is sugar included in carbs count on MFP?

Options
I'm trying to go low carb/low sugar, but I'm not sure if the 'carbs' calculation on MFP also includes the number in the 'sugar' column. For example today I have had 76g carbs and 46g sugar - so does that mean I've had 30g of non-sugar carbs?
Hope that makes sense.
If anyone knows the answer to this please let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I log 3 teaspoons of sugar with my morning coffee, and it shows in both columns, so I'm going to say yes, you ate 30g of non-sugar carbs.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - that makes sense. Thanks for the reply.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Sugar and fiber are both included by default.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    ... and yet I've just noticed that apparently an egg has only 1g of carbs but has 2g of sugar? –

Eggs - Medium Free Range Egg, 1 Egg (58g) 88 1 7 13 124 2
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    On general food labels sugar is counted under total carbs so I don't see why it wouldn't be here also...
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    ... and yet I've just noticed that apparently an egg has only 1g of carbs but has 2g of sugar? –

Eggs - Medium Free Range Egg, 1 Egg (58g) 88 1 7 13 124 2

I can't tell which specific entry that is, but it's most likely user entered. Look it up in a web browser instead of the mobile app. If you see a * at the front, it's a user entry. Don't trust user entries unless you've confirmed them yourself on a nutrition label.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go low carb/low sugar, but I'm not sure if the 'carbs' calculation on MFP also includes the number in the 'sugar' column. For example today I have had 76g carbs and 46g sugar - so does that mean I've had 30g of non-sugar carbs?

yes, if entered correctly the Carbs = Sugar + Fiber + other carbohydrates (starch etc)

carbs should never be less than sugar

• Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh yes JPW.... I see what you mean. It appears the correct amount is 'trace' of carbs and 'trace' of sugar in one egg. (:-)
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Most food labels say 'carbohydrates X amount of which sugars Y amount', so I guess MFP works on the same principle.