stretch marks

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've got them on my boobs, tummy and inner thighs, from pregnancy. They've turned silver now, as my youngest is 20. I still absolutely hate them, they really are the bane of my existence. There is no way on earth I'll ever wear a bikini. I have to wear a tank top and boxer shorts to go swimming :disappointed: I haven't owned a pair of bathers since my kids were toddlers.
    Hubby says he doesn't care, but of course he's going to say that. He can't be honest because he knows that will upset me more! :neutral:
  • MERRYMONKEY512
    MERRYMONKEY512 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ahh the dreaded swimming outfit. I love the billowing boxer shorts that circle me like an exotic jellyfish in the water, and the way the shorts fall down when I get out.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Ahh the dreaded swimming outfit. I love the billowing boxer shorts that circle me like an exotic jellyfish in the water, and the way the shorts fall down when I get out.

haha such a lovely feeling :tired_face:

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your input!
    My stretch marks are purple and red right now. They wouldn't bother me so much if they were a silvery color, but I was unaware that happens. So thanks for letting me know! Lol. And for those of you questioning why my stretch marks bother me at all...it's all subjective. To you, stretch marks may seem like a miniscule issue in comparison to any others. Well to me, they are sort of a big deal. Which is why I feel self consious about about wearing a swimsuit. Although eventually I do hope to not let them bother me as much, for now it's just something I have to learn to deal with. Thanks to those who gave advice on how to lessen the color (I will definitely be trying almond oil!) and of course losing weight :)

If they are purple, the process can be reversed but you need to act fast. Get an appointment with a dr.This is what I have used with amazing success, but I do not know if it is vailable where you are: http://www.synchroline.com/prodotti_dettaglio.asp?ID=369&amp;N=D&amp;Nm=D2&amp;P=TERPROLINE body cream <br>125 ml or 250 ml
    It is used to help the skin heal from scars and absolutely works when the stretchmarks are still purple. I bet there have to be similar products by other companies.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    -
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    They do fade eventually - trust me, the ones you date won't notice... they hate it when you point them out! It is a hard thing to get used to, there are times hwere I see them again and go "ugh, time to wrap up in EVERYTHING."

Like you said, it will take time. <3
  • MimGSR
    MimGSR Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Time will help most of all, but some people find fake tan can hide them.
    As for swimsuits I think I've found a cut out suit which will hit just right to avoid my marks. Im hoping to buy that and a pretty sarong for my holiday this year :)
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    From everything I've heard, stretch marks will not go away. Staying well hydrated and keeping your skin moisturized can help them not be as prominent, but they will never completely go away. There are products designed for stretch marks, such as Bio Oil, but those mostly just hydrate and moisturize your skin to help fade them, and they can be super expensive! In my opinion, not worth the money. I know it can be hard to be ok with them when you look in the mirror, but try and remember that pretty much everyone has stretch marks some where, even people who have always been on the thin side. Men have them, too! As silly as it sounds, I never really knew that until recently. Men get them on their thighs, stomachs, etc. just like women do.

Everyone has parts of their body they are self-conscious of, and in the end if you can find ways to accept them, you will be a lot happier than constantly trying to fight against your body and things that are completely natural.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 now, and had my kids when I was 17 and 19. The stretch marks don't go away, they just fade and shrink. I don't even think about them anymore, I've got other things to think about. They really aren't noticeable. I'll wear bikinis and I don't think anyone notices. I've got stretched skin on my belly too, and I don't care about that either. It's just a part of me. My hubs still loves my body. No one else seems to care. Meh - it's just skin. I love me.
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Guys don't care about stretch marks. If you're standing naked in front of him the stretch marks are the last thing that will be on his mind.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I consider my stretch marks as battle scars. I fought the weight loss battle and won.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been covered in them since I was 14, I'm now 20. I haven't even had a baby, so I can't blame it on that! Luckily for me my bf doesn't give two hoots about them (it's been almost 4 years - so I'm actually starting to believe him now haha). Not ideal for my own self confidence, but I just think myself lucky that I'm not in a worse situation (i.e. I could have a far worse skin condition) :)
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've had stretch marks since my pre-teens when I was growing. (Not from weight gain, but same idea.) Many of them have almost completely faded so they're very faint white marks that catch the light sometimes. The ones on my hips are most noticeable because there are more of them but honestly they don't bother me at all. I've known a number of people who have these growth stretch marks (men and women) and I don't see stretch marks as a big deal at all or known anyone who does.

I agree that when they start out they can look pretty startling because they're dark but that fades with time. As for dealing with them? I remember reading somewhere that a tan can even them out. (Fake tan, I wouldn't advocate real tanning!) When I was a teen and really self conscious I used self-tanners for that reason. It reduces the contrast between the marks and your skin which was helpful for me as I'm really pale. Any special creams don't do a thing though.