Advice please from someone who has lost weight and kept it off.

Options
I have been gaining and losing the same 30-50 lbs since I was about 11 years old. Several years ago I lost a lot of weight eating 900 calories a day and excercising as much as possible. I am trying to lose weight again and not sure how to do it. I have been consistently tracking my calories for about 2 months now and I have not lost a lot of weight. When I do lose weight I am not sure what I did different in that time to cause the weight loss. A friend of mine had her trainer who review my stats and said I should be eating 1600 calories a day . That seems way to high to me. MFP has me at 1200 and that doesn't seem to work either. I do not weigh my food , and I know that is one of the first things people say to do. I do portion out as best I can. If I get a food scale and measure everything my husband will really think I am losing my mind. I am hoping to get some advice from someone who has lost the weight and kept it off.

Replies

• redskiednight
    redskiednight Posts: 32 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you are not losing at 1200, you are eating way more than you think you are. Buy yourself a food scale (who cares what your husband thinks, I doubt he would care too much) and start weighing everything you put in your mouth.

Check all of the stickied posts at the top of this board, follow the advice they give you, and you will have no trouble losing the weight.

How tall are you and how old are you? I lose a pound every two or a bit less weeks at 1600 and I am 5 foot 8, currently 155lbs, down from 215. You don't need to starve yourself at 1200, you just need to log accurately. You use a lot of generic foods like 'One potato' which mean nothing, really. You need to weigh your food :)

ETA: you said you have not lost a lot of weight. How much have you already lost? You didn't put 50lbs on in 2 months, it won't come off that quickly. Weight loss is not a sprint, it's a marathon.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh my food , and I know that is one of the first things people say to do. I do portion out as best I can. If I get a food scale and measure everything my husband will really think I am losing my mind.

There's your problem. Saying your husband will judge you is an excuse. If you are legitimately concerned about how your husband will view your actions, consider having a conversation with him about how frustrated you are gaining and losing the same 30-50 lbs. I'm sure he'll be supportive if you explain how helpful a tool it will be.

You will also need to be more accurate logging the correct entry on MFP. For example, you log creamer for coffee as one entry, then coffee with half and half as another entry. You used half and half and creamer? The coffee entry has the half and half already added, but you don't know how much half and half that is.

You trainer friend probably had you losing at a lower rate than 2lbs/week. You say you have not lost a lot of weight in 2 months- how much have you lost?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    This is how I lost weight and kept it off for years-
    Weigh all solid food on my digital food scale.
    Measure caloric liquids in measuring cups and spoons.
    Eat at a deficit and then maintenance.
    Move my body for health and extra calories.

Simple yet effective!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. set appropraite goals, most people who are given the 1200 calorie goal have a rate loss too aggressive for their goal. Yes, 2 lbs a week is considered healthy if you are very obease, but when you need to lose less you have less room to create a deficit. On your profile it says you want to lose about 30 more pounds? You should be shooting for about 1 lb a week.
    2. To give you a little bit of perspective: I am a 200lb female, fairly active, and I lose about 1.5 lbs/week eating 1600 + part of my exercise calories. 900 calories a day is way too restrictive, may cause all sorts of health problems, and is just not sustainable.
    3. Make a plan you can keep up with forever. Don't cut out things you can't say goodbye to for the rest of your life. If you like chocolate (or donuts, or ice cream, or whatever) thats fine, learn to eat it in a moderate portions and fit it into your normal routine.
    4. Looking at your diary I am seeing days that (I really really hope) are only partially logged. To really have success calorie counting you have to count every thing every day. If you don't know what you are eating you can't have accurate expectations for progress.
    5. I know the foodscale seems so annoying, but it really does make a big difference, especially for calorie dense foods (peanut butter and cheese were eye openers for me). You will learn to incorperate it into you routine like its nothing, and it will only seem like a big deal to others if you make a big deal out of it. My husband thinks the weighing is a little strange but other than that he doesn't care. It's been part of the routine that has been successful for me. If I am happy he is happy :)

If you have not read these threads, there are all sorts of useful tips in there for setting up a reliable plan and logging accurately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide#latest

• stacerenea27
    stacerenea27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone so far for your advice. I am 5'7 and currently weigh 156-158. I drink A LOT of coffee. So, yes when you see creamer or half and half it is a different cup of coffee. I sweaten with Stevia. I do use a measuring cup for liquids. I also count things so when it says x number of pretzels, I really did count them. My family thinks I am nuts. Part of that is my fault I know because I did go down to 900 calories a day and no coffee.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I also count things so when it says x number of pretzels, I really did count them.

I used to do that too, I found some items there was quite a bit of descrepancy between the counted serving and the weighed serving. It wasn't always bad either, sometimes you find you can have more (one of my favorite cookies ended up this way, that was a win!)
  • stacerenea27
    Options
    Ok, here are some specific questions that I have. Do you eat your excercise calories back? I only log half of my excercise. Do you always eat breakfast?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Ok, here are some specific questions that I have. Do you eat your excercise calories back? I only log half of my excercise. Do you always eat breakfast?

Yes at least half of them when I was using the NEAT Method and yes I always eat breakfast but you don't have to it's about staying in goal meal timing is of no consequence

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I also count things so when it says x number of pretzels, I really did count them. My family thinks I am nuts.

The scale is worth it. SSSOOO much easier than counting and estimating. My fam thinks I'm nuts too, but then I'm the most in-shape one in my family so they keep it to themselves.
  • ahoy_m8
    Options
    P.S. Counting & estimating worked great until I turned 46. Before that I had heavy travel, demanding job, always on feet, presenting, etc. I actually exercise more now (added ST), but otherwise I'm pretty sedentary. As my activity level went down, I needed more accuracy. It really does work!
  • stacerenea27
    Options
    What is the NEAT method? "The scale is worth it. SSSOOO much easier than counting and estimating. My fam thinks I'm nuts too, but then I'm the most in-shape one in my family so they keep it to themselves. " Love this!
  • stacerenea27
    Options
    Also, do you guys have cheat days or cheat meals?
  • ahoy_m8
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nope. I log it all and bank calories for the weekend.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    get the scale, be sure you have plenty of measuring cups too. if your husband says something about it, tell him you are getting serious about your health and maybe he should too.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have kept most of 50 pounds off for 8 years. I am kinda fighting with the last 15 pounds. I agree that learning about portion sizes and weighing food is going to help. I think some people aren't really aware of how sedendtry they are. The daily movement...walking to yoga class, ironing, putting things away, cooking, carrying groceries home from the store are what make the difference between a scale that won't move and steady loss.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Ditto the others, you HAVE to weigh your food. If you don't know how much is going in, you won't be able to create that deficit. And with around 30 pounds to lose, at most you should try for one pound a week.

It helps to have preportioned snacks ready to go (I have bags of weighed carrots, fruit, pretzels; containers of yogurt, etc) so when you're hungry you're not tempted to skip the scale and just eat a "handful" of something.

As others have said, the portion size on a package isn't necessarily accurate. My bag of prunes says 5 prunes is 100 calories, if I weigh 5 prunes, they're really 125 calories. My oatmeal says 1/2 a cup is 150 calories, if I weigh half a cup of oatmeal, it's 200 calories. You get the picture.
  • stacerenea27
    Options
    8 years. That is amazing! I like the idea of banking calories for the weekend as well. I would like to clarify, my husband is 6 foot 2 and only weighs 160. He has always been extremely thin and has a hard time gaining weight so he just doesn't understand what it is like to watch what you eat.
  • brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good advice already. I just wanted to note that unless you are measuring your coffee creamer/half and half, you are taking in a whole bunch of calories that you don't even realize. A serving of coffee creamer is very small and the calories add up very quickly. You could easily be drinking a couple hundred calories a day in creamer and not realize it.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Also lean muscle mass plays a big part of whether you can do the same things as you did 10 years ago. The less muscle mass you have, the quicker and easier it can be to put the weight back on. What kind of exercises did you do to lose the weight? Did you continue to do them during the time you gained the weight back?

As we age, unless you concentrate on keeping and/or building some lean muscle mass (LMM), the amount we naturally have will start to decrease. Running and cardio does nothing to build or keep lean muscle mass, but you will "earn" calories for the day. You can only keep and build LMM by weight lifting or challenging your muscles with some sort of weights. Have you ever heard the term "skinny fat"? When you don't have muscles, but you are a skinny weight, it is quite easy to gain the weight back.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Move more than you consume.