In your opinion macros or calories?

Options
Now I'm pretty sure I can guess the answer, but I've been thinking about this for a while now. I'm on a cut and as we all know cuts can be difficult especially when you've got macros to stick to.

Sometimes I feel like having a treat and that can throw off the delicate balance of the dreaded macro split D:

Do you suggest eating enough to get your macros at least to a good level or focusing on keeping the calories at the right level for weight loss. There is compromise either way, but I'm struggling to decide how to go about it!

I eat well, I make sure I get adequate protein and carbs and limit sugar and fat, but some days I feel like having a little treat when the food gets a bit difficut to stomach!

Thanks for your input and I'm sorry if it sounds like a silly question!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In general...I'd say that the answer is both. They aren't mutually exclusive.

In your specific circumstance, I'd still hedge my answer a bit and say "it depends". If I'm pretty close on my macro goals even if I'm a little short I'll stick to the calorie number first. However if I'm woefully short somewhere I've had days where i eat something toward the end of the day to get my numbers up. I still try not to go over maintenance calories tho.

Why low fat BTW? You do need a fair amount of dietary fat for nutrient absorption and other things.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I aim for low fat, it's rare that I achieve anything less than about 25% fat in my day to day diet, I think it's just that if I aim to keep it down I do better, I have tendancy to eat high fat if I don't keep an eye on it! I am aware of the importance of dietary fat for hormone production and other important biological processes.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Oh ok I guess I don't consider that particularly low..I'm usually in the 25-30% range
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am on a cut as well right atm...I Have my macros set and try to hit them...if I don't I am usually pretty close and as long as I am under my calories I don't worry about it too much....esp my fat and carbs. My protein I try to get as close as possible.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    both ….

calorie deficit for straight weight loss.

calorie deficit + macro/micro adherence for body recomp, leanness, bulking, general health, etc

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Both. With fairly careful planning, I can hit nutrient goals (esp protein, fat &fiber) in 1200 kcal. I'm usually eating above that, and any excess calories I count but don't worry about macros.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If it's a rare every once in a while I'll generally focus on calories, but still try to stay in the ballpark on protein.

For example, say I aim for about 125 g protein, 60 g fat, 200 g carbs. If I'm at 110 g protein, 55 g fat, 180 g carbs and really want something that will kick me over my carbs and fat and leave me low on protein, I'd probably figure it was fine for that one day--close enough. I would not then find some extra protein to eat too to get me to 125, despite that bringing me over my calories. However, if my protein number was 70, I'd think twice about the particular indulgence that day and put it off until I could fit it in better or else decide I could fit in an over day that week and eat a bit more protein too. (I have room in my protein goal--I think 100 is really what I'd like to have, so if I'm around there I don't worry even though my usual goal is higher.)

If the particular indulgence leaves me high on protein/fat but low on carbs or high on protein/carbs but low on fat, I don't worry about it at all if it's just a one day thing. In that situation I'd rather keep my calories. If I end up doing that a lot (meaning way off, not just a little), I look at what's going on, though, and adjust something.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Calories for weight loss, macros for satiety and body composition.

I eat treats all the time and work them into both my calories AND my macros. I had two PB cookies yesterday with breakfast, met my protein and fat minimums regardless. Carbs are always "the rest" therefore being over on fat and protein is fine.

Eta fat and protien should be based on your body weight, not on percentages. 0.30x your weight in lbs for the ABSOLUTE minimum fat intake. I do 0.4 as my minimum otherwise my diet would suck. Protein minimum 0.8x your weight for grams.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    calories first once you get them where they need to be then work on macros
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Calories then macros, but protein is really the only one I care about, and as long as I'm over 100, I'm happy.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MAcros > calories. Set how many calories you need to lose weight, the build your macros to suit that. The general recommendation is 0.8g and 0.5g per lb of body weight for protein and fat respectively. Fill out the rest of your calories with carbs.

For me, I'm now aiming for 2200 calories, 187g of protein and 117g of fat. 100g of carbs fill out the rest.

It makes a macro ratio of 18% carbs, 34% protein, 48% fat, but frankly, ratio percentages mean nothing in the grand scheme of thing.

Now that I've got this, I eat to meet my macros and, like magic, my calories will be perfect, as long as I avoid alcohol.

The only reason why my calories will be wrong is because the nutritional labeling is never accurate and is always a rounded number.

ETA: I re-evaluate my caloric need and my macros every long weekend (once every 1-2 months) based on my goal weightloss, my actual weightloss, and my current weight.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I go for Macros while cutting/shredding and calories when maintaining.

Personal preference I guess but I prefer to watch my macros (protein/fat and then carbs) closely when cutting. I know if those are right (consistent) my cals will fall into place naturally.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Calories
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    For me right now, calories. When I get to the point that I've dropped as much fat as I'm hoping to drop, then I may switch to macros. Thankfully I don't usually have any problems maintaining (or coming close to maintaining) both. I cook all my meals, and almost never eat out (maybe once every two weeks) so I can keep things really consistent. Learning to cook and doing it consistently made all the difference!
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    So more people seem to be saying calories, but as long as I'm trying to hit my macros on most days, the occaisional lower protein or higher fat day isn't going to hurt right?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So more people seem to be saying calories, but as long as I'm trying to hit my macros on most days, the occaisional lower protein or higher fat day isn't going to hurt right?

right

remember you are human, and your body is in a constant state of using and storing macros, if you are typically getting a reasonable intake one wacky day is not going to make your body run out of protein