Losing 20-30lbs

Options
Hello,
Just curious to see how long it has taken people to lose 20-30 lbs.

Replies

• fellowtraveler87
    fellowtraveler87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm currently down about 30 pounds in 3 months.
  • wendy1021
    wendy1021 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How many times a week do you workout?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    At 5'4, from 135lbs to 112lbs eating 1200 a day with no exercise I lost on average 0.7lbs per week, took 31 weeks to lose 23lbs.

Your rate of loss will depend on your calorie deficit and your current weight. If you're already a healthy weight, then that sort of rate (0.5-1lb a week) is a healthy goal.
  • leahmstoffel
    leahmstoffel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It took me only about 2 months to drop my first 20 but since then it's taken me about 3 months to drop the next 10. When I first started losing I wasn't working out at all because I had a fractured knee (but I live in NYC and walk everywhere so maybe crutching around a few miles a day counts as working out?) and I was also only eating 1200 calories a day. Now I'm way less strict and upped my intake, but I also kickbox now a few days a week on top of all the walking. I'm still losing about .5 a week or maybe a little less. Everyone is totally different though. Good luck! :)

Here's my timeline, just for a reference:

mmcgv3zmnvrg.jpg
  • wendy1021
    Options
    It took me only about 2 months to drop my first 20 but since then it's taken me about 3 months to drop the next 10. When I first started losing I wasn't working out at all because I had a fractured knee (but I live in NYC and walk everywhere so maybe crutching around a few miles a day counts as working out?) and I was also only eating 1200 calories a day. Now I'm way less strict and upped my intake, but I also kickbox now a few days a week on top of all the walking. I'm still losing about .5 a week or maybe a little less. Everyone is totally different though. Good luck! :)

Here's my timeline, just for a reference:

mmcgv3zmnvrg.jpg

Great job on your weight loss. Thanks for sharing your story :smiley:
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)
    I started at 248.8 on 2/17, and have lost 24.6lbs(224.2) as of today. For me, it was a quick loss, but I don't deprive myself. I eat 1600-1900cals a day, and workout ~3x a week, more often if possible, and I eat half my exercise calories back.. So for me, it's been a quick loss so far, but not everyone can expect results like that(I'm expecting it to slow down soon!).

I was eating terrible foods(sodas 3-4x daily, nachos & cheese daily, junk food, everything!), and not watching how much I was eating... I pretty much eliminated one thing bad thing at a time, started weighing all of my foods, and now I'm feeling much better...
    Losing the almost 25 pounds has given me insight that I can do this, no matter how long it is going to take me to get there! I'm finally at a lower weight than when I started(for the first of many times) in 2013. I still eat junk food on occasion, but I definitely have a better view of portion sizes and moderation!

In all honesty, if you're trying to lose weight, don't focus on how long it will take for the weight to disappear... Focus on how your body starts to feel by making the right choices and (in my case) how much lighter you feel on your feet! You can make it there, it's just one step at a time!

Good luck! :)
  • wendy1021
    Options
    chubbard9 wrote: »
    Hi there :)
    I started at 248.8 on 2/17, and have lost 24.6lbs(224.2) as of today. For me, it was a quick loss, but I don't deprive myself. I eat 1600-1900cals a day, and workout ~3x a week, more often if possible, and I eat half my exercise calories back.. So for me, it's been a quick loss so far, but not everyone can expect results like that(I'm expecting it to slow down soon!).

I was eating terrible foods(sodas 3-4x daily, nachos & cheese daily, junk food, everything!), and not watching how much I was eating... I pretty much eliminated one thing bad thing at a time, started weighing all of my foods, and now I'm feeling much better...
    Losing the almost 25 pounds has given me insight that I can do this, no matter how long it is going to take me to get there! I'm finally at a lower weight than when I started(for the first of many times) in 2013. I still eat junk food on occasion, but I definitely have a better view of portion sizes and moderation!

In all honesty, if you're trying to lose weight, don't focus on how long it will take for the weight to disappear... Focus on how your body starts to feel by making the right choices and (in my case) how much lighter you feel on your feet! You can make it there, it's just one step at a time!

Good luck! :)

Thank you, and great job on losing the weight :)

• katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    On average, it takes me around 5-6 months to lose 30 pounds, but I started with 82-107 pounds to lose. If you only have 30 pounds to go, you should expect to lose around a pound per week for the first 10-15 weeks, and then half a pound for the rest. In other words, it would be reasonable to expect it to take around a year.
  • LizBelle2015
    LizBelle2015 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months to lose 30 pounds. No exercise but restricted my calories to mainly protein and fats.