too much soy?

Options
how much soy is too much? i don't eat dairy & i've recently started using soymilk (allergic to almonds/coconut :neutral: ) again daily, along with soy sauce. but i know too much of one thing can be a bad thing.. (unless it's money lol) anyway i only use like 1/2 cup or 1 cup of soymilk a day and like a tbsp of soy sauce or whatever at night. that's not that bad right? just /every/ day i didnt know if it'd be a problem cus sometimes i have soy ice cream as well on some days.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is not much soy. If you feel good, eat it. <3
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    No such thing. Don't worry, :)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    The worry about soy is greatly exaggerated, so unless you're having any allergy symptoms don't worry about it.
    I eat a lot of soy (A LOT) and have done for the long term, and nothing terrible has happened to me yet!
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is not much...I usually go through a litre of soy milk every two days and I eat tofu almost every day (one portion is half a pound). I love my soy! Oh...roasted soy beans are also great for snacking!
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    oh i forgot to add that i eat tofu as well sometimes! alright i won't really worry. no allergies thus far, let's hope it continues to stay that way :smile:

i just get a little paranoid about all those silly articles saying stuff about estrogen in soy (?) and leading to breast cancer, cus cancer runs in my family! eek! but it's just me being paranoid i guess.
  • squishprincess
    Options
    likehlikeo wrote: »
    This is not much...I usually go through a litre of soy milk every two days and I eat tofu almost every day (one portion is half a pound). I love my soy! Oh...roasted soy beans are also great for snacking!

ive never tried roasted soy beans but i think i will have to soon!!
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    They say Japanese people are healthy because they eat a lot of soy!
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    oh i forgot to add that i eat tofu as well sometimes! alright i won't really worry. no allergies thus far, let's hope it continues to stay that way :smile:

i just get a little paranoid about all those silly articles saying stuff about estrogen in soy (?) and leading to breast cancer, cus cancer runs in my family! eek! but it's just me being paranoid i guess.

Please try not to worry, it is true that exposure to estrogen increases breast cancer risk BUT eating soy, even often, has a negligible increase in your risk.

Do you know what causes the biggest increase in exposure to estrogen?
    How many periods you have; so starting early, not having a baby or breastfeeding, and having late menopause. The more periods you have the higher the chances of you getting breast cancer, but you don't read articles about how to reduce your cancer risk by not having periods do you? Soy is just another one of those foods people happen to demonise.

If you have a family history of cancer, just check your boobies on the reg, go for examinations or mammograms when they're offered, and go to your Doctor or other Health Care Professional as soon as if you think something is wrong.

Trust me, I'm a scientist. ;)
  • squishprincess
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »

Please try not to worry, it is true that exposure to estrogen increases breast cancer risk BUT eating soy, even often, has a negligible increase in your risk.

How many periods you have; so starting early, not having a baby or breastfeeding, and having late menopause. The more periods you have the higher the chances of you getting breast cancer, but you don't read articles about how to reduce your cancer risk by not having periods do you? Soy is just another one of those foods people happen to demonise.

If you have a family history of cancer, just check your boobies on the reg, go for examinations or mammograms when they're offered, and go to your Doctor or other Health Care Professional as soon as if you think something is wrong.

i def do go to the dr/clinic if i think something is up! (i've been 3 or so times in the past 2 years, you could say im paranoid.. rightfully so though, my mother passed away a couple years ago due to cervical cancer..)

also good to know. i don't read ~too~ much into all those articles demonising this food and that food, but sometimes still those thoughts rotate at the back of my brain :p

but in the meantime *shoves soy icecream and tofu in my mouth*
  • JenniDaisy
    Options

i def do go to the dr/clinic if i think something is up! (i've been 3 or so times in the past 2 years, you could say im paranoid.. rightfully so though, my mother passed away a couple years ago due to cervical cancer..)

also good to know. i don't read ~too~ much into all those articles demonising this food and that food, but sometimes still those thoughts rotate at the back of my brain :p

It's understandable you'd be paranoid, but your Doctor will know your family history and they'll keep an eye on you because of that. Just try to be as fit and healthy as you can, don't smoke and don't drink more than you should, that'll give you the best possible chance of staying healthy even with genetic predispositions.
    Relax and eat your ice-cream (but make sure it fits your calorie goals)
  • squishprincess
    Options

It's understandable you'd be paranoid, but your Doctor will know your family history and they'll keep an eye on you because of that. Just try to be as fit and healthy as you can, don't smoke and don't drink more than you should, that'll give you the best possible chance of staying healthy even with genetic predispositions.
    Relax and eat your ice-cream (but make sure it fits your calorie goals)

ah well i dont have a dr! (i should get on that, a bit broke atm though) anyway! nope no drinking or smoking, just eating plenty of veggies and ice cream and sweet tea :blush: (which fits into my cals of course)
    thanks for taking the time to reply!! you've eased my mind!
  • omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I make my own soymilk and drink a ton of it. It's great stuff and healthy, lots of protein. As far as the estrogen goes, there's no evidence that soy 'estrogens' are the same as human estrogens in that regard plus the amount that you consume in food is negligible.
    I do have a problem with soy though and it's that it makes me super gassy. Don't know if anyone else gets that problem.