Constantly Hungry!?!?! Please help!

Options
Hi everyone!

I've been trying to lose weight for a few months and it's being going well - I've been eating healthily, keeping fit and have lost weight. However, right now I've got loads of deadlines in university as well as exams, which basically means I am stuck sitting down all day writing essays and revising. I am ALWAYS hungry, and just can't stop the cravings to snack or thinking about food! I really don't know what to do. I know if my days were busier I wouldn't be as hungry, but I literally have no choice other than to sit down all day because of the amount of work I have. I do still try to fit in a 30 minute run in the morning.

I will really appreciate any advice because I'm worried I'm going to start putting on weight rather than losing it! Thank you!!

Replies

• 1nelle
    1nelle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water. Some time your body is trying to tell you that it is thirst and not hungry. When your writing your papers keep a bottle or cup of cold ice water. Also keep like carrot sticks or something next to you step away from chips. Your body is just trying to bully you in to eating something.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so I can't see what you're eating. Perhaps tweak your macros a bit to get more protein, fat, and fiber in your diet so you aren't as hungry?
  • cleaver1
    cleaver1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi

Agree with the above post, make sure your water intake is good and that might fight off some cravings. Also, not sure what breakfasts you're eating at the moment but if you try to eat some low GI carbs like those found in rolled oats they will keep your blood glucose levels stable for longer. Made with skimmed milk it will provide a good source of protein too. Include a small serving of nuts/seeds to balance the meal out with some healthy fats and along with regular water intake you'll keep those cravings away.

Good luck!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Why not carry some healthy snacks around with you, to nibble on throughout the day (Fruit, Nuts etc)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Stress can cause hunger. Maybe keep some low calorie snacks on hand to feed the stress without blowing your calories for the day. Some veggies sticks or air popped corn or something like that.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling! I also recommend drinking lots of water (or squash, as I find water gets a bit boring). Pre-plan your meals/snacks for the day and say 'right, I can eat *this* when I've written five paragraphs' or something similar. And if none of that works, then take a five/ten minute break to do some jumping jacks or something when you feel like you can't fight the cravings.

If none of that works, then you may need to eat more in general. Good luck!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a lot of carbs, your body will burn through them quickly and you will feel hungry sooner. You will feel full longer and feel cravings less if you eat more protein-heavy meals.
  • SuperC_sa
    SuperC_sa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    If you are eating a lot of carbs, your body will burn through them quickly and you will feel hungry sooner. You will feel full longer and feel cravings less if you eat more protein-heavy meals.

This
    I noticed a huge decrease in my cravings/hunger once I started hitting higher protein goals.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I'll take a wild guess that you're eating 1200 calories for a 2lb/week goal?

Lower goal to 0.5 or 1lb a week, eat more calories, and eat back at least half of any exercise calories you do log if you aren't already doing so.

If this isn't the case, then eat more fat and protein.
  • rebeccaschlaht
    rebeccaschlaht Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    between meals when I start to get hungry I eat string cheese or 15 almonds. Also an apple with peanut butter is good. I find that protein is the key to getting rid of the hunger. Add scrambled eggs in the morning takes 1 minute to cook. or cottage cheese or both.
  • cleaver1
    cleaver1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Spot on saying eat more protein as increasing protein intake helps stabilise blood sugar levels. Your line about carbs only applies to simple/high GI carbs though. If complex/low GI carbs are consumed your digestive system has to break them down into their simple form before they can be used by your body. Therefore complex carbs provide a steady release of energy, keep blood sugar levels low and fight off cravings for longer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I set my interval timer to remind me to get up and move around at least once an hour. This will have the added benefit of revitalizing your mind with fresh oxygen.