Please help...Body Fat Scales and their accuracy!!

Options
Hi Everyone

I've been measuring my bodyfat on those scales at the gym and over the last 2 weeks its increasing and today I did body fat and its increased by almost 10%....How accurate are they because surely this can't be right?!?! I work out every lunch time for approx 45 minutes and have just started doing some weight training but I'm feeling very disheartened at the minute.

I eat well, I drink 3-4 litres of water a day......

Before Xmas I was 11st 10lb, I'm now 11st 7lb but have lost approx 8-10 inches from hips, waist, bust and thighs!

Can anyone help me please.....

Thanks, Kel

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Bodyfat measured through impedance (which is what these scales do) is hardly ever accurate. Dexa, submersion, and calipers (if done properly) are much more accurate. I’d just take body measurements (neck, chest, stomach, waist, hips, upper arms, and upper legs). That will give you a decent approximation of your fat loss (just be aware that water gain/loss can affect measurements a little, so always focus on trend rather than each absolute measurement).
  • teodoragodar
    Options
    It depends also of the amount of water in your body so if you have your period it also influence results. I agree with Allan that it is the best with professional help and calipers but for you just take your measurements and follow them. Also take care of the amount of salt in your food because salt hold water in cells.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    I've got a running machine and expensive scales that both measure body fat, they are usually 10% different!

My Gym has a body pod which are very accurate, and makes the running machine within 4% accurate. In short I just use the body pod every so often. Not very expensive
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bodyfat measured through impedance (which is what these scales do) is hardly ever accurate. Dexa, submersion, and calipers (if done properly) are much more accurate. I’d just take body measurements (neck, chest, stomach, waist, hips, upper arms, and upper legs). That will give you a decent approximation of your fat loss (just be aware that water gain/loss can affect measurements a little, so always focus on trend rather than each absolute measurement).

This comment is spot on!!!!!
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    At my last BB comp, the day before getting on stage, my PT did a caliper BF on me, came in at 5.5%. While my scale showed 12%. Huge difference.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Body fat calculators are not accurate. Period. They are affected by too many variables, like hydration level.