Nachos!

Options
I could really go for a big plate of cheesy, greasy, melt-in-your-mouth nachos right now. But of course, I won't do that because that would probably take up my calories for the next week! lol Anyone have a low-cal/low-fat nacho recipe?

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    The nacho topppings are not so bad if you stick to diced tomatoes, fat free refried beans, lean ground turkey or beef, shredded lettuce, fat free sour cream, low fat cheese. It's the stupid chips that are so bad! Wish I knew a low cal substitute for the nacho chips. :grumble:
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    Make a small portion and have it with a nice big salad. It might be more than a regular meal, but it'll be significantly less than a normal sized plate of nachos..
  • xxStrawberryxDeathxx
    Options
    Don't forget jalopenos!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The nacho topppings are not so bad if you stick to diced tomatoes, fat free refried beans, lean ground turkey or beef, shredded lettuce, fat free sour cream, low fat cheese. It's the stupid chips that are so bad! Wish I knew a low cal substitute for the nacho chips. :grumble:

baked tostitos? Or you can make your own baked tortilla chips with corn tortillas and extra virgin olive oil.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    1 bag of tortilla chips
    2 bags of shredded cheddar cheese
    1 pound ground beef
    1 tomato
    1 can olives
    1 cup of sour cream
    1 jar of salsa

Now, throw everything away except for the tomato.
  • xxStrawberryxDeathxx
    Options
    Crackers maybe? To replace the chips. Or baked chips?
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I agree! It's the chips that are horrible! But I make homemade nachos all the time. Just eat a small plate. It's not so bad at all!
  • Christiane81
    Options
    We make our own chips by using torn pieces of whole wheat pita pockets. We just place them on a cookie sheet, spray with olive oil cooking spray and then cover with chili and garlic powder. Cook at high heat (around 400 or so) and watch them until they are crispy....they are so very good and they do cut the fat and cals quite a bit...GOOD LUCK!
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Eat a big o' plate on your cheat day:)
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    I make them with reduced fat trisquits. they are great that way!!
  • goddessofmath
    goddessofmath Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I *love* the Baked Tostitos Scoops! I made up my own dip of fat free refried beans (look out for the sodium though!), 2% cheese, light sour cream, and salsa. Put that warm on top of the Tostitos with PLENTY of shredded lettuce, and it's sooooo yummy! :) Not quite nachos as much as a taco salad, but it's a standby of mine. Doesn't taste low calorie at all!
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Man, now I really want nachos. I'm glad that there are some nice alternatives out there :-)
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    I use a light original flatout to make chips out of. Just spray with a little cooking spray and bake for a few minutes.
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    Options
    I make my own baked chips with corn tortillas and light salt. No oil. I eat them with salsa, but I'm sure you can come up with a low cal cheese dip or even just a couple tbps salsa stirred into no fat cream cheese. 2 tortillas(a smart portion) is 130 cals. The salsa is fairly low cal. as well.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I miss Nacho's more than any other food. I still buy baked chips and just keep the serving small. One of these days I'm gonna snap and eat a platter of the yummy stuff, but today I'm going to eat my watermellon.:sad:
  • Tvstarbabe
    Tvstarbabe Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks everyone for these healthy alternatives!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I work at a mexican restaurant, so, the chips are the hardest thing to stay away from. Here's my alternative...

Take a single layer of whole corn tortillas (the ones we use are just stone ground corn, salt and water) put them on a microwave proof plate and pop them in the microwave and cook on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Flip them over and do it again. They may need one more flip and one more minute depending on your microwave. They come out crispy and delicious with no oil at all!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you'll know what I'm trying to say here, but ya know the nachos at Chili's? They give you individual chips with toppings on each chip. Therefore, make your own extra large chips w/ corn tortillas and load the heck out of it w/ tasty toppings. Use refried black beans (calorific, but oh so good for you), just a little cheese, lots of home made pico/salsa, etc.

If you have 4-5 chips w/ loaded toppings, then it will hopefully satisfy you. Tell you what... I'm starting to make recipes for all of the dinners I create. I'll try this sometime this week and advertise all of the nutrients. Add me if you'd like (just put in the message "nacho girl" so I know who to send the recipe to)... And don't worry... I'm a nacho boy.