Small Apartment/Tight budget/Downstairs neighbors

Options
I have a big goal ahead of me and am serious about doing this program. We are workin really hard at our diet but the problem im having is we live in a really small apartment on the third floor. I dont have a gym membership but I want to burn some serious calories! In order to burn a lot of calories I have to basically work out from sunup to sundown. Any suggestions about what i might be able to do to boost my burned calories?

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    circuit training. The 30 day shred is good for that.I basically live in the same conditions as you adn I find this video has pretty minimal jumping on the floorboards.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    somewhat of the same issue... i started running... i do a booty workout, arm workout, squat workout... a lot of thing si can do outside too running is my absolute fave though
  • christalle7118
    Options
    walking/running, sprinting outside
    also lunges, squats etc all can be done outside:)
  • cclair1974
    cclair1974 Posts: 16
    Options
    do the stairs...just for fun. put on your earplugs, listen to music and go up and down!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym to get fit and be active..nor do you need DVD's or the latest fads.

Get outside to a park and get moving: Walk laps around a school yard, work in some interval jogging if you want.

find a playground and do pull ups on the monkey bars, pushups on the grass, lunge walking for 40 yards, step ups on a park bench or picnic table...climb stairs, walk instead of drive, get a bike, rollerblade...

The possibilities are limited only by your imagination
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live but there are some of us who host free, yes I said free "fit clubs" in cities all across the US. I'd be happy to try and help you find one, if you'd like. Send me a friend request if you want.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You could always run up and down your stairs... you said you are on the 3rd floor... that could be a great workout!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    There are tons of fun ways to keep up with your training even with all those “conditions” I actually, like a lot of them more because the variety keeps you motivated (well, keeps me). Take your training outside for cardio if you would like to be considerate of downstairs neighbors. Try mini goals of going from walk to jog to run. Do sprints to help with speed then long walks to help with endurance. Take the stairs instead elevators or better yet run the stairs! Have small weights for at home strength training. SELF has tons for exercises and you can create your own routine. Or, if you are stateside, someone shared with me recently that the OnDemand on cable has workout videos you can watch. I SO did not know that, and it is great, because I never know what I’m getting.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I do circuit training as well.. i do jumping jacks and other jumping on a few towels stacked on top of each other since i'm in the same situation, and do push ups, crunches in all different forms, lunges, and arm curls and other exercises all in one spot. Before i bought my 3pound dumbells i used filled water bottles.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options

find a playground and do pull ups on the monkey bars, pushups on the grass,

I like adding to my list! thanks!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Running - look in to the Couch to 5k Program. I did and I am pretty sure I will be a lifelong runner now (and I couldn't even jog for 30 seconds at a time when I started.

Stairs - walk up and down the three flights of stairs in your building. When you can do them a few times a day, add hand weights.

Push-Ups and Situps - your neighbors won't hear your grunting :wink:

I refuse to join a gym - as soon as I pay for something, I don't use it. These three will get you a LONG WAY toward your goal and are free!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    The stairs have been my saviour. I havent taken an elevator in weeks, even if its many flights of stairs.

Here's an article on some stair exercises you can do:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/stair-workouts
  • NavyWifeag
    NavyWifeag Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hit the local park and jog the trails or hike. Hit the local school and run the stairs at the track and sprint the straights and walk to curves. I did this all the time before I had a husband away with the Navy and two kids who needed to be watched. Now I need the gym daycare! I do love Jillian Michael's tapes but you do bounce around a lot and may annoy the neighbors. I woke up my daughter shaking the house to Blast Fat Boost Metabolism and I was downstairs and she was upstairs! I guess I jump really loudly! You can talk to your neighbors, tell then your dilemma and set up a time where you can workout to a tape and not annoy them. Most people can be accommodating if you ask.
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    Walk walk walk! Walk everywhere. It'll save you on transit/gas too! It burns a lot of calories, and the weather is getting nicer :)
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I really love my kettlebells - the workouts are very low impact and yet burn an amazing amount of calories!

I have a set by Kathy Smith that came with a dvd (cost about $30) but I will also do some routines that I find on youtube.

I have also gone through the JM 30 day shred and a few other dvd's.

Hope you find something that works for you!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Im not sure why you say you have to work out from sun up to sun down; you want to burn calories to be fit and active; not the overwhelm yourself... You want something you can live with for the rest of your life; not exaust yourself. Use the stairs at your apartment as a major benefit, walk to places instead of drive (maybe u already do?)--when i lived in town I could walk to just about anywhere, the grocery store to get a gallon of milk, the movie theatre to watch a movie, to work & back home, to friends houses, etc... as a matter of fact, the last time i lost weight was accidentally--i didnt diet at all--in fact was drinking alcohol tons & processed foods, but i lost probably near 50pounds by increasing activity by living in town and in a house with alot of stairs. So seeing as you live in a place with stairs--use them! You could even purposly leave things in your car so you have to go get them later, etc..

You also dont want to burn so many calories you have trouble eating those calories back--I know days where I burn 1000 calories, Ill be damned if I could then eat 2660 calories instead of my normal 1660. and even have trouble on those days getting my calories out of starvation mode territory--where i have to eat back a minimum of 600 extra calories instead of all 1000.

Also, considering you have neighbors downstairs, you dont want too intense workouts--id suggest jogging in place if it werent for that, burns alot more calories than walking, and i also live in the country and dont have roads i can walk on or stores i can walk to, etc so i tend to jog in place on days where im not terribly active. Id suggest doing sit ups, lunges, squats, boxing type stuff (ducking/punching/etc), dancing in place to music with limited leg movement (due to neighbors), using resistance bands, and weights where possible. If you cant afford weights, you can use milk jugs filled with water--or even sand from a beach if u wanted, or canned foods, etc.
  • charwell
    charwell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    the DREADED STAIRS~
  • eaber
    eaber Posts: 25
    Options
    You guys are giving such great advice and a lot of them i already do either by accident or purposfully. I do C2 5k which is really kicking my butt but i just started so hopefully i will be able to master them soon. Although I have changed it a little, i refuse to move past week one until i can do it all the way so it may take a little longer than 9 weeks. Also we dont have an elevator so i go up and down the stairs all day but maybe i could make a 10 minute workout of going up and down? I walk at our park usually once or twice a day, we have a great track. and our car just got totaled so we decided to just eliminate that bill and the ease of driving in favor of saving the money and walking. i lost 4 lbs my first week but then i had one bad day and im back exactly where i started. does that mean it was all water weight or something? its discouraging. i think i will start a exercise routine with a jillian michaels dvd, the first level of shred is ondemand....i also do yoga every morning to start my day.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much in the same situation as you; small apartment, no nearby gym, BUT luckily an apartment gym, just teeny, a grouchy 1st floor neighbor, ect ect.

I was at a loss till I discovered ome workouts that don't make me bounce up and down and creak the roof of said grouchy neighbor, such as Zumba and Just Dance 2 for my wii. I burn a crazy amount of cals (prolly cause I'm huge) but nonetheless, I REALLY get to sweating just doing those 2 things. When I get tired of those, I ULTRA doggy paddle in our pool in the evening hours. :) Gotta say, I have been making it work, my clothes are getting looser!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Go outside! Sounds like you are doing a lot to up the activity, keep up the good work!