Movie snacks?

Options
I'm headed to the movies this weekend and I need suggestions for low calorie/low fat snacks to sneak in. To me, movie popcorn is just as much a part of the experience as the movie itself, so I'm a little fixated on that and can't seem to think of anything. Suggestions?

Replies

• AndreaWhite611
    AndreaWhite611 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    To me. .. maybe this is sick. ... but no point going to the movies if I'm going to skip the popcorn. I always eat little/healthy the rest of the day and splurge on popcorn. I usually just get a small though I never say no to butter:)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you don't want to splurge and adjust your calories to enjoy movie theatre popcorn, then pop some at home, put it in a giant plastic bag and take that. This is one of the benefits of having a giant mom purse, I have found. If you don't have access to a giant mom purse, I'd do a protein bar, I guess. AMC theaters have a lower calories snack pack now, although the calories in each item add up a bit.
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    I bring oranges (sumo's are my favorite), little bags of angies kettle corn if I really want popcorn (140 calories/bag), celery/carrots/peppers, no salt pretzels, quest bars....
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    If you don't want to splurge and adjust your calories to enjoy movie theatre popcorn, then pop some at home, put it in a giant plastic bag and take that. This is one of the benefits of having a giant mom purse, I have found. If you don't have access to a giant mom purse, I'd do a protein bar, I guess. AMC theaters have a lower calories snack pack now, although the calories in each item add up a bit.

Giant Mom purse FTW.

If that's not an option and you're going to a theater that's in a mall or shopping center, a shopping bag from a shop there works as well.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am not huge on popcorn, so I usually bring my own snacks

Usually anything I can fit into my purse, but my favies are carrots, nuts, boiled eggs, protein bars, granola bars, rice cakes, etc!
    BUT I still of course get nice ol' big glass of wine too!
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Plan for the popcorn and enjoy!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My issue with the popcorn is the price! I just can't bring myself to fork out six or seven bucks for a small bag of popcorn. :noway: The only time I actually get the popcorn is when I earn a freebie or a $2 coupon with my Regal Crown Club card, and then I skip the nasty "butter", which always gives me a tummy ache anyway, and share the bag with my hubby or kid. Usually fits into my goals for the day. #tightwad haha.

Snacks I like to take in - measure out portions of raw almonds and dark chocolate chips into a ziploc (add some raisins too if you like those), a cheese stick, maybe some grapes. Apple slices are nice too, but I hate noisy food in the theater, so can only bite them during louder scenes! :tongue:
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Roasted chick peas! They are crunchy and delicious to snack on! Or pop some of your own air pop popcorn at home that is low in salt and has no butter, and measure out the portion you want and take that in a zip loc bag with you in your pocket or a backpack :)
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just left the movies. I snuck in a bag of cape cod bbq chips. Whole bag was 190 calories. Also brought a bottle of water.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Pop your own air popped popcorn wothsome spray butter and salt! Its a great cheat and waaaay less calories
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    It's interesting ... when I lived in Canada (most of my life) popcorn was an essential part of the movie experience. And the movie experience was quite casual.

I have moved to Australia and recently started going to movies. First time, I dressed quite casually. My husband dressed up ... sports jacket. I thought that was really odd for going to the movies, and he kept asking me if I was sure I wanted to dress so casually. When we got there, I discovered that everyone was dressed up a bit ... I was the most casually dressed person in the place.

I also expected to get a huge bucket of popcorn, but hardly anyone did that. They do have snacks, but if people got anything, it tended to be a glass of wine.

Anyway ... I've discovered that popcorn doesn't need to be part of the movie experience after all. I haven't had moving popcorn in years.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    As a cereal addict, I always have a bag of dry cereal measured out and ready to go! My favorite is Honey Bunches of Oats (1 cup = 160 calories and 80% iron). Enriched cereal can be a great source of added vitamins and minerals to your diet, or whole grain cereal could help you load up on fiber for the day! In addition, cereal just tastes good, is super portable, and something you can mindlessly snack on for a good while without worrying about running out in five minutes or consuming too many calories in one sitting. I'd definitely recommend it, even those kid cereals are getting slightly better for you since they're switching some of them to whole grains, and you can't even taste a difference :)
  • sabowman93
    sabowman93 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't know how easy sneaking a bag of popcorn in the movies would be unless it was in someone's purse, but you can buy 100 calorie bags. No popcorn is ever enough popcorn, but it might settle the craving for it
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just went to the movies today and because of allergy issues with popcorn and other foods I brought food in my mom purse. I had a bag of baby carrots and grape tomatoes. Son #1 had a banana. Son #2 Oreos.
  • lovelylightz
    lovelylightz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chips :)
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It's interesting ... when I lived in Canada (most of my life) popcorn was an essential part of the movie experience. And the movie experience was quite casual.

I have moved to Australia and recently started going to movies. First time, I dressed quite casually. My husband dressed up ... sports jacket. I thought that was really odd for going to the movies, and he kept asking me if I was sure I wanted to dress so casually. When we got there, I discovered that everyone was dressed up a bit ... I was the most casually dressed person in the place.

I also expected to get a huge bucket of popcorn, but hardly anyone did that. They do have snacks, but if people got anything, it tended to be a glass of wine.

Anyway ... I've discovered that popcorn doesn't need to be part of the movie experience after all. I haven't had moving popcorn in years.

I'm really not sure you're actually in Australia :smiley:

"Dressed up" here means you get out of your pjs and perhaps put some shoes on.

And wine? I wish! Most of the people here are scarfing down giant cokes and kebabs. And... wait for it... ENORMOUS buckets of popcorn.

Where on earth are you going to the cinema? The Opera House?
  • MinxyNZ
    MinxyNZ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    About ^

It depends on the cinema, I live across the ditch and New Zealand and you can purchase wine, beer and full on meals at the premier (gold class) type cinemas. I went once on a date, and dressed up a little. It was nice to lounge in their huge armchairs, but I still missed my pjs and the comfort of home hahaha.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You have to sneak it in? We're allowed to bring just about any sort of food to the cinemas! Maybe a small bag of popcorn (I have packs of small bags at 100cals a bag). In the Philippines, popcorn wasn't essential but considred as movie food. But usually, I have hotdogs or dinner meals like rice and chicken. Sometimes buffalo wings, though it's hard to see what I'm eating unless the movie's a bit happy and bright and not setnin dark places hahahha. Am surprised people drink wine in the movies and dress a bit nice! I can wear pj's or anything even more casual and I'd still find someone wearing something similar :))
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sneak in a bag of veggie chips. I just discovered the greatness of oven dried kale and savoy chips. SO DAMN GOOD!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    You have to sneak it in? We're allowed to bring just about any sort of food to the cinemas!

Not in the US. The cinemas make most of their money on the concessions, not on the tickets, so no outside food or drink is allowed.