dairy important?

Options
Nertak
Nertak Posts: 34 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I used to eat a fair amount of cheese. Now that I am trying to lose weight I have stopped eating cheese. It has just occurred to me that unless I'm getting it from a source I'm not aware of I'm not really getting any dairy at all anymore. Is this bad? If so what are some good sources of dairy for someone trying to lose weight?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I. Don't eat anything dairy besides yogurt and eggs
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Eggs aren't dairy.

Why is yogurt the only dairy someone should eat?

Or are you just sharing your personal routine?
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    A life without cheese or death.

I choose death.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Eggs aren't dairy.

Are you telling me that eggs don't come from dairy cows?

Next thing you know they'll be trying to convince us that chocolate milk doesn't come from brown cows.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    A life without cheese or death.

I choose death.

I second that. A day I dont eat some kind of cheese is a bad day.

• NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I hardly eat any dairy at all. It's inflammatory and cheese is so high in calories. It's really difficult me to make any head way with my caloric deficit if I include dairy in my diet, so I just did away with it altogether. And it kind of took some getting used to at first, but now I don't even crave it. It's likes anything else, you get used to it.
  • molaufy
    molaufy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    More than half of people have mild dairy allergies. I went off of dairy and now when I eat it I feel arthritic and sick.

There's no nutrition in dairy that you can't get elsewhere.

It's tough to give up, but can really pay out. And this is coming from a woman from WI who has ha their share of fine cheeses... My mother was the queen of expensive olive and cheese spreads when entertaining.
  • my1stfitnesspal
    Options
    Nertak,

One reason dairy is important is for calcium. Calcium is essential for your bones. You can enjoy cheese in moderation and still meet your weight loss goals by watching your calories and fat.

There are other sources of calcium including dairy and other foods as well. Aim to get your calcium from the foods you eat, but if needed you can take a supplement for any shortfall from your diet.

If talking a supplement its best with D3, Kirkland (Costco) has one that gives you 60% RDA.

Calcium inhibits the absorbtion of iron from non-meat sources, so keep this in mind. Part of what this means is if you're consuming a food high in non-meat iron don't take your calcium supplement at the same time, or consume other foods high in calcium at the same time.

Here's a link that may help you;
    www.nof.org/calcium

You can also google info regarding the above as to when and how to best take a calcium suppement if you decide to do so.

Hope this helps.
  • my1stfitnesspal
    Options
    Here are 10 sources of calcium just in case you need it;
    1. Cheese
    2. Yogurt
    3. Milk
    4. Sardines 1/3 c, 30% rda, 16% protein rda
    5. Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips, and collard greens
    6. Fortified cereals such as Total, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes (They have a lot of calcium in one serving.)
    7. Fortified orange juice
    8. Soybeans
    9. Fortified soymilk (Not all soymilk is a good source of calcium, so it's best to check the label.)
    10. Enriched breads, grains, and waffles
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think they try to put as much calcium in soy milk as regular dairy milk, so if you like soy you can get it that way.
  • janpawlacz
    janpawlacz Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Try this - it's really tasty (about 300-350 kcal in 250g)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a2spgN4mAU
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make a soup with chicken or other bones -- they add lots of calcium.

Sardines -- esp with bones.
    Dark greens -- spinach, kale, turnip greens, mustard green, collard greens, bok choy.
    Also okra, navy and soy beans, broccoli, almonds.
    Black strap molasses.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Nertak,

One reason dairy is important is for calcium. Calcium is essential for your bones. You can enjoy cheese in moderation and still meet your weight loss goals by watching your calories and fat.

There are other sources of calcium including dairy and other foods as well. Aim to get your calcium from the foods you eat, but if needed you can take a supplement for any shortfall from your diet.

If talking a supplement its best with D3, Kirkland (Costco) has one that gives you 60% RDA.

Calcium inhibits the absorbtion of iron from non-meat sources, so keep this in mind. Part of what this means is if you're consuming a food high in non-meat iron don't take your calcium supplement at the same time, or consume other foods high in calcium at the same time.

Here's a link that may help you;
    www.nof.org/calcium

You can also google info regarding the above as to when and how to best take a calcium suppement if you decide to do so.

Hope this helps.

Actually it's a bit of a myth thrown forward by the dairy industry. Dairy isn't really the best source of calcium. It's pretty easy to get plenty of calcium eating green veggies etc. You really shouldn't need a supplement if you aim for a balanced diet. Just Google non dairy source of calcium and you'll find an extensive list. I've not eaten dairy in nearly 20 years and am normally far above RDAs
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I frequently exceed my calcium with greens alone. But I eat cheese every day. If it's worth it to you, work it in.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Eggs aren't dairy.

Are you telling me that eggs don't come from dairy cows?

Everyone knows eggs come from bunnies. Isn't that dairy?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    leahraskie wrote: »
    I think they try to put as much calcium in soy milk as regular dairy milk, so if you like soy you can get it that way.

And if you don't care for soy milk, you can try almond, coconut, cashew, oat, hemp, rice, or hazelnut milk - - the majority of the brands that make those milks fortify them with calcium too.