options
    That's what makes me crazy: after my 30 day challenge, I didn't go off the rails. I didn't binge after it was over. I just slowly slid back into bad habits, and then had this incredible struggle to return to good habits. I never over-restrict, because I am, in fact, not an all or nothing type. Would you accuse someone of being all or nothing, if they challenged themselves to run a marathon?

I always log, but logging is not a magic button. There is something crazy making about sometimes finding it super easy to reduce and stick to a reasonable plan, and sometimes finding it nearly impossible. Like what is the mental/emotional/chemical factor that controls how easy/hard the task seems?
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think the answer lies in counseling. Something was going on that triggered you and counseling can help identify the problem. It doesn't mean you're weak if you seek counseling.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    There is no magic button. Motivation comes and goes for everyone. Being consistent is all that you need for results. Sometimes hormonal fluctuations can make it harder (leptin, cortisol, etc.).
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Ahh lord yes!
    And the only thing I can tell is to push through. I try to cheat with healthier alternatives. A hot cocoa or banana ice cream instead of ice cream and cupcakes. It's tough but who knows?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Ahh lord yes!
    And the only thing I can tell is to push through. I try to cheat with healthier alternatives. A hot cocoa or banana ice cream instead of ice cream and cupcakes. It's tough but who knows?

Stop thinking of it as cheating. Those things can fit in a well balanced diet. The sooner you learn that the easier this will be for you mentally.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok scrap that i dont know you. Rather you than me because its completely alien to my own approach which is about consistencey. No idea why your mentality shifts in such a way its a bit like the mood swings of a manic person. Have you been to see your Dr?

Why not just focus and take it one day and one week at a time? Be realistic and work out how to deal with the days you say you cant manage. Perhaps youd be able to manage more than 30 days then? The message should be generally the same until you reach target.
  • melbatoste
    melbatoste Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I don't have the answer, though.
  • redscylla
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. I may see what my employer offers by way of counseling, which they don't call it that but it's what they mean. I feel like it must be something chemical/hormonal, considering the wild swings I experience. Unfortunately, so many docs are dismissive if you're overweight. Mine thinks if I'd just lose the weight I'd feel better. Ya think? :expressionless: