Certain excercise knocks me sick and dizzy

Options
Hi
Ive been doing really well with cardio and have no problems at all out on my bike. But I'm trying to switch it up due to everything I see on here about doing less cardio and more lifting and HIIT. This morning I switched cardio for a bums and tums type workout and afterwards I felt a bit grotty ( light headed and dizzy ) to the point where I needed a sit down. I don't feel like I pushed myself at all on the workout which was only 10 mins so I ran through it twice. With gaps in between the excercises it was probably only 10-12 mins of work. What's wrong with me, I'm such a light weight lol.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you were not breathing properly during some of the exercises? I know when I am trying really hard on something, sometimes my trainer will catch me holding my breath....
  • VickiLogan11
    VickiLogan11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you were not breathing properly during some of the exercises? I know when I am trying really hard on something, sometimes my trainer will catch me holding my breath....

Yes Sarah I'm guilty of this for sure. Is it just a case of reminding myself to keep breathing ? Thankyou for your reply.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    breathing, yes. But what are bums & tums?
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    breathing, yes. But what are bums & tums?

A programme that targets these areas
    Consisting of planks, sit ups etc
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It could be breathing, or perhaps you were already dehydrated and so going into your work didn't help that.
    Make sure you stay hydrated! (I mean don't guzzle water during a workout, but try to drink an adequate amount before and after!)
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Thankyou
  • Joel33mfp
    Joel33mfp Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi, breathing does make a difference and not just short little ones... I train this guys who's a 3rd degree black belt and when we train he takes a big breath and lets it out slow in like 4 or 6 bursts. It helps control your breathing. It could also be your food intake. You need a mix of protein and carbs... Don't over do it, but don't just have a smoothly and think that will do... It won't.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have that issue with certain yoga exercises and some other things. I have bad sinuses, and too much bending over or leaning downward or anything that has me leaning down and straightening up repeatedly gives me vertigo and makes me feel woozie so that I have to stop.

Just another thought.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Yes Sarah I'm guilty of this for sure. Is it just a case of reminding myself to keep breathing ? Thankyou for your reply.

What I try to do is breathe in, then blow it out as I lift the weight. For example, with a squat i inhale as i go down, exhale as i stand up).Or if it is some thing like a crunch, breathe out as you crunch up (which will also contract your abs more)

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The dizziness was after working out, correct? I don't think it's breathing-related. Sounds more like not enough calories or carbs in the few hours preceding your workout.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    The dizziness was after working out, correct? I don't think it's breathing-related. Sounds more like not enough calories or carbs in the few hours preceding your workout.

I agree with @Cherimoose‌. I used to sometimes workout without having eaten enough that day. I would get dizzy and my ears would start to feel full like I had a head cold and couldn't hear well. I found out that it was low blood sugar, so I now make sure to eat enough during the day before exercise, even (especially?) if it is first thing in the morning.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If it involves a lot of sit-ups and exercises lying on the floor and diziness happens after you get up, try gettin up more slowly - sit up for a few sec, on your knees for a few sec, etc. Many women have this issue when standing up from prolonged stay in positions where their head is at the level of or below the heart. Bums and tums sounds like there may be glute bridges, kick backs while on all fours etc - all positions where this phenomenon can occur (as well as in some yoga poses).
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Hi there thanks for the replies. I am eating enough all though have suffered low blood pressure in the past. I do always get up carefully so maybe can rule out these 2 causes. Thanks again :)
  • bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I suffer from things like this caused by 2 different things - I get mild vertigo sometimes from lying flat and getting up and similar movements. I also get "head rushes" possibly from blood pooling in one part of my body doing reclined exercise, so i get up slowly too.
    As a result of these 2 things (and i know it's not great for positioning sometimes) I will often put something under my head to keep it just an inch or two off the floor, I find it keeps both vertigo and "head rushes" to a minimum. But however careful you are it just happens sometimes.
  • Missyjules1974
    Missyjules1974 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I get this and for me it's low blood pressure. I feel like I'm disconnected from myself and everything around me and I've had the stuffing knocked out of me. I drink lots of fluid and eat something salty and it seems to sort me out. It's a hideous feeling though.