Sometimes people suck!

Options
I posted this on facebook this morning but I wanted to share it in here too.

To the two men in the red car:
I was in a great mood this morning when our paths crossed. My kids left early for a day trip with my parents and I had enough time to sneak a walk in before work. I was happily walking along when you made the decision to slow down as you passed me and yell "Go Fatty Go!".
Congratulations on being so clever and funny that you felt it was necessary to high five as you drove away.
You ruined my great morning and forced me into spending way too much time remembering all of the other times I have had to deal with some random person thinking that they had the right to comment on my weight. I am annoyed at how much power I gave you.
The truth is I really don't give a *kitten* what you think of me. Sure I am overweight, it is not news to me, I was aware of it before you had the overwhelming need to remind me.
Ridiculing, mocking and publicly shaming someone for their weight is just as unacceptable as doing it because of a person's religion, race or sexual orientation. It is never okay. NEVER.
So the next time you pass me please just keep driving. I am out there tying to improve my health, maybe you should go home and take a long look in your mirror and fix what it is about you that makes you think it is okay to lash out at a perfect stranger.

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    im so sorry. i have had remarks on my weight by strangers as well. what kind of people must they be that to make themselves feel better the make fun of people they don't even know? it can be so disheartening especially when your trying to get healthier! your doing awesome don't let punks bring u down.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    What goes through my mind anytime someone is an A...... must have been unfortunate to have had such crappy upbringing. Who instills values like that? Anyone who respected people at all, would think that doing such a thing is not the right thing to do. If people always did the right thing, our society would have no need for jails, etc. Sorry you had to be a target. No fun, but.....it gives you the opportunity to practice "letting go". Practice and practice!!! Keep up with the walking!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry that happened to you. The only thing I can say is that something has to be bad wrong in their lives for them to have to yell insults at strangers to feel better about themselves. Maybe take a moment to feel thankful that you don't have to live in their (clearly very unhappy) brains?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I really really hate this happened.

Oh dear, you cannot let another person affect you this way and absolutely torment you and your day.

It took years for me but learning to let what people do or say just roll off.. You say you don't care what "they" think... but you do.

Good point about giving this person "your power". Now take it back, next time do it within 1 second they have "p'ssed you off.

And I did not want to sugar coat this experience.. life is way too short to waste your precious time, emotions and having much anxiety and "ruin" your day..
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    wow douche bag! I've heard them all too on top of the crappy word for lesbian. Folks here feel the need to throw that in too? Why ...beats me. Just ignore and move on. Keep thinking about why you started this journey, and it's not for them, it's for you. Ignorant people all over, ready to pick on weight, race, sexuality, I say screw em, not worth you time!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The thing to remember is that when people do mean things like that it's all about THEM, not about you. You are a faceless stranger, someone they will likely never see again. That it makes them happy to belittle people they don't have to face says a lot about them. They probably also say mean things to people in Internet forums. They lead sad, little lives if that's what gives them joy. I feel sorry for them, nothing more.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    You're certainly not the only person those cretins have insulted out their car window. Try and think of what you would say if you saw them say something hurtful to someone else...then take your own advice :)
  • Northernlight03
    Northernlight03 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Some peoples life are so apathetic they feel they have to insult somebody else to make them feel better!!! Please dnt take take any notice of them
  • AussieDragonfly
    AussieDragonfly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    oh always so wise when they are sitting in a car mouthing off, your out there doing something to try to improve your health quite the opposite to them....anyone who has had this happen to them will understand how you feel....they are idiots and even if you dont care what they think it still hurts, pretty human and I totally get what your saying ...keep up the good work of trying to better yourself :)
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Grrrr. Mean people suck. However, if you believe in Karma, and I do, just know that someday they will get the same treatment, but threefold. I've had mean things said to me by coworkers and "friends". It's hurtful and mean. So sorry u had to deal with it.
  • gjz123
    gjz123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had this happen. But kudos to you for being able to be thoughtful and put down some very eloquent words for them. Remember what you wrote: " I am doing this for my health." You will go far my friend. Keep it up!
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    People suck. Like your username says, you can do it, and you are!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You know, you just have to let it go. This is how little boys bond with each other. It really says more about their own emotional level than it says anything about you.

And the other thing I've learned over the years is this: Time wounds all heels. You may not be there to see it, but their behavior will eventually affect them negatively.
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters, keep in mind that you are doing it for your health and keep on trekking on.

That is also one of the reasons that I don't walk as much on the road during busy morning hours or in the evening. It seems that during this time, everyone and their mama is of the opinion that they have the right to comment on my journey or give me unsolicited hurtful advice.

I don't mind the ones that yell out 'atta girl, keep at it, you're doing great' but the ones that yell out 'go on fatty' or 'fatty looking good' or the dreaded 'just my size, you don't need to exercise' they piss me the h#$% off. It's as though I am walking for their entertainment.

I have overcome this by walking earlier in the morning where I usually only see others who are on a healthier lifestyle journey who don't feel the need to comment, only encourage, especially when you are tired and about to quit you get that, 'great going, don't give up yet.'

So remember, the world is full of flies and idiots, but we can choose how we allow them to affect our lives.
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    If you don't care then why write about it or get upset? It's just a pair of idiots mouthing off.

The world is full of tools. That's just the way it is.

That is a good point, I guess I am trying to convince myself that I don't care. It is really easy to get hurt or feel upset when you already have very little self confidence and it is broken like that.
  • sbetts2229
    sbetts2229 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    On the bright side, after that..you are still you...those *kitten**oles have to be themselves for the rest of their lives...You got this..:)
  • Cloudsugar
    Options
    It's hard not to be affected - even when you know these people are pathetic turds and don't deserve the time of day. They're hitting you in your weak spot.
    It sounds like you're already working on not giving people that kind of power. In the meantime, take it easy on yourself. Do something really nice for yourself today, and remind yourself of the things that make you awesome. You get to decide what makes you awesome!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sorry your feelings were hurt, but they arent likely to be reading this or your facebook. What spoony says, you shouldnt let it affect you. Had it been me rather than wish the world was a kinder place, its an incentive to get yourself out of the situation and not go back. Come on you are doing great, move past it and get on with what you need to. They are immaterial.

Ive seen a number of these these people have been mean to me because of my weight threads. Not talking about the OP in particular, but it strikes me that those of us who are here to lose weight, especially those who have a lot to lose( which included me) are in that position not because of some great injustice, but because we ourselves ate too much and didnt move enough for a very long time. Use the energy to do something about it. F them OP and get back to whats important.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    If you don't care then why write about it or get upset? It's just a pair of idiots mouthing off.

The world is full of tools. That's just the way it is.

That is a good point, I guess I am trying to convince myself that I don't care. It is really easy to get hurt or feel upset when you already have very little self confidence and it is broken like that.

That's ok, but whatever happens don't let those fools distract u from your plans.good luck
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Most people suck :p

But seriously, that is a really disheartening thing to have happen. Don't let it get to you. Prove them all wrong, you CAN and WILL do this!!