What to do when you can't bring yourself to go to the gym and you aren't a runner?

Options

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I seriously love my gym but have friends that are big fans of fitnessblender and neila rey workouts. Lots of different types on those sites.
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    Options
    I'll look into those apps! Thanks.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    intervals with burpees
    That is *so* much worse than running! Sadist!

Putting mine in with those recommending FitnessBlender and NerdFitness. They're both awesome!

Here's a 3rd vote for Fitness Blender!
  • climbbunny
    climbbunny Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hiking is awesome for the legs but I always have the temptation to eat snacks! I recommend climbing, there is always variety for doing different routes and I love the challenge. You really work out various parts of your body.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    How about soccer? I'm 56 and rollerblade-okay I also use my cross country skate poles-and I wear a helmet-but no bad falls or wipeouts. I also bike. How about paddling? a canoe a kayak a standup SUP board? or rowing? or skipping?
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Definitely youtube videos. You can find them for all levels, time frames, intensities, etc. I love them for days that I don't feel like getting to the gym. And I can't make excuses about not having enough time because there are good 10 minutes ones and hour long ones and everything in between. Also, the usual, hiking, biking, etc. I also love climbing (at a gym or preferably outside) and canoeing when I have the resources and time to do that!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    intervals with burpees
    That is *so* much worse than running! Sadist!

Putting mine in with those recommending FitnessBlender and NerdFitness. They're both awesome!

Lol!
    Doesn't everyone hate burpees?!

And + 1 for Fitness Blender
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    What about tennis? badminton? Basketball?
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Like others have mention bike riding outside. Walking a mile or two on your lunch hour. I just walked 1.85 miles in 30 min on my lunch hour inside and boy does it make a difference with the rest of my work day. It gives me energy and nice to get out of the office too and enjoy that 75 degree weather we are having.
    Today is supposed to be my gym day but it is so nice out, I think I will head home after work and bike ride outside instead and do the gym workout Thurs and Fri this week when it is supposed be rainy outside.
    Fitness dvds are good too. Youtube free videos are great too. I get bored easy too. I can only be on a cardio machine at the gym for 30 min max. My go to is the elliptical machine since it burns the most calories for me in a 30 min period.
    Good luck and have fun!
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym but I don't use it very often because I prefer DVD workouts like Jillian Michaels or the Beachbody series. I find them a lot more motivating and it gives me a progressively difficult program to follow. I also take my dog for walks a few times a week and when I want a change I head into the gym and use the machines, stops me getting bored.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Do you have a large hill nearby? I live near one and every day there are a ton of us out there walking up and down the hill. It's a great workout.

I don't go to the gym and I hate running. So I go for walks each day and other than that I do workout videos or dumbbells at home. I hate doing the same routine over and over so I use pinterest to find different workouts and try a new one each time.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty avid hiker. In fact, I use the gym to train for hikes (lots of incline treadmill). I also sea kayak. I have some dumbbells at home for weight training, but I am getting where I need higher weights than what I have.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and don't currently belong to a gym. I like to mix it up with at home workouts, so I do YouTube videos, yoga, strength circuit training. Now that the weather is getting warmer I'll pump up the tires and go for a bike ride. Whenever nothing much strikes my fancy I'll put on the hits radio station and dance like nobody's watching! B)
  • sminker81
    Options
    I've had a lot of luck with the 21 Day Fix videos and after doing it twice I started doing Insanity Max 30. On week 2 now. Don't do their diet program or shakes. Those are a waste of time/money. But their workouts are great. I burn 400+ calories per Insanity workout according to my Polar 400 with HRM strap. I burned about 250-325 doing the 21 Day Fix. Will be doing P90X3 after Max30 is done. Find a friend that has it or look on something like Craigslist or Facebook to get them on the cheap. I found mine online for cheap.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Another vote for fitness blender! I work out during my kids' naptime so I can't leave the house. I've seen amazing results from fitness blender!
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I skip rope. I use my fitbit HR monitor to (more) accurately track calorie burn because it varies a lot. How fast you skip, how long, any rest periods, etc.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Yet another one for FitnessBlender - I think the instructions are very clear.

I've got my eye on some outdoor stairs I might have a go at tomorrow if the weather's nice.
  • liteskindsista
    liteskindsista Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone , download Sworkit. You can work out at home with high intensity (or modify as suits you). I do this when I'm traveling to a place without a gym in the hotel and /or if my own gym is not close. .....or, like you , I'm just over the gym for the moment and need a break from the gym. I paddle board , too , which can be a great workout and really fun. :smiley:
  • Ronster1505
    Ronster1505 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the 7 app. Its HIIT seven minutes, can do twice a day.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I have this really neat free app it's available for iPhone and android and it's called the 7 minute workout. Really easy calisthenics (just using your own body weight type stuff) and when I first started working out I just used to do two rounds (14 minutes total) as just something to get me started and get me going.