Going over Goals

Options
2»

Replies

• melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    lburnett66 wrote: »
    I was eating 1200 calories per day and was gaining weight. Si I added more exercise, still the same thing. I went to a nutritionist and had my resting metabolic rate checked (which measures the # of calories your body needs for basic functions). Turns out my RMR is 1700. My body was in starvation mode because I was eating 500 below my RMR. And on days where I ran 6-7 miles? Good lord, it was a full-on revolt. Once I started eating more, the weight gain stopped, and now the weight loss has started.

Just a word of advice - you can do a lot of damage if you assume the "standard" guidelines work for everyone.

Getting my RMR measured answered a lot of questions. I highly recommend it - it's a 10 minute test that any RD or nutritionist should be able to do. Totally worth it.

LOVE THIS! Great share!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    pattywedge wrote: »
    Why is 1200 calories not enough?
    Based on information provided and assuming you are somewhere in the 160s for weight given a goal of 39 more lbs to lose, your basal metabolic rate (the number of calories burned if you lay in bed all day) is around 1450. Most people will not recommend to eat below BMR (although MFP will recommend calorie intake lower than BMR if you select 2 lbs loss/week). I think what I saw was if you have less than 75 lbs to lose, you should set for target loss of 1 lb/week. Congrats on the loss so far, but pay attention to how you feel and how your body is responding. If you're hungry a lot, tired more often/need more caffeine, your walks aren't getting easier/faster with repetition, you may want to think about increasing calories to fully fuel your body.

Agreed with what others have said about macros. I quit paying attention to sugar because it was mostly fruit, which I know isn't a bad thing. I get really excited when I go over on protein, but try to stay under on my carbs most of the time (seems to work better for me to cycle a bit with carbs; may or may not be true for others). Good luck with your continued journey to a healthier you.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories per day and was gaining weight. Si I added more exercise, still the same thing. I went to a nutritionist and had my resting metabolic rate checked (which measures the # of calories your body needs for basic functions). Turns out my RMR is 1700. My body was in starvation mode because I was eating 500 below my RMR. And on days where I ran 6-7 miles? Good lord, it was a full-on revolt. Once I started eating more, the weight gain stopped, and now the weight loss has started.

Just a word of advice - you can do a lot of damage if you assume the "standard" guidelines work for everyone.

Getting my RMR measured answered a lot of questions. I highly recommend it - it's a 10 minute test that any RD or nutritionist should be able to do. Totally worth it.

No. There is no such thing as starvation mode.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    brisingr86 wrote: »
    pattywedge wrote: »
    Why is 1200 calories not enough?
    Based on information provided and assuming you are somewhere in the 160s for weight given a goal of 39 more lbs to lose, your basal metabolic rate (the number of calories burned if you lay in bed all day) is around 1450. Most people will not recommend to eat below BMR (although MFP will recommend calorie intake lower than BMR if you select 2 lbs loss/week). I think what I saw was if you have less than 75 lbs to lose, you should set for target loss of 1 lb/week. Congrats on the loss so far, but pay attention to how you feel and how your body is responding. If you're hungry a lot, tired more often/need more caffeine, your walks aren't getting easier/faster with repetition, you may want to think about increasing calories to fully fuel your body.

Agreed with what others have said about macros. I quit paying attention to sugar because it was mostly fruit, which I know isn't a bad thing. I get really excited when I go over on protein, but try to stay under on my carbs most of the time (seems to work better for me to cycle a bit with carbs; may or may not be true for others). Good luck with your continued journey to a healthier you.

It's fine to eat below your BMR.

• melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

YOU ARE SO WRONG IT HURTS!!!!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    A goal is meant to be met and (sometimes) exceeded. Going over your goal a smidge is not going to hurt you at all. It's all about perspective.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options

No, I'm really not.

I'll edit to explain. You need so many calories to function. That's your BMR. If you don't consume them, your body gets them from somewhere else. If you have fat stores...

Yes, it could also use muscle tissue. That's where exercise comes in.

It's the same as the calories used for daily calories burned up for the functional difference between BMR and TDEE. If you're not eating them, your body finds a way to burn them.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

If undereating makes you gain weight, please explain how anorexics die.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

No, I'm really not.

I'll edit to explain. You need so many calories to function. That's your BMR. If you don't consume them, your body gets them from somewhere else. If you have fat stores...

It's the same as the calories used for daily calories burned up for the functional difference between BMR and TDEE. If you're not eating them, your body finds a way to burn them.

There is another figure based on your TDEE-your Maximum Fat Metabolism per day. For many, that's considered the minimum that you shouldn't go under. Mine just happens to be roughly equal to my BMR, so I wouldn't go below BMR for me. But, for people with a lower bodyfat %, there is more of a difference between the numbers.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

No, I'm really not.

There is another figure based on your TDEE-your Maximum Fat Metabolism per day. For many, that's considered the minimum that you shouldn't go under. Mine just happens to be roughly equal to my BMR, so I wouldn't go below BMR for me. But, for people with a lower bodyfat %, there is more of a difference between the numbers.

Yeah, you need to have a bit of body fat to get away with it, true.

But it's not a hard and fast rule like some people think it is.

• pattywedge
    pattywedge Posts: 39 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay I have changed my goal to 1 pound a week, I will see how I do on that. Thank you for all the input it has been very helpful.