So frustrated

Options
I have always been fit and in shape.. I am 29. Just had my second baby 8 weeks ago, and still have 30lbs to lose. I gained a total of 50- a large bit due to preeclampsia and water gain. I've been watching what I eat and just got back in the gym this week. I've lost 1pound this week. It's frustrating bc I have never ever been this big on my life, not any of my clothes fit, I am not exaggerating, I had to buy clothes for the gym... I have never had such a hard time losing weight. With my first son I lost all my weight in 3 weeks. I am not eating terrible, and for the most part pretty healthy and usually right at or under calorie goal. In 3 days I've ran a total of 10 miles, with resistance and incline and back on the weights plus never having a moment to sit down bc of a newborn and a 4 year old boy. I start back to work Monday and have to buy new clothes for it. I can't even get a leg in my old work clothes. I am beyond frustrated and disappointed with myself. Can't figure out what to change. And I do know results don't happen overnight, but it's sure hard to look in the mirror everyday. I would love any support or advice.

Replies

• mnmoon10
    mnmoon10 Posts: 12
    Options
    10 miles over 2 days I meant to put.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Give yourself a break. You had a baby 8 weeks ago. Weigh and measure and log everything you eat. If you breastfeed, make sure to add in extra calories for that. You don't have to kill yourself working out, just make sure to eat at a deficit. You can't compare your two pregnancies, or the weight loss after. Each one affects us differently, during and after. Just be patient, continue to eat at a caloric deficit and workout. Don't burn yourself out.
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Be patient with yourself. I'm no expert, but it sounds like you are doing the right things. Its never as easy to lose after the 2nd baby and it sounds like you had a difficult pregnancy. Like you said it doesn't happen over night. Get some rest too - I've read that it is harder to lose weight if you don't get enough sleep. 1 pound a week, again, no expert, sounds like a good safe weight loss.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    It is going to be much easier to get your weight down by carefully weighing and logging what you eat and supplementing with exercise then it would be to burn yourself out at the gym.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Love yourself, and your new baby, and give yourself a break. I am not a mom so I don't have alot of experience with this but I do know your body is already under a lot of stress right now without you adding alot of exercise and cutting calories on top of it. Talk to your doctor about pre-enclampsia and what you should expect having had that condition. This is not a case of "I just got lazy and put on the weight and it's all my fault", you have had some very real things contribute to your current situation.

Just a side tip: (I know buying the bigger clothes stinks but since you have to have a work wardrobe) go to goodwill or other second hand shops. That has saved me alot throughout my weight loss journey. I can usually find some really nice pieces there alottttt cheaper than buying them new. No use busting the bank for a temporary wardrobe.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Please don't be so hard on yourself!
    Just buy a few inexpensive seperates and carry on!
    It will all come off in good time. Enjoy your baby-you'll never get these precious moments back.
    Relax.........
  • fatnel
    fatnel Posts: 1
    Options
    You're doing great, give yourself a little extra time, it took me a few extra months to get weight off the second pregnancy and about 8 months the third baby. (And I only gained, 22 pounds in the first place, so very frustrating to still have 15-20lbs after!? )But it will happen be patient with yourself and enjoy those babies, they grow up way too fast!
  • mnmoon10
    Options
    Thank you all. I think the hardest part was I used to be there person that people would ask me to train them and help them with their diet and I used to do bikini competitions. So being this size and feeling like a stranger in my body is hard! Thanks for letting me vent. I truly needed it.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on having your second child! That's exciting. As for your weight issue, don't be so hard on yourself. You have recognized that you need to make a change and you are taking steps to get it done. Well done. That puts you ahead of most people. I wonder what your calorie level is and what it has been in the past. When you dropped weight before, how many calories were you eating? I ask because if you have a history of low calorie eating, your metabolism may be adapted down to that level, which makes losing weight difficult. What does your nutrition look like now? Are you being very accurate in your food diary logging?
  • mnmoon10
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, I believe I will go shopping. Having clothes that fit, will help instead of staring at what doesn't fit everyday. I really truly appreciate all the support.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Another vote for sleep. Everything is better--fat burning, energy level, recovery, sanity, kindness--if you can manage to get enough.
  • mnmoon10
    Options

"]Congratulations on having your second child! That's exciting. As for your weight issue, don't be so hard on yourself. You have recognized that you need to make a change and you are taking steps to get it done. Well done. That puts you ahead of most people. I wonder what your calorie level is and what it has been in the past. When you dropped weight before, how many calories were you eating? I ask because if you have a history of low calorie eating, your metabolism may be adapted down to that level, which makes losing weight difficult. What does your nutrition look like now? Are you being very accurate in your food diary logging?

Well, when I cut before it was quite a bit different. I went from 145 to 130 and that was about a 1200 calorie intake with about 2 hours a day in the gym. I was running 5 miles a day and all the rest was weights. My goal at that point was to cut body fat to get into competition shape and build muscle at the same time. Most of my diet at that point was proteins along with simple carbs and a lot of fruit. I also supplemented with glutamine, fish oil, vitamins, b12 and protein powder for when I didn't have time to eat or needed the extra calories. I think that's why I'm kinda confused on where to start now. This is quite a bit different of a weight loss. I weighed in at 191 the day I delivered my son and currently weigh 168.2. According to this app, it says for my goal of a 30lb weight loss to consume 1200 calories a day. I'm also 5'8. Now, I am usually under that after I work out. So that's where my confusin lays.. If I'm burning quite a bit of calories at the gym, and consuming about 1200 calories, the scale should be moving a bit quicker. I'm wondering what I need to do to get my metabolism going. I'm taking the glutamine again (which is amazing for muscle recovery and so many other benefits) along witg fish oil, and my vitamins. I am honest in my logging. I was keeping it on a notebook and today is the first day I am starting it on here.

• fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    WOW - 8 weeks and you are already stressing about the weight? Give yourself (and your body) a break. Your body went through a lot of changes in the last year it may take a bit for your hormones to settle down. Log your calories (make sure you are eating enough) and don't kill yourself working out. Ignore all those stupid celebrities that appear to have lost every extra pound in a week - they are wearing spanx or photoshopped!

You will get back to where you want to be in time - just remember to enjoy your new baby.