Elliptical vs. Treadmill?

Options
Hi, so I decided to stop lying to myself... I will never go routinely to a gym and be dedicated to going as much as I need to...and to be honest I really don't feel comfortable going to a gym. I have no idea how to use most of the equipment in there. I would just feel silly trying to figure it out in front of everyone. :\ I feel I would workout more and be more dedicated to it if I had some equipment in my own home to use on my own time. So I would like to purchase either a elliptical or a treadmill... My question is which one do you think would be best?

Replies

• lauraofarrell123
    Options
    The treadmill gives more options for workouts...gradient, pace, cardiovascular, hiit etc....but the crosstrainer is an all over workout with less impact on joints. You shouldn't feel silly asking an instructor to show you correct use of equipment in gym though....knowing how to use machines and equipment correctly is much more safe! Happy working out!!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical because it is easier on my knees than a treadmill. But, now that I am losing weight and wanting to start running I go to the gym to use a treadmill and their rower.

Are you looking to start running? If so, you may want a treadmill. Both pieces of equipment should let you adjust the incline to target different muscles.

If you feel uncomfortable with how to use the equipment at a gym, check youtube videos that show you how to use the equipment. I know people that do this and practice the moves at home without weights to feel comfortable before they go to the gym to do the moves. They also started going to the gym during sloooooow times to be one of just a few people there to try the moves out. This may be another option for you.
  • SarenaWM
    SarenaWM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Treadmill! As Jillian Michaels has said,

"I recommend that everyone have one piece of cardio equipment. I think incline trainers are the best because you can run, walk, or incline train on them. So even people with injuries can still get a great workout. I also like people to have a set of adjustable dumbbells."

However, it's also important to take account which one you enjoy using more. If you hate working out on a treadmill, it will be harder to bring yourself to use it every day. Whichever machine you feel you will realistically be able to establish a regular routine with, that's the one you should go for.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Neither, I'd run outside. You don't need to buy a dust collector.
  • etatlu
    etatlu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife and I purchased a recumbent stationary Bike a year ago. It's been very helpful. I also have a membership at Golds gym which I always mean to use but I tend to avoid the gym. At any rate if I do a half hour and burn 350 calories on a daily basis, it keeps me below my 2040 caloric intake level and I also can do some light strength training while on the bike. Good luck! I've lost 12.5 pounds since my 70 day fitness pal regimen began December 26th 2014.
  • dumbass2009
    dumbass2009 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, so I decided to stop lying to myself... I will never go routinely to a gym and be dedicated to going as much as I need to...and to be honest I really don't feel comfortable going to a gym. I have no idea how to use most of the equipment in there. I would just feel silly trying to figure it out in front of everyone. :\ I feel I would workout more and be more dedicated to it if I had some equipment in my own home to use on my own time. So I would like to purchase either a elliptical or a treadmill... My question is which one do you think would be best?

• dumbass2009
    Options

• dumbass2009
    Options
    I tried to post a reply and posted a Quote in stead lol well it was a very good quote lol
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    The treadmill gives more options for workouts...gradient, pace, cardiovascular, hiit etc....but the crosstrainer is an all over workout with less impact on joints. You shouldn't feel silly asking an instructor to show you correct use of equipment in gym though....knowing how to use machines and equipment correctly is much more safe! Happy working out!!

This.

or this.
    Neither, I'd run outside. You don't need to buy a dust collector.

• helispot
    helispot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nothing specific, but a great quote for this, I think, would be:
    "The best exercise is the one that you'll do." If you'll consistently do one over the other, that's the best one. For me, this is definitely true for this particular question. I'm cool on the treadmill, but hate the elliptical. Guess which one I use most? :) Best of luck to you.
  • kingw363
    kingw363 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you are heavy then the elliptical will help as it is low impact, otherwise use the treadmill.
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am an introvert and have gone to a gym before - but never felt comfortable. I have a great elliptical machine at home now - which collected dust and was used as a coat hanger intermittently for a few years. However, in the last couple of months (winter) I have come to like my elliptical machine - no more dust or coats, now it's helping me reach my goal! Once it gets warmer outside, I will probably use it a little less until fall.
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    and home gym for weight training.
  • ashleylynn520
    ashleylynn520 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies, tips, and helpful info! :) I appreciate it so much!
  • ashleylynn520
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    I have an elliptical because it is easier on my knees than a treadmill. But, now that I am losing weight and wanting to start running I go to the gym to use a treadmill and their rower.

Are you looking to start running? If so, you may want a treadmill. Both pieces of equipment should let you adjust the incline to target different muscles.

If you feel uncomfortable with how to use the equipment at a gym, check youtube videos that show you how to use the equipment. I know people that do this and practice the moves at home without weights to feel comfortable before they go to the gym to do the moves. They also started going to the gym during sloooooow times to be one of just a few people there to try the moves out. This may be another option for you.

Good idea the youtube videos :)
  • ashleylynn520
    Options
    SarenaWM wrote: »
    Treadmill! As Jillian Michaels has said,

"I recommend that everyone have one piece of cardio equipment. I think incline trainers are the best because you can run, walk, or incline train on them. So even people with injuries can still get a great workout. I also like people to have a set of adjustable dumbbells."

However, it's also important to take account which one you enjoy using more. If you hate working out on a treadmill, it will be harder to bring yourself to use it every day. Whichever machine you feel you will realistically be able to establish a regular routine with, that's the one you should go for.

True :) if you don't enjoy it...you won't do it!
  • ashleylynn520
    Options
    etatlu wrote: »
    My wife and I purchased a recumbent stationary Bike a year ago. It's been very helpful. I also have a membership at Golds gym which I always mean to use but I tend to avoid the gym. At any rate if I do a half hour and burn 350 calories on a daily basis, it keeps me below my 2040 caloric intake level and I also can do some light strength training while on the bike. Good luck! I've lost 12.5 pounds since my 70 day fitness pal regimen began December 26th 2014.

Yes, I'm guilty of spending the money for a gym membership and yet NEVER going...I figured I would workout more if I owned some equipment. Do it while I watch tv or what not!
  • ashleylynn520
    Options
    I tried to post a reply and posted a Quote in stead lol well it was a very good quote lol

Haha thanks for trying lol!!! :)
  • ashleylynn520
    Options
    helispot wrote: »
    Nothing specific, but a great quote for this, I think, would be:
    "The best exercise is the one that you'll do." If you'll consistently do one over the other, that's the best one. For me, this is definitely true for this particular question. I'm cool on the treadmill, but hate the elliptical. Guess which one I use most? :) Best of luck to you.

Exactly, I'm trying to be realistic with myself... lol!

• ashleylynn520
    Options
    hezemakiah wrote: »
    I am an introvert and have gone to a gym before - but never felt comfortable. I have a great elliptical machine at home now - which collected dust and was used as a coat hanger intermittently for a few years. However, in the last couple of months (winter) I have come to like my elliptical machine - no more dust or coats, now it's helping me reach my goal! Once it gets warmer outside, I will probably use it a little less until fall.

Yeah, I would just go run outside & save some money but it gets so cold where I live now... I'm afraid I won't stick it as soon as its cold outside.. :/