Bike question, for cycling experts .

Options
What is a good entry level bike to get into? I'm planning on joining my local cycle club. Thanks for the advice.

Replies

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm told a lot of cycling clubs won't let you join thier group rides on a hybrid.

Is check with the club. If that is the case, you'll need a road bike.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your local club does.
    I've joined my father with his bike club-and the guys wear knee socks and shorts with belts-and any kind of bike is fine-they ride 30-55k. a time. Other clubs require road bikes

-For my road bike I went to my local bike shop and bought what fitted my body and my budget-and then added a women's specific seat. Did the same for my mountain bike. I also have a bike with no suspension that is great for errands in town (it doesn't scream "steal me") It's 20 years old and is great.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    one that is properly fit to you. go to at least 2 bike shops and talk to them about what sort of cycling you want to do. Spend some time in the shop just getting acquainted with the staff and their offerings. After you have been to a few shops pick the shop you like best and let them work with on what bike fits your body, desired riding style and budget.

Your relationship with the shop is almost as important as the bike. They will be the ones who fit the bike to you, service the bike and educate you on all things bike.

Also don't be afraid to go ride with a few clubs to find the one that suits you best. I ride with 3 different clubs as each one has different agendas.

Oh Ya, expect to pay $100 or so on a basic bike fitting and make sure that includes some readjustments after you have ridden it. As with the actual bike, fittings get more expensive the more involved they are but a basic one should be fine to get you going. The Worse thing you can do is buy a bike without being fitted you will suffer and stop ridding.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Go to your local bike shop and talk to the staff. They will ask you a whole bunch of questions about your planned bike usage and what you are willing to pay and then recommend 2-4 bikes to consider. The will adjust them to your height etc and usually let you test them out so you can make a good choice.

Also it is very likely that they will know what requirements, if any, that your local cycling club have.
  • Jessicabybike
    Jessicabybike Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would hope that the local bicycling club is open to all riders because bicycling needs to be an inclusive community suitable for all the types of people who ride bicycles. Most I know are.

A hybrid is an option. That style seats you more upright and less aggressive than a road bike. If you're wanting to ride your bicycle also for transportation & errands, etc. something like a hybrid or a cross bike could work for you (bc you might want panniers to haul stuff). Please budget a minimum $300-500 for a new entry level bike.

I also suggest your local bike SHOP (LBS) for a fitting to gauge what size & style bike you need. You might find good used deals too at the LBS or check Craigslist or cycle swaps on FB. Whatever you do, though, find yourself a good LBS and if they aren't answering your questions comfortably, try a new LBS.
  • mjfred2
    mjfred2 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you all for your info, much appreciated..