Wedding Center Pieces, Opinions!

Options
cbratthauer
cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
So posted on The Knot about my wedding center pieces, once again a big mistake. I don't know maybe I'm wrong but I think our center pieces sound fun and cute! What does everybody else think about these:
Fiance and I are both HUGE Cubs fans and want to have something unique for our center pieces. So we are having eiffel tower vases with our tangerine/fuschia roses/gerbera daisies in them, then we got build a bears wearing Cubs t-shirts that will have their arms around the vases. We also got blue felt letters/numbers we are putting the names/numbers of retired Cubs players on the backs of the shirts. So when people find their table they will find it by the name of the player instead of just random numbers. We both love the idea and our family/friends all think it sounds cute and original. And my family would definitely tell me if they thought it was a horrible plan. Apparantly, according to those on The Knot, my idea is corny, childish, and not fun at all. People on here seem to have different opinions than there, or at least are nicer about their opinions so please share what you think!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Though I am not a Cubs fan, I do think the idea of finding your table based on a player's name is cute. I'm not really sure where the Eiffel Tower plays into it, but I like the bear idea.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Sounds cute. We had a cowboy and a cowgirl on ours. I think your wedding should reflect your personalities..I had a redneck wedding and we had a blast!
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    Though I am not a Cubs fan, I do think the idea of finding your table based on a player's name is cute. I'm not really sure where the Eiffel Tower plays into it, but I like the bear idea.

Not the Eiffel Tower, but eiffel tower vases, the really tall vases, I didn't know that's what they were called either but that's what our florist calls them lol.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    As long as you're happy with them who cares what everyone else thinks? Especially since you don't even know them:)
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think if you and the fiance like it then that is ALL that matters. This day is about beginning your new life together, start it out pleasing the two of you and let the rest worry about themselves!!!

P.S. Since you did ask for opinions, I think it's adorable and I love a personal touch at a wedding, something that is not so cookie cutterish!!
  • eaber
    eaber Posts: 25
    Options
    It is absolutely cute and way fun!! The bears should be smallish if possible to not overwhelm the other decor but I think its a great idea. We threw a lot of ideas around for our wedding and one that we loved but ended up scrapping in the end was taking like fishbowls and using those inexpensive yellow goldfish and blue floating candles to make interesting center pieces that would alo start conversations since blue and yellow were the colors we used. Also if people are cubs fans or its a kid friendly wedding kids can take the bears home as a nice souvenir from the wedding. I love it!
  • nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what other people think. I think it sounds fun and new. Go with it. It is your day and not theirs. I used the Knot for mine but only for the checklist and the countdown. That's about it.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think it would be neat! Very cute idea!
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Forgot those people on the knot. It's not their wedding, its yours. It's supposed to reflect you and your fiance as a couple. I personally think the idea is adorable! And I say go for it! Make the wedding what you want, and not the same cookie cutter wedding they all imagine over there. Best of luck! =]
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    As long as you're happy with them who cares what everyone else thinks? Especially since you don't even know them:)

I know, and I keep telling myself this. It's kind of hard for me because I live in Iowa and my mom just moved to Alabama, the rest of my family is at least 3 hours away, so I thought going on the wedding boards would be helpful and fun. Instead it isn't, and it's always no fun to hear your ideas being chewed up and spit out by people
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Congrats and happy wedding planning :)

I'm a huge cubbies fan and think your idea is cute. my only thing would be how big are the bears (are they going to take up too much room on the tables?) and what are you doing with all of them after the wedding? If its too bulky you can always just use players names and numbers for the table numbers if you need a space saver.

I used the knot to help plan my wedding a few years ago and found a lot of people on there to be helpful and a lot of others to be very snarky and mean. The best advice I can give you is go with what you and your fiance want and what will make YOU happy. Don't worry about what others think etc beacause its not their wedding its your day and you should be able to decorate any way you want.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I love it! It's very unique and adds a personal touch to the day, instead of the same old same. The day is about you and your hubby to be, not everyone else. I say do it!
  • harmonikki
    harmonikki Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well the way I look at it Its YOUR wedding, and unique to only you...it doesn't matter if even your family didn't like it...cause as long as it's what YOU want then that's whats important...I know when I get married there will be parts of our weddding that some friends or family may not agree with or understand, but a wedding is about 2 people, the bride and the groom...So I say GO FOR IT...and besides...i think it's a cute idea anyways <3
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I loved my wedding eleven years ago and treasure every memory of that day...because I didn't let anyone dictate any detail that was important to me. This day belongs to you and your soon to be husband...pshaw to those people on The Knot. The only perfect centerpiece is the one that pleases the Bride and Groom. :flowerforyou: Best wishes!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love the site OffbeatBride.com. The folks there love originality. And often refer to "the Knot" as "the Not."

It's YOUR wedding. So something that reflects the two of you is perfect.

My motto: The people who matter won't mind (actually... they'll love it) and the people who mind don't matter.
  • anneamaya
    anneamaya Posts: 10
    Options
    I think it's a cute idea as well, very reflective of the two of you and that is what is most important! The names for table numbers is adorable, we are using non-numbers as well! The only thing is... I'm sorry you're a Cubs fan! ;) White Sox Pride! (It's okay, my fiance is also a misguided Cubs fan!) The Knot girls also did not like our centerpiece idea, but you know what? WE love it, and we're doing it. I think you should, too! :)
  • taylorgirl
    taylorgirl Posts: 81
    Options
    Your wedding should reflect the two of you! Anyone who knows you will not have any problem with whatever choices you choose to celebrate your day. Last year I attended a wedding where the couple's first date and meal was breakfast, so at their reception, instead of serving the usual chicken, beef or fish dinner, everyone guest was surprised and elated when a full course breakfast was served! Pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage ... the works! Everyone found it to be so refreshing and simply loved the change and genuine idea! GO FOR IT!:love:
  • anneamaya
    anneamaya Posts: 10
    Options

I'm a huge cubbies fan and think your idea is cute. my only thing would be how big are the bears (are they going to take up too much room on the tables?) and what are you doing with all of them after the wedding? If its too bulky you can always just use players names and numbers for the table numbers if you need a space saver.

I used the knot to help plan my wedding a few years ago and found a lot of people on there to be helpful and a lot of others to be very snarky and mean. The best advice I can give you is go with what you and your fiance want and what will make YOU happy. Don't worry about what others think etc beacause its not their wedding its your day and you should be able to decorate any way you want.

Maybe if you have lots of kids coming, you can give the bears away to the little ones! (It is what we are doing with our centerpieces, actually!!)
  • better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I say do what you want, it's Your Day!

I asked for opinions on similar websites as I was getting ready for our wedding and got negative feedback from what I wanted to do as well. Turns out, I had tons of compliments. Our family and guests thought my idea was fun and unique. (Using black, white and pink feathers instead of any flowers for bouquets and boutonnieres). We also had a grooms cake of a Semi (husband is an over the road truck driver).

Bottom line, everyone is unique and different. Your personalities and character will come out in what you do. And if that's incorporating what you love- The Cubs- then Do It! :smile:
  • cbratthauer
    Options

They aren't the huge bears, just the $10 bears. They will be standing up so won't take up much room at all, and the vases are skinny so they will actually be pretty skinny center pieces, enough room that our florist is putting votives around as well. We are also giving out the bears to people that come to the wedding, and keeping some of them to give to a children's shelter place here in town.